weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2013

Hi Chris

yup , we all have weeks like these.....the really irritating thing is over the next few weeks you'll likely see plenty of candidates for Still !

Slightly lower POV for me...guessing the bg is black paper/card curved up....can just see a lighter area toward the base of the bottle & glass...a touch more light on the lower area of the glass & bottle to bring out the color a bit more maybe ?

Whimiscal.....I'm liking that....one of my favourite kids tales...love the backdrop & the not quite B&W......couple of little hotspots on Hook's hat which could be cloned out I suspect . Wonder what the color version is like ?

cheers

Thanks everyone......yeah "still", completely uninspired and boring. I couldn't even be bothered to edit it properly! I know I could have smoothed the background out a little and brightened the bottom, but....cba! As for the angle, actually that was by choice to see the ice cubes.....

Good shot and idea for whimsical...... well created too with the map for the background..

I prefer the second shot, I'm not too keen on photos of existing works of art but this angle seems to capture the movement of the piece.

So this week a composite from me again.

I am a little unsure about the mid-tones and how I've pushed the highlights down. I've been trying to catch this location on a day with interesting sky, but its just not panned out. With the sky all grey but also bright, I was in two minds how much to bring the highlights down....I'm sure it will split opinion :)

Week 37 - Power by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi

Curve i like the first one, the white against the blue sky works really well.

Power the fact that you have chosen different views of the pylon rather than the usual views works for me, though the road sign although on theme doesn't seem to sit right with the other two pics seems a little out of place, maybe its the placement of it in the triptych :thinking:

Hi Curve i like the first one, the white against the blue sky works really well. Power the fact that you have chosen different views of the pylon rather than the usual views works for me, though the road sign although on theme doesn't seem to sit right with the other two pics seems a little out of place, maybe its the placement of it in the triptych :thinking:

Ahhhh yes....I suppose that's my prob with the shot selection, there isn't anything to tie the signpost in with the other two...it makes sense to me because the pylon and sub station are on electric avenue in Nottingham....i may take a look at my other shots and see if I can come up with a better grouping. Problem is it's not possible to get the sign and pylon or substation in the same shot....at least I don't think so. Perhaps I need to put this in my reshoot box and go there again at some point.

[edit] - as suspected the other shots I have aren't going to make the sign fit in better. will keep it in mind for a reshoot. cheers.

Last edited:
Ahhhh yes....I suppose that's my prob with the shot selection, there isn't anything to tie the signpost in with the other two...it makes sense to me because the pylon and sub station are on electric avenue in Nottingham....i may take a look at my other shots and see if I can come up with a better grouping. Problem is it's not possible to get the sign and pylon or substation in the same shot....at least I don't think so. Perhaps I need to put this in my reshoot box and go there again at some point.

[edit] - as suspected the other shots I have aren't going to make the sign fit in better. will keep it in mind for a reshoot. cheers.

What i was trying to say was that the sign is a sort of introduction to the other two pics so maybe top left would work i feel it has to be first as it were

Hi Chris, Whimical I do like, great for the theme and lovely job processing those two images into the composite - can't fault the execution at all.

three good ones for curve, would have been hard to pick just the one. I think i prefer the white papery one, just for the unusualness of it. Works great with the blue sky.

and electric, well processes images of a good subject for the theme. Good selection of three differing shots for the tryptich. I think it works the way they are, I guess it depends if you;re reading it like a book (top left across and down to the next line) or as an image, where the bottom left corner is the obvious point of entry for your eyes.

(y)

Hi Chris

Curve.....all neat shots but #3 wins by a country mile for me , really jumps out of the screen , love the color & sharpness :clap: what is it please ?

I like the yellow one as well but it's slightly spoilt for me by the shadow , #1 one is a great contrast between white n blue but I keep coming back to #3

Power.....good to see a different angle on pylons , like the triptych & quite like the sign for it's obviousness , maybe needs to be a touch brighter overall :thinking:

I agree with Lynne! good take on the theme.

If you could adjust the white in the road sign to make it white I suspect it would boost the overall contract.

Cheers.

Well for now I've skipped over solitude because I had an idea for sweet, but I'll be back to it shortly.

Been playing with the "high key" mode on my camera but have to say was not overly impressed. I wanted to make use of the really bright sun to naturally light and have quite high exposure for this shot. I'm not sure I really pulled it off and I'm not keen on some of the shadows, but its not miles away from what I imagined.

I did try a white backdrop, but unfortunately this created more shadow and did not make best use of the sunlight.

Week 39 - Sweet by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Really like the whites on this one. Have you used selective colouring? The colours stand out really well. The shadows however, don't appear natural??

Thanks for the comments..

It's 100% naturally lit with bright sunshine from behind and to the left. The sweets were placed on my bedroom window sill and I manually set the WB against the white window sill. Then highlights and exposure was pushed up quite a bit and I reduced the saturation....

The shadows are the only thing I don't like about the shot, the darkness behind is because that's the edge of the window. I tried to remove all but the foreground shadows but could not get the edge around the top of the pile of sweets looking natural and not like sharp cutout edge so I left it as is. I suspect some LED lights may have helped me but I don't have any...maybe I'll put some on my Christmas list ;)

think if the shadows had not been mentioned I wouldnt have noticed them.

Nicely done, the detail kept in the clear cellophane and the bright colours on the lableing stand out for me. the unstaged angle of the one in the packet adds a nice bit of naturality (if that's a word) to it.

Hi

as someone else said nice whites but as you say yourself too many shadows especially in the BG nicely composed though

I like it.

RE the For the shadows; If you ever do something like this again, you can cut a circular hole in a piece of white card and stick your lens through the hole, the card will reflect some light back into the shadows. :)

Sweet, yum yum. Damn shadows :bat: overall good attempt. Nice colours and the brightness works for me. I'd like to see all the text in focus.

Cheers

OK, here is the one I skipped over. Not very imaginative I'm afraid
I am finding that what I need is more time to think about the shots rather than actually taking them and of late that time has been scarce. I will be sticking in right to the very last week though, have no fear!

So here is my solitude shot for week 38, "eating alone"

Week 38 - Solitude by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi

That works for me i take it its selective colour :thinking: usually something i don't really like but the splash of red really helps with the overall result

yeah I have a preset fro LR which is "selective red" desaturation except for the reds

btw how do you get that flickr thing in your sig? as you can see it isn't working for me. I perhaps have the bbcode wrong but can't work it out.

Hi,
I have no idea how I did that sig thing it was ages ago, I am sure someone will be along soon and point you in the right direction.

I like that, very clean and simple and we have those glasses :)

Back