Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

Seems like it's me, you and every reviewer of the lens I've read so far!! I don't even have the lens yet, but I'm fully expecting to need to bulk up a bit in order to hold it more than 30 mins at a time haha. My current setup is about 1.6kg and my new one once I get this will be about 3.6 :O
I know there is humor involved here but it depends how you carry it and what you use it for,carried on a BR or similar strap and only brought up for a few shots at a time and then rested it may not be the problem you think.

You're probably right, I'm certainly new to this size of lens and think it's going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Has anyone tried using the 150-600 for Astrophotography? What were the results?

I have been using it on a 5D3 and find it to be not too bad. Hang it on a strap and you don't have to take the weight for too long.

If you do have to hold it for a while then it's useful to get some extra support with your elbow tucked into your side.

No gain without pain!

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a hard case for it?
I thinking if I've spent that much on the lens I may as well spend a little more on a hard case to protect it a little more when it's being moved or stored.

I love looking at the wildlife images you guys post on these long lens forums. So far I've been able to resist purchasing one but I know it's only a matter of time.

Please continue posting. I take my hat off to you, gentlemen.

Before I click on buy it now for the doc on the big river... Is there a good set up and how to guide for using the doc and this lens? I have visions of me messing around and screwing it up!

Before I click on buy it now for the doc on the big river... Is there a good set up and how to guide for using the doc and this lens? I have visions of me messing around and screwing it up!

Check posts by 'the black fox' earlier in this thread.

I used topcashback to direct to WEX where I purchased my lens. Got £47 back which payed for the doc. Always something to bear in mind when making expensive purchased.

using the dock is easy ,just go for the best options to suit your own style ,as has been stated the best way to carry /use this lens is with a black rapid or similar strap .i have actually just ordered a new arca type plate from china that should take the domed b/rapid fasteners so i will be able to place the c/gravity further forward to help with carrying even more .updates when it arrives .
the one thing that really does amaze me about this lens more than any i have used before is its ability when the chips are down ,i.e the other day poor light iso of 3200 ,lens wide open ,shutter speed below 1/200th sec ,just resting on a bean bag support and results like this ,go figure red wings ,yellow berries.jpgthe pounce pose.jpg

Great shots Jeff, more fuel for the sport! Are you still using the 1D3 & 70D?

Great shots Jeff, more fuel for the sport! Are you still using the 1D3 & 70D?
no chris ,just the 1D3 i found the 70d to variable in its results ,so it went.
its one of the reasons i have held back from going down the route of a 7d2 .

a quick pop down the estuary over high tide and the sun came out to for a hour perfect landing .jpgstacking .jpg

the bottom photo was at 600mm ,and wide open at F6.3 and from at least a couple of hundred metres away hand held,all the gulls in the pic are reasonably sharp .this lens never ceases to amaze me

Last edited:
Tax rebate landed this week, lens and dock land tomorrow...:banana:

Tax rebate landed this week, lens and dock land tomorrow...:banana:
your gonna love it .just let it grow on you .it takes time to get used to don't worry about the initial weight you'll get used to it .any questions just ask

little tip ,i leave my lens hood on permanently ,and use a plastic cover from e/bay over it .i also have the knob on the lens hood offset to the left hand side to make it easier to trombone zoom the lens

Just put down the phone having ordered the lens and dock! Ended up with a free filter and cash off from Sigma plus a sd card, filter and cashh off from store. Made sure I had the 3 year warranty as had problems a few years back with Olympus which worked out well due to proper warranty. One happy chap

You have to activate the 3year warranty with sigma using a code on the box ,which you won't know till you receive it

@Jeff, I'm looking to get a replacement second body and wondered if you think a 1d3 would be a good idea to go with my 7dii? I know you use one with the sport and although an oldish body now, do you think it would be my best option?
I sold my 5d3 as I wasn't using it enough to justify it's value but need something to allow 2 lenses use without keep changing them over on one body if that makes any sense!

I certainly do reasonably well with mine ,a 1d4 would be even better ,they just seem to work and the files are a delight to process .if i hid my exif data would you be able to tell what rig was in use just by looking ??

Yes I did wonder about a 1D4 but to be honest I like my 7D2 and don't want to spend the kind of money I would have to for a second body of that calibre so that was why I thought 1D3. I think I'll go that route and will be able to get close to my money back if I change my mind later.
As for your question, when you were using the 70D and 1D3 then yes, it was obvious which were the 1D3 photos as they were streets ahead imo. That's what got me thinking this way, it's all your fault Jeff - haha!
Thanks for getting back to me, I value your opinion as I believe you have mastered the sport pretty well and I've seen some great shots both here and on BF in the past.

I have used a 7D2 a few times Chris ,and while a good camera I'm not entirely convinced ,plus on a pension to buy one would mean selling the 1D3 to fund it ,and I,m still not totally sure on the bad light high ISO performance of the 7D2 .its a catch 22 .
In your case it's a no brainer ,go for it if you need a second body but be aware they are a heavy camera ,and as with any 1D body exterior condition points to general usage ,so caveat emptor

one from back in the spring .when we had a bit of sun .

summertime blues .jpg

Thanks for the advice Jeff, much appreciated. I bought a mint condition 1D3 with less than 6000 actuations from LCE this morning for £599 so I'm happy with that. I used to have a 1D mkii N so the weight will be similar to that I would think. I use the 7D2 with a Canon 400 prime which works really well. Looking forward to giving it a try out when the weather improves...if ever! Watch this space.

nice one chris ,wonder how long it will be before you forsake the 7d2 ,:naughty: once you start to process the files it will hit you .any help needed just shout m8

Thanks Jeff, I must admit my processing skills are'nt my strong point so I may take you up on that. I've got Lightroom and Photoshop on subscription but have messed so many shots up that I despair at times! Trying hard to learn it all but it's a minefield when you resorting to trial and error, the emphasis mainly on error which is a trial!!

just drop me a message with your land line number next time your ready to process some shots and i'll talk you through it ,unless your near chester at any time and i can do a hands on demo ,FFS i'm nearly 70 and i don't find it a problem :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Haha, oh well maybe 57 is the new 80! Ok Jeff will do and thanks again, it will have to be phone though as I live in Norfolk.

Last edited:
The offer was a Black Friday deal. There is an offer on but it is only £50 off from preferred dealers.

to be fair i have never had a filter on mine and for some reason (coating maybe) i find it attracts far less dust than any previous lens i have owned ,in fact i can honestly say i have only ever given it a flick over with a lens cloth twice since purchase .. i leave my lens hood permanently attached and have a elasticated plastic slip on cover over that from e-Bay when its not in use .

Haha, oh well maybe 57 is the new 80! Ok Jeff will do and thanks again, it will have to be phone though as I live in Norfolk.
not a problem i speak cockenese,norfolkese,suffolkese and pure bolackanese fluently :wacky:

one from back when i first got the lens and had it on the dearly departed 70d ,no adjustments made at this time i was to scared to mess with it back then oh deer.jpg

Back