weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2013

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok count me in!

I need an impetus to take more photos and as I am relatively new around here I have never done this before.

My aim will be to not necessarily stick with a particular style of shot but to get better with my composition and exposure on my new (relatively) nikon d7000. I want to try and do as much of this with my 35mm f/1.8g prime lens as I can. If nothing else this will be a good way of seeing how I improve over the year, and if I don't at least at will be able to take a step back and analyse what I've done come 2014!

Bit late for this first week I know, but will try and get the old brain cells whirring as quickly as I can.

Index to photo posts below or alternatively view my Flickr set HERE

Week 1 - Sin
Week 2 - Season
Week 3 - Gravity
Week 4 - Wild
Week 5 - Space
Week 6 - Work
Week 7 - Gluttony
Week 8 - Time
Week 9 - Juxtaposition
Week 10 - Letter
Week 11 - Electric
Week 12 - Direction
Week 13 - Tacky
Week 14 - Value
Week 15 - Greed
Week 16 - Angle
Week 17 - Rustic
Week 18 - Kind
Week 19 - Vertical
Week 20 - Pattern
Week 21 - Movement 1, Movement 2
Week 22 - Below
Week 23 - Size 1, Size 2, Size 3, Size 4
Week 24 - Process
Week 25 - Rock 1, Rock 2, Rock 3, Rock 4
Week 26 - Pair 1, Pair 2
Week 27 - Shape
Week 28 - Plenty
Week 29 - Speed
Week 30 - Steps
Week 31 - Mono
Week 32 - Connection
Week 33 - Beginning
Week 34 - Still
Week 35 - Whimsical
Week 36 - Curve
Week 37 - Power
Week 38 - Solitude
Week 39 - Sweet
Week 40 - Cut
Week 41 - Live 1, Live 2
Week 42 - Reflection
Week 43 - Melt
Week 44 - Left
Week 45 - Food
Week 46 - Art
Week 47 - Friendship
Week 48 - Sleek
Week 49 - Colour
Week 50 - Fantasy
Week 51 - Fit
Week 52 - Water 1, Water 2

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Welcome in Chris - would you believe the official draw date for the first week isn't until Saturday..... so you're by no means late! Everyone else has just started early :LOL:

Hi ya Chris....welcome to the madhouse :)

look forward to seeing your shots (y)

So slighty different take on the theme from me. I toyed around with several ideas (empty post-christmas alcoholic beverage bottles, half eaten chocolate money, etc.), but this is the one I settled on.

This is one of the many things in my house that is classed as a "sin" :)

Some minor editing in Lightroom on the tones, a little noise reduction, crop at the bottom and a slight sharpening was the order of the day in terms of pp. I stuck to my plan to use my 35mm prime lens; as you can see, wide open it has a VERY shallow DoF.

Week 1 - Sin by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Nice idea....had to check it wasn't my house first. If your plan is to use the 35mm for the whole year then good luck and I'll be keeping a close eye on yours. (y)

Nice idea....had to check it wasn't my house first. If your plan is to use the 35mm for the whole year then good luck and I'll be keeping a close eye on yours. (y)

Thanks. Its certinaly my plan to use the 35mm for the whole year. I'm not sure whether I will be able to stick with it, but I thought it would help improve my composition and I would think by the end of it, I'll know the lens pretty well and what it is fully capable of and best used for in my hands :)

Thanks. Its certinaly my plan to use the 35mm for the whole year. I'm not sure whether I will be able to stick with it, but I thought it would help improve my composition and I would think by the end of it, I'll know the lens pretty well and what it is fully capable of and best used for in my hands :)

Lets just hope the MOON isn't drawn out next :LOL:

Thanks for the apprecaition all...I'm a perfectionist, so this hobby is not necessarily the best choice for me, I am still sat here criticising it to myself. Its a good job this is a weekly challenge otherwise I'd take all year to post one photo most likely ;)

'Ello, this is a cracker, well done. Great angle, DOF and sharp.

Crit, well, not much from me, perhaps WB is a tad yellow/orange :thinking: the white of the paper doesn't look as white as it could be.

Good start.

posiview said:
'Ello, this is a cracker, well done. Great angle, DOF and sharp.

Crit, well, not much from me, perhaps WB is a tad yellow/orange :thinking: the white of the paper doesn't look as white as it could be.

Good start.

Thanks....I ummed and ahhed over that tbh, and preferred it a little warmed up.

Funniest thread yet, the toilet roll pic made me chuckle, but Bart was a great come back. If I'm to be picky, the toilet roll does look a tad off white, but it's a great idea.
Good luck with the 35mm. I'm looking forward to see more.

Hi Chris

Love the thinking behind this (and I also had to check it was not my bathroom)
love how you have gone for not all the the photo in focus

a sin here too.. along with putting empty milk carton back in the fridge! - great take on the theme, makes me miss my 35mm lens even more.. excellent focus and DOF

Love the DOF and the sharpness around the rim of the tube. A very modern idea of sin too... Good stuff!

Ooh that is a naughty sin. Hopefully the perpetrator doesn't double on the sin and put the new one on the wrong way round. :)

Well for starters it's the second of those two, that single stem poking up to the right not being chopped in half - more of the dark up in the top right shows the few flakes of falling snow(?) much more.

Love the shallow DOF the 35mm f/1.8 gives here, you could maybe up the saturation on the yellow channel a bit to give more 'pop' but I think it works well as it is.

overbez said:
Well for starters it's the second of those two, that single stem poking up to the right not being chopped in half - more of the dark up in the top right shows the few flakes of falling snow(?) much more.

Love the shallow DOF the 35mm f/1.8 gives here, you could maybe up the saturation on the yellow channel a bit to give more 'pop' but I think it works well as it is.

Well forecast snowmageddon and I'm away in bristol with work without my camera :(
I may have to result to hunting round the house for something to photograph this weekend for my Season submission I think

I prefer the first of the icicle shots too, compositionally the space just helps balance it up.

dlh said:
I prefer the first of the icicle shots too, compositionally the space just helps balance it up.

Thanks guys, the second image is simply a crop of the first....had a debate with SWMBO and she liked it so I posted both
Personally I agree with the pair of you on the uncropped version.

First for me also, nice composition and good use of B&W.

Thanks for the comments I suppose not all photos are everyone's cup of tea!

Onto gravity now...thinking about some "levitation" photos. I know some probably hate them and they may be overdone, but as I haven't tried it before thought I would give it a shot.

Back