Show us yer film shots then!

One or two of you are aware that I fell foul to a sudden change in weather whilst up a mountainside with LF kit a couple of days back.
As I was waiting for light, I passed time surfing on TP.
A couple of pics of the saga can be seen here:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-4x5-field-camera.636352/page-49#post-8636360

Anyway, after descending about 300ft, the wind calmed, the rain/ sleet nearly stopped and patches of sun / blue sky appeared so the fact that the gear was already damp/wet , I climbed back up! :wideyed:

Got all composed and set up with filters etc again during which time the light had gone back to being flat so another wait.:rolleyes:

10 mins or so and a return of howling wind and sleet:banghead:

Darkcloth draped over the camera, I stuck it out ( the cloth works extremely well as a camera raincoat.)

Eventually some sun broke through, along with a part rainbow which sadly was off to the LHS of the scene.

Regardless of the light still not being really what I wanted, I'd had enough of battling with the elements so fired the shutter before attempting to keep everything as dry as possible whilst packing away ( for the second time!)

I got a result:)

Not the best that might have been available with the ever changing light but it's not bad.

I might clean it up some more to print it, purely for the fact that it took such a bloody effort to obtain it!:LOL:

View attachment 270190
Top marks for perseverance Asha, well worth your patience. Would love to see that printed big, that sky is fantastic.

i69lzf.jpg

The St.Quentin Canal from the Riqueval Bridge, 2018, Nikon F3/ Kodak T-Max 400/ DDX

Last edited:
Two shots of my local station - a beautiful Art Deco affair that I personally think is quite a handsome building. I am currently going though a clear out of all things unused, one such thing being an Olympus trip I purchased years ago and never used that had a half finished roll in it from 2017! So I burned up the roll and shot these two on the last few frames of an old roll of FujiFilm 400 when the sunset was particularly fiery earlier this week. I have since sold the Oly Trip. Trying a different scanning approach as my Vuescan seems to provide a soft rendition, and the Epson software seems a lit sharper, but a bit more noisy...,

img057
by S8, on Flickr

img056
by S8, on Flickr

Ooh I like those. Somehow reminiscent of those old Cassandre posters for travel companies. Beautiful light. Really suits the subject.

I love that Nige. Every time I see a good Holga shot, and yours are usually exceptionally so, I feel as though my efforts are completely inadequate.

Thanks Toby, appreciate the compliment. Looking at your Somme photographs on your website, and the pictures on your Instagram feed, the last thing you should consider yourself as is inadequate. There are many, many beautiful images in those collections.

Thanks Toby, appreciate the compliment. Looking at your Somme photographs on your website, and the pictures on your Instagram feed, the last thing you should consider yourself as is inadequate. There are many, many beautiful images in those collections.

It's very generous of you to say so. I do think I need to find myself a decent Holga though, and almost certainly a MF film camera this year. I think I'm just no longer completely satisfied with digital, there's almost always something that's just not there, and that 'whatever it is' often most obviously is there in Holga images. It has something to do emotion, and the imperfect way we remember visual things, I think.

Thanks also for the insta follow, which it gives me great pleasure to reciprocate.

Following recent heavy rainfall I chose to do a re-shoot of the Cascade de Piaon, a scene that i actually posted in here last summer.
This time though the place was deserted so was able to set up and compose from whatever location I wanted;)
The dangerous descent into the gorge, is even more dodgy, the ground becoming more and more susceptible to falling away into the ravine…….I can see it being closed off to the public before long which would be a real shame as it is a beautiful location. :(

Anyway i think that this file may be finding it's way to the printer:)

EDIT: The popularity of the place with the younger generations can be seen with the ropes hung from the tree. Throwing themselves off the higher rocks on both sides of the cascade is a daring feat by some ( the higher the better evidentl:wideyed:) ....Fortunately the plunge pool is deep!!

Cascade de Piaon TP.jpg

Last edited:
Following recent heavy rainfall I chose to do a re-shoot of the Cascade de Piaon, a scene that i actually posted in here last summer.
This time though the place was deserted so was able to set up and compose from whatever location I wanted;)
The dangerous descent into the gorge, is even more dodgy, the ground becoming more and more susceptible to falling away into the ravine…….I can see it being closed off to the public before long which would be a real shame as it is a beautiful location. :(

Anyway i think that this file may be finding it's way to the printer:)

EDIT: The popularity of the place with the younger generations can be seen with the ropes hung from the tree. Throwing themselves off the higher rocks on both sides of the cascade is a daring feat by some ( the higher the better evidentl:wideyed:) ....Fortunately the plunge pool is deep!!

View attachment 271025

That a lovely shot Asha

Holga GFN, Ilford Delta 100 in Xtol
Image10 by Chris H, on Flickr

Digging the Holga shots people are producing at the moment. Please don't make me get one :D

That a lovely shot Asha

Digging the Holga shots people are producing at the moment. Please don't make me get one :D

Cheers Steveo[emoji106].......if it warrants a comment from you then it’s defo for the printer[emoji6]

Holga......[emoji848]I dunno. There’s been one or two images that I’ve liked but i doubt I would want to print a result.
I did have a holga years ago and found it crap but I’ve learnt more since then.
I have a pinhole lens board for LF as I was tempted to have a play but I keep wondering if it’s worth a sheet of film tbh.
No disrespect to those who are enjoying the holga experience but it’s not a camera I would go back to.

Cheers Steveo[emoji106].......if it warrants a comment from you then it’s defo for the printer[emoji6]

Holga......[emoji848]I dunno. There’s been one or two images that I’ve liked but i doubt I would want to print a result.
I did have a holga years ago and found it crap but I’ve learnt more since then.
I have a pinhole lens board for LF as I was tempted to have a play but I keep wondering if it’s worth a sheet of film tbh.
No disrespect to those who are enjoying the holga experience but it’s not a camera I would go back to.

Well there is always the philosophy:- "that if a shot is worth taking then you should use the best equipment to get the best result that you can afford".
For me it does seem strange to use pinhole or something else inferior.... to use for a beautiful scene\subject. But whatever floats your boat.

Well there is always the philosophy:- "that if a shot is worth taking then you should use the best equipment to get the best result that you can afford".
For me it does seem strange to use pinhole or something else inferior.... to use for a beautiful scene\subject. But whatever floats your boat.

It all comes down to the effect that the tug wants.
In some ways, similar can be said of LF as using movements to place areas of the scene oof isn’t what some would consider the best result.

In some ways, similar can be said of LF as using movements to place areas of the scene oof isn’t what some would consider the best result.
... or even intentionally moving the camera ... ;)

This is the exposure that involved weighing everything down with boulders ( tbh I could have done to have put some in my pockets! :LOL:) to losing kit and camera shake.

It was also a contender for this months FPOTY but I thought it was a bit cliché, hence I entered something different.

Stormy.jpg

Well if you always use a very good lens for shots it's more versatile in that you have the option of very good prints etc and can also down grade the image to simulate pin hole etc by filters or Photoshop but a shot from a "bottle glass" lens you can't go up to simulate a shot from very good lens for prints etc ...anyway just saying o_O;)

I bought my Holga for the aesthetics of the images it produces. It may well be technically inferior as a piece of equipment, but for the desired look I got it for, it's far superior. It does that specific job very well.

The more photos I make, the more I realise that gear, process and technique is of little interest to me* - it's just something I use as a means to an end. The only thing that really matters to me is the final image.

* This obviously doesn't stop me buying more gear! :D

EDIT - I'll also add a caveat that one significant part of the process - shooting film - is important to me. I just find it more tactile and pleasurable experience compared to shooting digital.

Last edited:
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
Henri Cartier-Bresson
If I add "sharpness is over-rated", I hope it doesn't spawn another thread derailment. However, it's true for me; given a certain minimum sharpness at critical points, other features of an image interest me much more than "critical sharpness". But I'm just a bloke who likes making pictures for his own pleasure!

Back