Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

Below is an example of some of the soft images I am getting. This has been cropped to avoid any re-sizing, and has had minimal sharpening and exposure increased in Camera Raw. The lower right corner shows the whole image (re-sized) so you can see how much has been cropped. I would have expected the white letters to be sharp enough to easily read, but don't know why this is so blurred, the distance isn't so great, unless it's heat haze from the ground?
Taken (handheld) on 5Dii, lens at 459mm, 1/1600s, f6.3, iso250, partial metering. Any comments and advice appreciated, thank you.

20961641229_6bc1244033_o.jpg

Looks like heat haze may also have had an impact on the photo, especially at that distance and proximity to the ground.

I've stupidly hired this lens for the weekend. It's not the cheapest thing to hire but it could get even more expensive if I fall in love with it.

Any hints on how to use it? I'm hoping to get to a lower league football game and as I'm reasonably local to Martin mere will try there to try some birds. I've only ever been to Martin Mere once even though I've had a subscription for the last 5 yrs or so (charity donation) so any hints on how to get the best out of this place would be most welcome.

Martin Mere: captive birds for close-ups, including a frame filling Grey Crowned Crane pair in an enclosure with some avocets, whistling ducks and others. Cranes likely to go bonkers without warning and cause chaos so some action shots could be had! The captive birds can be relatively quick. I'd guess the migrants are arriving on the mere itself by now so I'd be spending most of my time in the hides on there, which one depending on where the sun is. The ones on the right from the entrance get harsh light in the afternoons. One of the hides is best for raptors but I don't remember which--I'm sure someone else will know.

I've stupidly hired this lens for the weekend. It's not the cheapest thing to hire but it could get even more expensive if I fall in love with it.

Any hints on how to use it? I'm hoping to get to a lower league football game and as I'm reasonably local to Martin mere will try there to try some birds. I've only ever been to Martin Mere once even though I've had a subscription for the last 5 yrs or so (charity donation) so any hints on how to get the best out of this place would be most welcome.

Initially the lens does seem a bit hefty but after a short time I got used to it. I think the secret if you're handholding is how you manage the weight whilst not shooting-I use a Black Rapid strap so it's ready at my side.
If I know if I'm going to be shooting in the far distance I focus on something in that area,which reduces any focus hunting. I find this particularly helpful for BiF as at a focal length of 600mm they can be really difficult to locate in the view finder.
I've found that when trying to locate a subject I'm tending to have to lower the camera/lens so I can can look over it to get a rough idea in which area to point it then I'll raise it back to my eye.
Once I've focussed on a subject I personally find moving targets easier than stationary targets - maybe this is due to a combination of my lack of technique and the weight of the front heavy lens, it sometimes seems to bob up & down when I'm trying to get a focus-I try to wedge my elbow against my body with my hand on the tripod foot plate ( I've recently fitted a 125mm Arca plate & the extra length has really helped whilst handholding.
I find you can hardly tell if the OS is working as on my copy it doesn't snatch when it engages-the VR on my Nikon lenses snaps in which invariably moves the focus point-so I much prefer the Sigma system.
I hope this helps & sorry for being so long winded!

Last edited:
I find it can be easier to focus / find distant targets by initially focusing at 150mm then pulling out to 600mm while still holding focus on the target.

Top tips guys. I've taken them on board do when it turns up I'll have a play. Plenty of pigeons and magpies to practice on where I am!

Top tips guys. I've taken them on board do when it turns up I'll have a play. Plenty of pigeons and magpies to practice on where I am!

If you do make it to the Crane enclosure in Martin Mere, can you see if there are young cranes about? :)

Little Owl from today trying to hide away-handheld 600mm f6.3 1/400 ISO 1400 Distance approx 30mDSC_15702.jpgDSC_15702.jpg

Thanks for the reply black fox. I've updated the firmware on the lens & the tc still won't play with the 70d, except when in live view mode but can't really use that easily for wildlife. Wonder if it's due to the dual pixel sensor maybe? I'll keep persevering with the 70d (although it has fanned the fires of 7d2 lust) in case a firmware update solves the issue & trial it with the 5d3 & 1.4 convertor but I'm not really keen on losing the wider aperture.
cheers.
The 70d is not enabled for f8 focusing ade ,so it will never a/f with a tc whatever you do ,as said previously I couldn't get mine to give consistent results so it went to the bay of e . Once my lad has played with his new 7d2 a bit i will borrow that and see how it performs .with the lens

Interesting to hear the issues with the 70d, I am really fed up with mine, focusing issues all over the place no matter what lens I use, it has been calibrated during its guarantee, but they seemed to miss the fact the af module must be dodgy. I have had 2 like this. So if the 70d is in warranty, send it back until its right. I just want rid of mine now and don't know where to go next.

To be fair to the 70d I hadn't noticed any problems till I started using it with the 150-600, then it seemed that the autofocus wasn't quite there, don't get me wrong I've had some great results with the combo but it just doesn't seem spot on if you know what I mean. I've been alternating between the 5dmk3 & 70d over the past week & even with a 1.4 tc the 5d is more consistent. I've made the decision to go for a 7d mk2 once I've sold my 70d, hopefully with the same autofocus as the 5d it will perform better, still give me the reach & work with a tc. we'll see....

my sigma never falters on the 1d3 ,if theres any errors there made by me ,the 70d just wasn't consistent at all ,sometimes perfect ,sometimes front focussing sometimes back focussing after no end of i'll give it another chance days i decided to get rid ,my lad has recently acquired a 7d2 once he gets back from his hols i'm hoping to try it out with the lens and go from there .
as i said when it was right it was stunning. but to many misses and not enough hits for me .i played the micro adjust like stevie wonder on the keyboard up down and inside out nothing came of it .

we took the dog down the beach for a walk today ,i always take the camera in case something pops up ,so a off the cuff couple of gull shots in poor light hand held .this combo still does it for me 1D3 & sigma 150-600 Soff the cuff.jpgwalking the dog .jpg

I guess most of you already know it but for any that does not there is a new(ish) Firmware update for both the 150-600 S and 150-600 C, I think it is only for Canon. It is to the to improve the AF accuracy when attached to the TELE CONVERTER TC-1401. I have always been happy with the performance of my 'C' with a 1.4x tc (Canon MkII) but updated the firmware today just in case it also effects my tc. I tried it out this afternoon with the 1.4x tc attached and it worked fine even though the light was absolutely dire. The update take just a couple of minutes with the dock.

Last edited:
Its to early to say if it has improved performance with my Canon 1.4x tc MkII but the firmware update has certainly not done any harm. This is just one of loads of in focus shots I got with the 'C' and the tc attached this afternoon. Poor image as it was ISO 3200 on the 7D2 so not ideal - I was also hand holding which is something I do not normally do when using the 1.4x tc with the lens.
curlew1%20with%20tc%20P_zpsf6waz3j6.jpg

To be fair to the 70d I hadn't noticed any problems till I started using it with the 150-600, then it seemed that the autofocus wasn't quite there, don't get me wrong I've had some great results with the combo but it just doesn't seem spot on if you know what I mean. I've been alternating between the 5dmk3 & 70d over the past week & even with a 1.4 tc the 5d is more consistent. I've made the decision to go for a 7d mk2 once I've sold my 70d, hopefully with the same autofocus as the 5d it will perform better, still give me the reach & work with a tc. we'll see....
Ade, I have both the 5D3 and 7D2 and can confirm that both AF superbly well with a 1.4x tc (canon 1.4x MkII in my case). I am using the 'C' but there is no reason why a tc should not work equally as well on the 'S'.
I am surprised that more folk do not use a tc with these lenses as it is very useful when you are reach limited and IQ is pretty good considering it is at f9. 840mm on the 7D2 gives a FOV equal to 1344mm which can be very handy at times!!!

Last edited:
Do you turn off stabilisation when tripod mounted?
In my experience with the 'C' I would say that you certainly need to turn OS off when on a Tripod (unlike most of the newer Canon IS teles). I have gotten sharp shots on a tripod when I forgot to to switch OS off but some of the times you can see the OS jumping around which can completely bugger up the shot. Also when you are on a decent tripod there is no need whatsoever for OS so why slow things down when there is no need? Sigma also suggest switching off OS when on a pod and I would agree with them.

the latest update from sigma was allegedly for t.c performance ,but there is also an advisory to check your m.a after its been applied .i did mine a couple of weeks ago and had to dial in -6 ,and judging by the two gull shots i posted yesterday ,both were taken in very poor light and hand held at 600mm its done a little bit more than there letting on about .i might be wrong but who knows ,the one of the gull in flight comes from a 8 shot burst and there was only one OOF shot

Hi Roy, thanks for confirming the af, makes pressing the big scary BUY NOW button easier! Just out of curiosity guys, what's the slowest shutter speed you have had success with handheld? I've got 1/1250th dialed in as a custom with auto iso but on static subjects I've managed 1/160th at 600mm(840 on crop) with acceptable but not brillint results.

A lot slower than that ade ,in fact it's one of the quirks of this lens that it seems to operate far better at extremes than in the middle of the road ,I will try to find some examples later when I get on my main computer ,just on I.pad now

Last edited:
Some images from my recent NE Greenland trip with the lens at 600mm. All hand-held from on board a small expedition ship, cropped and resized to 1024px, with no other processing.

Humpback_whale_1.jpg

5D3, f/7.1, 1/1000, ISO 2000, 600mm

Humpback_whale_2.jpg

5D3, f/7.1, 1/1000, ISO 1250, 600mm

Humpback_whale_3.jpg

5D3, f/7.1, 1/1000, ISO 1000, 600mm

Polar_bear_1.jpg

70D, f/7.1, 1/1250, ISO 400, 600mm Despite Jeff's issues with the 70D, mine seemed to be quite happy.

Polar_bear_2.jpg

5D3, f/6.3, 1/1000, ISO 12800, 600mm
Not particularly good but it was 18:55 and getting quite dark. Not something you see very often!

Hi All,

I am a canon user and have been thinking of upgrading my 100-400 Mk1. Initially I was looking at the Mk2. But after seeing some of the amazing shots on this thread I am seriously considering the 150-600mm

Couple of questions and I know the first may be daft....

1 - What is the general feeling between IQ on the Canon 100-400Mk2 compared to the 150-600mm at farthest reach?

2 - What is the main difference between the C and S model? I shoot mainly birds and aircraft

Thanks

A Red Squirrel shot at 600mm, 1/80s, ISO 6400 hand held with my 7DMK2 & Sigma 150-600 sport

No processing - straight from camera with a resize

Sigma OS is rather good .. :D

squir.jpg

Hi All,

I am a canon user and have been thinking of upgrading my 100-400 Mk1. Initially I was looking at the Mk2. But after seeing some of the amazing shots on this thread I am seriously considering the 150-600mm

Couple of questions and I know the first may be daft....

1 - What is the general feeling between IQ on the Canon 100-400Mk2 compared to the 150-600mm at farthest reach?

2 - What is the main difference between the C and S model? I shoot mainly birds and aircraft

Thanks

Can anyone offer any advice :) I have answered myself on Q2. But still deliberating over the Canon or this? I have a 70D and 7D2 and shoot mainly Birds/Aircraft. I have a 300mm 2.8II and a 2x convertor but obviously it is fixed and want the luxury of range when out. I currently have a 100-400 Mk1 canon. Any advice apprciated

Thanks

Can anyone offer any advice :) I have answered myself on Q2. But still deliberating over the Canon or this? I have a 70D and 7D2 and shoot mainly Birds/Aircraft. I have a 300mm 2.8II and a 2x convertor but obviously it is fixed and want the luxury of range when out. I currently have a 100-400 Mk1 canon. Any advice apprciated

Thanks

I don't know if you'll see any difference in image quality until you go over 400mm ;)

I could have bought the 100-400 Mk2 but going by the reviews there wasn't much difference in IQ so the extra 200mm sold it to me :)

I've used the Sigma 150-600 Sport. Only for one weekend. I shoot motorsport, gallery when I used it here - http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albums/12-07-2015-hscc-brands-hatch-photos/

It performed impressively given the cost (< £1500). I have used primes 300/400/500 and yes the 150-600 is not as critically sharp wide open or as fast but if you have plenty of light it works very well indeed. Like anything takes time to get used to and also with the USB dock you can tweak to hopefully improve consistency. Have to say the performance surprised me, 600mm is always handy to have.

I own a 100-400 Mk2 and think this has edge (marginally) in IQ and perhaps more so in AF consistency (important for me). It's an impressive bit of kit, also almost a macro lens too which is a bonus. Lighter than the 150-600 but obviously "only" 400mm.

A tricky decision. Ultimately I don't think you'd be disappointed with either option :)

Thanks Brian and Az.

I have had a 50-500 in the past then moved to the Canon 100-400. IQ difference was very much better with the canon. I know this was a long time ago and it looks like Sigma have stepped up a bit with the Sport....

Ho Hum.... Decisions decisions

I've used the Sigma 150-600 Sport. Only for one weekend. I shoot motorsport, gallery when I used it here - http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albums/12-07-2015-hscc-brands-hatch-photos/

It performed impressively given the cost (< £1500). I have used primes 300/400/500 and yes the 150-600 is not as critically sharp wide open or as fast but if you have plenty of light it works very well indeed. Like anything takes time to get used to and also with the USB dock you can tweak to hopefully improve consistency. Have to say the performance surprised me, 600mm is always handy to have.

I own a 100-400 Mk2 and think this has edge (marginally) in IQ and perhaps more so in AF consistency (important for me). It's an impressive bit of kit, also almost a macro lens too which is a bonus. Lighter than the 150-600 but obviously "only" 400mm.

A tricky decision. Ultimately I don't think you'd be disappointed with either option :)

Nice pics for your first time out with the 150-600 :)

After a lot of Googling and reading, I finally went out and bought one of these this week... Despite seeing some excellent images taken with this lens, I was hesitant about buying a long lens with such a slow aperture. As it's turned out, I needn't have worried.

Thanks for all of the advice and photos that have been posted in this thread... It's been a big help. :)

After a lot of Googling and reading, I finally went out and bought one of these this week... Despite seeing some excellent images taken with this lens, I was hesitant about buying a long lens with such a slow aperture. As it's turned out, I needn't have worried.

Thanks for all of the advice and photos that have been posted in this thread... It's been a big help. :)

I have too :) Happy days (Soon anyway)

Thanks All

That's it, pretty standard UK price, you could get it from Amazon for that

Hey Black Fox, just in case you haven't had a chance to get a hold of your sons, took the plunge on the 7d mk2, early days yet but combined with the 150-600 it seems pretty sweet & the autofocus has exceeded my expectations, people were commenting on the noise at high isos & while it's not full frame it seems pretty well controlled to me. Works with a 1.4 tc as well with only slight lag on autofocus. Heres a few from playing around on way home. Basic edits on contrast, sharpness, noise etc, cropped to fill frame.
low pass.jpg by ClarkePictures, on Flickr
the descent.jpg by ClarkePictures, on Flickr
airwalk.jpg by ClarkePictures, on Flickr

Yes, the problem is the main length adjuster creeps and the camera ends up against my thigh rather than my hip :(

Ah - not just me that has this issue then. Love my BR Sport, but the creep was really irritating (even without a particularly heavy lens, a 7D + Grip makes it slip quite badly). I've re-jigged the under-arm strap to it its below the slider, so doesn't slip anymore.
I read on another forum someone sent theirs back to be replaced and the slippage disappeared (too late for me as I've had mine for over 2 years), but worth pursuing.

[/off topic]

I managed to get out with the Sigma and the D750 yesterday for a trial run on the Red Kites... I'm officially impressed! :)

Back