Boat, Normandy. Olympus XA

Moorings - Staithes print.jpg
Roxby Beck, Staithes. Rank-Mamiya 35mm Rangefinder

zara .jpg
Zara. Olympus XA with Flash.

runswick boathouse.jpg

Boathouse, Runswick Bay. Agfa 6x6 folder

The Ship Inn - Saltburn.jpg

Ship Inn, Saltburn. Rank-Mamiya rangefinder. (Poor scan)

Last edited:
I find it remarkable how fine that grain is on Tri-X Nige, what's your secret?
It's probably the Ilfotec DD-X. It tends to give very fine grain as long as I handle the development ok.
Starting from a 6x9 negative probably helps just a wee bit (*) on diminishing the apparent grain!

(* I'm guessing, a lot?)

Good question, I haven't really checked them for grain just density/overall exposure, I'll look them out and check on the lightbox. Are you thinking poor scanning?
Well it's a possibility.
I doubt the lab will use filtering or resolutions the same as home scanners.
I could be wrong.

I get them scanned as Hi-Res TIFFs 50+ mb
Do you have your own scanner?
I home scan at generally 3200dpi using Silverfast 9.
I also apply some grain reduction which works really well.

I have to say, I think you'd be doing yourself a favour home processing. At least you have control.

Thanks. The camera and format are doing a lot of legwork. It has a very sharp lens and the 6x9 negatives it produces hold a lot of resolution.
Looks like you've nailed home processing too.
I'm going to have a go with Tri-X in 5x4 thanks to you.

Do you have your own scanner?
I home scan at generally 3200dpi using Silverfast 9.
I also apply some grain reduction which works really well.

I have to say, I think you'd be doing yourself a favour home processing. At least you have control.
No, I did think about it but I couldn't justify the outlay of money or time given the small amount of film I shoot, plus most of my film shooting is either Provia 100F or Portra 160/400 so the processing would be more difficult. I think I've found a good lab now in A+M Film Lab.

No, I did think about it but I couldn't justify the outlay of money or time given the small amount of film I shoot, plus most of my film shooting is either Provia 100F or Portra 160/400 so the processing would be more difficult. I think I've found a good lab now in A+M Film Lab.
Well Portra is standard C41 processing which is a doddle.
Provia, being E6 is a bit more time consuming.
Regarding B&W processing, that's as cheap as chips and is the easiest of them all.

Granted, if you don't shoot much film then you would struggle with costs. You do however get total control of the process from start to finish.

It was raining heavily and the light had dropped when I took this photo. I had to open the aperture to f/5.6 and, as I was getting wet, set the focus to infinity. Even at the distance they are, the signs and the trains are still not quite sharp - infinity focus was behind them still as you can see in the more distant buildings. 6x9 negatives, eh? :)

Fujica GW690
Kodak Tri-X
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 8mins @ 20°

The train on Platform 3 by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Back