Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

Some good stuff coming out with the beast lately ,might get out later for a play

pull yer neck in .jpglong distance shots of egrets today ,hand held but it was worth it to get the great white egret in my sights

Last edited:
Got the lens today, rushed down to local park, light was pretty bad but here goes. Cormorant at 600mm

cormorant-1-jpg.48299

Attachments

• Cormorant-1.jpg
    Cormorant-1.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
looks pretty good ,there even better after a tune up

Just click on the box that says full size ,go back in via edit ,remove the link to the image ,then add it again using full size and save

another egret shot from yesterday .at least i done well with them on top of the world .jpg

new venue today ,heaving with raptors ,this sparrow hawk topped it off nicely the hunt at lunt .jpg

Depending on the weather I should be at the loop with mine next week :)

super aircraft shots ,another of mine sprawk !!!.jpg

had a day out yesterday and bolted my lads 7Dmkii to the sigma sports ,quite impressed with the combo ,more than i thought i would be .poseur !.jpgcatching oysters .jpg

Some great shots coming out.

I have had mine over a week now and I have the Lens Hood problem where the screw drops out the tightening knob. Has anyone else experienced it?

i heard of that problem with the first batch of lenses supplied to the states ,but not since supposedly it was cured a while back ,but there is a 3 year warranty on these lenses and as long as yours is not second hand ,or a dark grey import a quick phone call to sigma imaging u.k should get you a replacement hood .
in all honesty my lens hood never comes off i leave it attached 100% of the time and simply use a slip over soft lens hood cover which i got from e/bay . the only time i take the hood off is if theres dust on the front element (twice since i have had it ) that needs cleaning

my lens hood never comes off i leave it attached 100% of the time and simply use a slip over soft lens hood cover which i got from e/bay

My lens came with a soft cover which slips over the hood and is held in place with velcro.

got it at the start of the year i'll try and get the link ,the black soft lens hood cover comes with all the lenses .mine is just a waterproof slip on that folds away to nothing in the pocket and is easy to put on in case of rain or sand

here ya go a easy one to find
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproo...hash=item1c4f29bbdb:m:mI6RtKF-uQlQE0t9Sjsx6lQ

highly recommended fits a treat and usually next day delivery

Last edited:
new venue today ,heaving with raptors ,this sparrow hawk topped it off nicely View attachment 48441

Great shot Jeff. I am off for a few days so may be able to get some shots. Loving it so far but within one week I did have the problem with the hood tighten knob fall off :-(
got it at the start of the year i'll try and get the link ,the black soft lens hood cover comes with all the lenses .mine is just a waterproof slip on that folds away to nothing in the pocket and is easy to put on in case of rain or sand

here ya go a easy one to find
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproo...hash=item1c4f29bbdb:m:mI6RtKF-uQlQE0t9Sjsx6lQ

highly recommended fits a treat and usually next day delivery

Thanks Jeff

some better weather at last today nothing special but egrets and fast moving herring gulls make good targets white flight .jpg

herring gull total concentration .jpg

and again ducking and diving .jpg

Hi
Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can down load a couple of raw images for this lens
It's getting harder when I travel to take the 600mm f4 I.s with me. I know the quality won't be as good but some places I go I am limited to 5 kg so a smaller lighter lens covering this range interests me. Bird images would be preferred.
Regards
Richard

It's ok I found some looks good.

Last edited:
Teams are currently preparing their cars in the run up to the Wales GB Rally next weekend so I took the Sigma up into the forest to try it out in more 'challenging' conditions... The light was awful, it was hammering down with rain first thing and at first, the D750 rarely dropped below ISO6400. I've got to admit that this lens just keeps throwing surprises at me. I didn't think it'd work too well in that awful light but it didn't miss a beat. The AF tracked perfectly and even wide open, the shots were more than sharp enough. I'll get some shots posted up later but I've got to say that Sigma really do deserve a pat on the back for producing a lens of this quality! :)

What are the widest apertures at each focal length?

150-184mm - f/5
185-320mm - f/5.6
321-600mm - f/6.3

Also what bags do you have this lens in?

I'm using a LowePro Flipside 400 for mine.

And are there any tripod heads you use that work well with it.

I haven't bothered putting it on a tripod yet (it's not that heavy) but my 3LT AirHed is more than capable of holding it steady. :)

I don't use a bag for mine ,at this moment in time ,as I use it solely for wildlife and also a glasses wearer I tend to limit my outings to reasonable weather where possible ,I do use mine with a black rapid strap though and that has completely changed the criteria of using this lens it literally takes all the weight out of it till I'm ready to shoot .

Here's a few shots from the Wales GB Rally practice session in the forest above Artist's Valley in Mid-Wales yesterday... Hyundai/Shell were putting their i20 through its paces. The first shot you see below was taken at ISO10,000 which is testament not only to the AF capabilities of the lens, but also the sensor performance on my D750. :)

Thanks for all the images in this thread! The quality at 600mm on a lens that zooms 4x has blown me away! I was seriously considering a Nikon 300f2.8 + 2xtc iii but this thread and a link somewhere in here to a comparison of this against that combo has conviced me that this is the way to go. It's a lighter combo (not by much) but is a heck of a saving money wise! Now I just have to wait for my Christmas bonus...!

Well my new 70d has finally arrived and has met the sigma 150-600 sport... Holly mother of God. I think I need to get back to the gym for a bit.

Have you got a grip on the 70D Jim? It'll help to stabilise it a bit. :)

Have you got a grip on the 70D Jim? It'll help to stabilise it a bit. :)

No not yet, I've literally only taken the 70d out the box and charged the battery up, then a quick go with the lens last night

Last edited:
Well my new 70d has finally arrived and has met the sigma 150-600 sport... Holly mother of God. I think I need to get back to the gym for a bit.

No joke, I'm actually going to start working out in order to be able to hand hold this lens!

It's not just me then... :D

Seems like it's me, you and every reviewer of the lens I've read so far!! I don't even have the lens yet, but I'm fully expecting to need to bulk up a bit in order to hold it more than 30 mins at a time haha. My current setup is about 1.6kg and my new one once I get this will be about 3.6 :O

Back