Show us yer film shots then!

Loaned The Beast -- NIKON F5 by a Camera Club Member who got it for doing Weddings as second Photographer then all work went up the spout with his Health so never used it for YEARS ! WoW !! The WEIGHT !! The LENS which came with it was AF Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 D and I used it with a couple of other lenses. I have tried all the 'Exposure Modes;' but kept it on 'Single Shot Wind and Single Shot Focus'
AF Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 D + 09/2004 dated Fuji Superia X-TRA 400 rated 160 ASA

NIKON F5 Tests : 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
NIKON F5 Tests : 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
NIKON F5 Tests : 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Nikkor Manual Focus 105mm f2.5 + Bowens flash + Small flash from rear with Slave Unit
NIKON F5 Tests : 08 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Nikkor Manual Focus 50mm f1.8
NIKON F5 Tests: 06 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Took my Yashica 635 out to Red Rocks here on the Wirral, with a roll of expired Provia 400X. I scanned them last night on my V700 but need to test out some different height spacers with the scanning mount because I’m not 100% happy with the sharpness (I added quite a lot in post)

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Also took it to Quarry Bank Mill;

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

I’m going to digitise the same frames with my Pixl-Latr/A7 and compare the results.

Took my Yashica 635 out to Red Rocks here on the Wirral, with a roll of expired Provia 400X. I scanned them last night on my V700 but need to test out some different height spacers with the scanning mount because I’m not 100% happy with the sharpness (I added quite a lot in post)

View attachment 293911

View attachment 293912

View attachment 293914

View attachment 293915

I’m going to digitise the same frames with my Pixl-Latr/A7 and compare the results.
...... if I can remember you, your kids are your double (y)

View attachment 293911

View attachment 293912

View attachment 293914

View attachment 293915

Yes, a 635 should be a lot sharper than that (nudging Rolleiflex). Have you missed focus, as the foreground in some of them looks sharper?

An example from a Yashikor lensed 1964 635 scanned on my Epson V600.

Last edited:
Yes, a 635 should be a lot sharper than that (nudging Rolleiflex). Have you missed focus, as the foreground in some of them looks sharper?

An example from a Yashikor lensed 1964 635 scanned on my Epson V600.

Cheers. I've definitely got sharper results from the 635 before;

https://flic.kr/s/aHskaW2Bpu

(most of those were scanned with an older V500)

I'm a little frustrated with the V700, including the Better Scanning ANR mount I've got with it, so am toying with ditching it entirely.

I'm a little frustrated with the V700, including the Better Scanning ANR mount I've got with it, so am toying with ditching it entirely.
If you haven't seen it, there's a piece on getting the best scanning height on a V750 on the July edition of Photography online. It's 30 minutes in.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34VKMyp6sGUphy

Last edited:

I've never been that impressed with the seemingly rather flimsy plastic film holders I got with my V600, but they seem to do the job OK most of the time unless the film is particularly curly. Perhaps there's an opportunity there for a future design project for you? :)

I've never been that impressed with the seemingly rather flimsy plastic film holders I got with my V600, but they seem to do the job OK most of the time unless the film is particularly curly. Perhaps there's an opportunity there for a future design project for you? :)

The little platic peg snapped off my V550 120 holder yesterday. It still works ok without it, but I'm not surprised that it came off.

The Plustek holders are much better for keeping 135 film flat as they have cross bars between frames. They're no good if you shoot Xpan, half-frame, or rune 35mm film through a medium format camera though.

Sorry, I should have asked whether it was a Dodge.

Some pictures from an adventure in Houston in 1980'ish. Memories clouded by exposure to pharmaceuticals. But, Yashica FR1 with 35mm ML lens.

First Dave Stuehm's Dodge truck, his everyday transport. No side windows by the way. When I got angry at other drivers on the freeway he cautioned me that most drivers in Houston carried a gun, and might use it.

DAVESTUEHMSDODGETRUCK_JPEG5.jpg

Next the car park of La Quinta motel. The throng of 'roaches in my bathroom was a wildlife joy to behold.

LAQUINTAMOTEL_JPEG5.jpg

Finally my loan car, a Mercury. Especially good because, being LHD automatic you could drive and sup a beer in one hand at the same time. The bonnet was almost stripped of paint because the guy I borrowed it from was a salesman who worked Texas City refineries and chemical plants.

PETESMERCURY_PARKINGLOT_AAATECHNOLOGY_JPEG5.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have asked whether it was a Dodge.

Some pictures from an adventure in Houston in 1980'ish. Memories clouded by exposure to pharmaceuticals. But, Yashica FR1 with 35mm ML lens.

First Dave Stuehm's Dodge truck, his everyday transport. No side windows by the way. When I got angry at other drivers on the freeway he cautioned me that most drivers in Houston carried a gun, and might use it.

View attachment 294066

Next the car park of La Quinta motel. The throng of 'roaches in my bathroom was a wildlife joy to behold.

View attachment 294067

Finally my loan car, a Mercury. Especially good because, being LHD automatic you could drive and sup a beer in one hand at the same time. The bonnet was almost stripped of paint because the guy I borrowed it from was a salesman who worked Texas City refineries and chemical plants.

View attachment 294068

I like how the first picture tells a mini story of you parking your loan car at a canted angle and jumping out without closing the door in order to photograph Dave's Dodge. :)

Iceland Store, BRENTWOOD Essex ( England) -- I'm always asked to take a snap when they see me with a camera -- I try out things there ! -- Here I tried the 'Borrowed NIKON F5' with a manual focus 50mm f1.8 Nikkor at full aperture and outdated Fuji Press 800
2020-09-28-0004.jpg

The negatives arrived back today from the two test films I shot recently. Firstly from my freshly serviced Canon A1, all the frames were perfectly spaced and the metering looks spot on too - not bad for a camera that's 39 years old. All with a Canon FD 28-85 f/4 on Kodak Gold 200.

50402559291_6b1c60329c_b.jpg

50402720532_4d639ce1da_c.jpg

50401864918_eb50bde09e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Then there's the film I ran through my old Petacon Pentina 35mm SLR dating from 1963/4. I'd not put a film through this camera for over 5 years but I needn't have worried, as it still seems to work OK (probably one of the few examples of this camera that still does!). Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f/2.8 on Kodak Gold 200.

Home grown damson crumble anyone? And yes, it was very nice indeed! :)

50402720452_091f28c36d_b.jpg

The obligatory country lane shot.

50402559226_ddb3ee2b09_c.jpg

Last edited:
I put a roll of HP5 through my late dad's Leica iiic w/Summitar 5cm f2 over the last month or so, to see if it was still ok as it hadn't been used since before he died over 32 years ago. The shutter speed notches were a bit hit or miss, but exposures came out relatively ok (minor LR tweaks for contrast):
20201002-Aspiration-.jpg20201002-FishingLake-.jpg20201002-NestingSwan-.jpg20201002-QuarryLake--2.jpg20201002-QuarryLake--3.jpg

Is that Westward Ho ! Mads ?

Yashica Mat 124G
Kodak Ektachrome 100 EPN (expired 2008)

Further down Sidney Street by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Gosh.
My brother-in-law used to repair cars in a garage in Sydney Street in the 1970's.
I remember in winter it being a dark, wet, freezing cold outhouse smelling of congealed engine oil and welding torch.
It's good you're documenting these old bits of Sheffield before they go for good.

Gosh.
My brother-in-law used to repair cars in a garage in Sydney Street in the 1970's.
I remember in winter it being a dark, wet, freezing cold outhouse smelling of congealed engine oil and welding torch.
It's good you're documenting these old bits of Sheffield before they go for good.

I reckon it will have changed significantly since then. :)

It seems to change every time I walk around that area if I'm honest, but there are still plenty of interesting bits to see and photograph - including some of the modern buildings as well as the old.

Yes mate, down by the Pier House, what used to be the Elizabethan. I've lived down here for nearly thirty years, a good chunk of that in Westward Ho! itself and I'd never been to have a look at the old pier stumps.

I have relatives down there on Alantic way and spent most of my childhood holidays there ( 6 or 7 a year) Plus a lot of holidays with my children.Spent some time in the Elizabethan and I have seen some really good entertainment in there myself. Is the house on the cliff still standing ?

Couple more folks:-
Well using a 35mm camera for all now and then shots was practically impossible before the 1960s as some shots needed a 20mm lens, so anyone who wanted to do similar for their area (with a 35mm camera) might need a 20mm at times unless you can do some stitching. And have come to the conclusion it would be a lot easier with a digi and zoom lens as I could take umpteen shots until I get one right.
This was said to be taken in the late forties.
R3yRG6R.jpg

and now 28mm but the perspective doesn't look perfect
bdWPDZT.jpg

This shot could be some time about 1910
KonZf0R.jpg

and now but looks like I was in the wrong position and the chimney stack on the right couldn't be seen because of boarding and overgrown..and a puzzle is:- that I used a 20mm lens but the old shot shows buildings in the background enlarged,,. maybe I should have used a longer lens
nC1tfbu.jpg

Last edited:
I have relatives down there on Alantic way and spent most of my childhood holidays there ( 6 or 7 a year) Plus a lot of holidays with my children.Spent some time in the Elizabethan and I have seen some really good entertainment in there myself. Is the house on the cliff still standing ?

Weirdly, I spent most of my summers til I moved down at 11 at relatives on Atlantic Way too. The house is indeed still standing, but the old people who lived there, brother and sister, one passed on and the other moved to a home. Its owned by the Braddick family now, and they've got plans to make it into like a mini hotel.

Last one folks although I have plenty...this one is probably more interesting to me as I used to dress like the boys. Again it's difficult to match cameras and lenses from about 1910 to about 1950 with a 35mm camera, and the cars or planted trees etc sometimes get in the way trying to get the same viewpoint anyway:-
wTCxDMi.jpg

and today using 20mm
gWFrJ3u.jpg

the perspective doesn't look perfect
looks like I was in the wrong position and the chimney stack on the right couldn't be seen because of boarding and overgrown
Again it's difficult to match cameras and lenses from about 1910 to about 1950

Bri, don't natter about getting them perfectly matched.
Like the scenes themselves and the buildings etc within that have changed over time, so have cameras and lenses ;)

FWIW I'm really enjoying viewing these 'before and after' images that you're posting.
It's an idea that I've considered doing many times but never found enough motivation, so kudos to you (y)
Please continue with them......I for one wish to see lots more;)

Bri, don't natter about getting them perfectly matched.
Like the scenes themselves and the buildings etc within that have changed over time, so have cameras and lenses ;)

FWIW I'm really enjoying viewing these 'before and after' images that you're posting.
It's an idea that I've considered doing many times but never found enough motivation, so kudos to you (y)
Please continue with them......I for one wish to see lots more;)

Thanks and I read about Sospel that it was heavily bombed by the Nazis and rebuilt so you could probably do some now and then shots. (y)

Back