Show us yer film shots then!

Expired Portra 400NC
Rollei 35B

50641860197_b79601cd37_o.jpg

Cabbage-al-la-Weston
Cabbage-al-la-Weston by Chris H, on Flickr

MPP Micro technical, Fomapan 400

Is this a 5x4 shot Chris, or do you have a 6x9 back on the camera? If the former, I'd be curious as to your scanning method on your V550. I know you've mentioned scanning in two halves and then stitching the results?

I'm toying with the idea of a 5x4 camera at some point (although not yet), but don't fancy having to upgrade my flatbed at the same time!

I'm toying with the idea of a 5x4 camera at some point (although not yet), but don't fancy having to upgrade my flatbed at the same time!

Huhmm, I may be able to help you with that.....;-)

Keep a weather eye on the classified section. Sometime soon a magical thing will appear. :)

Is this a 5x4 shot Chris, or do you have a 6x9 back on the camera? If the former, I'd be curious as to your scanning method on your V550. I know you've mentioned scanning in two halves and then stitching the results?

It is 4x5, I cropped the top off because it was just black and I liked the uncomfortably tight crop at the top.

For scanning I do use the V550, scan in two halves (actually more like 2/3 each way) and then use Panorama Merge in Lightroom, I guess any other panorama merge software would work. The main thing is don't change the scanner settings between the two scans and obviously the panorama merge is only going to work if the two scans are rotated correctly so that the overlapping edge is to the right on the left hand image and to the left on the right hand image.

In terms of positioning I used to just place the 120 negative holder on the scanner glass and then slide the 4x5 neg underneath until the edge of the neg was against the edge of the opening in the 120 holder. This worked OK but I was a bit concerned about scratching the negative so I now have a piece of 2mm picture glass with some PVC electrical tape on the back to hold it slightly off the scanner glass to avoid scratching and Newton's rings and on the top I have more tape to align the negative. You also need a small square of masking tape on the top left corner of the glass because the scanner uses this to detect if a film holder is in place, that took a bit of head scratching to work out.

ETA - BTW I do have a 6x9 120 back for the MPP but it is a pain to use.

Last edited:
It is 4x5, I cropped the top off because it was just black and I liked the uncomfortably tight crop at the top.

For scanning I do use the V550, scan in two halves (actually more like 2/3 each way) and then use Panorama Merge in Lightroom, I guess any other panorama merge software would work. The main thing is don't change the scanner settings between the two scans and obviously the panorama merge is only going to work if the two scans are rotated correctly so that the overlapping edge is to the right on the left hand image and to the left on the right hand image.

In terms of positioning I used to just place the 120 negative holder on the scanner glass and then slide the 4x5 neg underneath until the edge of the neg was against the edge of the opening in the 120 holder. This worked OK but I was a bit concerned about scratching the negative so I now have a piece of 2mm picture glass with some PVC electrical tape on the back to hold it slightly off the scanner glass to avoid scratching and Newton's rings and on the top I have more tape to align the negative. You also need a small square of masking tape on the top left corner of the glass because the scanner uses this to detect if a film holder is in place, that took a bit of head scratching to work out.

Thanks Chris. That's useful info to have. (y)

A few times used the RB67 with some old FP4 and just as well I used the RB as I made a cock up with a portrait shot, the girl had bulky leather jacket as was half turned towards me.....well when I saw the photo it looked like she had massive shoulders and a humped back :eek:. doing a large crop and the result still had some quality.
To me the shot looks just about ok but for experts who want to criticise it seems to lost some sparkle and tones (but the girl had a deep sun tan so couldn't have a white face)....must be my developing cock up. :rolleyes:
KQGnB1B.jpg

Last edited:
Bronica ETRSI & 40mm MC lens by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

Rest of the set here:

Was undecided where to post this , here or in the shared outings thread but think more suited here although it does include a bit of a ‘story’

Just wet printed this 12x10RC print.
The guy is sat outside his shop / honey producing ‘factory’ where he sells his honey and associated products.

He has some bee hives close by behind the building and others located in different locations on the outskirts of the village.

He sits here every afternoon ‘reading ‘ the same book .
The thing is he often has the book held upside down so clearly it’s simply there as a prop! Lol

He is a character with an incredibly strong Sospelois accent that at times is incomprehensible.

This was a chance exposure on a grey dingy late afternoon last week.m using the snapshot camera whilst out for my allocated walk/ physical activity time.
Even pushing the fomapan to 1600 needed a 1/15 shutter speed.
Very reluctantly I chanced 1/50 ( 1/100 is my prefered minimal handheld) and naturally got a rather thin negative .

Nonetheless, detail is there but so is aconsiderable amount of softness from a mix of lighting, film pushing, possible slight subject movement and the use of hyperfocal focusing.

Using the split grading method, it took a number of tests to get an ‘acceptable’result, the difficulty being getting contrast whilst retaining some luminosity in the guys face.
The first full print attempt seen in the images below is far too dark.

Yes I realise that I could possibly get a better result by dodging but there again, maybe not.
I might have a play at that tomorrow evening.

For tonight this will suffice..... even if it’s not a keeper for me, t’old fella will be happy with his portrait.

606D7DAB-2717-4F38-9788-46B314656F88.jpegE55BE148-8B2E-45F6-B992-F622E3EAE2FF.jpeg44C1A442-FB07-487D-975E-F70AB60E0B83.jpeg

Last edited:
He is a character with an incredibly strong Sospelois accent that at times is incomprehensible.

:D
Do you think a crop or longer lens would be better as the window and road are of no importance

:D
Do you think a crop or longer lens would be better as the window and road are of no importance

agreed that ideally a longer lens for portrait is better but with the Snapshot camera I have a 90mm permanently fitted( possible to change and mount other focal lengths), but I chose 90 mainly to allow a decent dof at f/11or f16whilst attempting to maintain a shutter speed of 1/100 minimum due to being handheld shooting.
Even pushing film to 1600, with failing light , it’s no easy task to get the shutter speed so a longer lens will just increase that problem.

In any case, the building and the road kinda place him in location..... chez lui! ;)

agreed that ideally a longer lens for portrait is better but with the Snapshot camera I have a 90mm permanently fitted( possible to change and mount other focal lengths), but I chose 90 mainly to allow a decent dof at f/11or f16whilst attempting to maintain a shutter speed of 1/100 minimum due to being handheld shooting.
Even pushing film to 1600, with failing light , it’s no easy task to get the shutter speed so a longer lens will just increase that problem.

In any case, the building and the road kinda place him in location..... chez lui! ;)

Just noticed that you have done crops :eggface:

I may have already posted a scan of this earlier this year .
Village center with the focus purposely blurred to the sides leaving a vertical line of focused area through the center ( slightly off center) of the image.
Marmite without a doubt but it works for me .

i particularly like the bit of light falling on the mountainside in the distance.
20D55A33-1439-411A-B80C-71679D5B23F5.jpeg

So on the main road there is an inflatable Santa that is literally as big as a house.

Needless to say, in the spirit of the Brocolli Tree, there will always be someone who will want to destroy it. It's now deflated. Just got the 1 pic on Washi F which isn't really ideal but hey ho.

Canon F-1n, Washi-F, 28mm f/2.8FD
2020-12-06-washiF-canon f1n-15.jpg

Back