Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

Very nice :clap:

I have to say I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the AF/tracking on my 7D ... while I rarely use it (I much prefer my Pentax K-5IIs and 150-450mm) I have never had a lot of luck with the Canon. The 50D I had previously gave much better results with moving subjects.

Last edited:
Very nice :clap:

I have to say I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the AF/tracking on my 7D ... while I rarely use it (I much prefer my Pentax K-5IIs and 150-450mm) I have never had a lot of luck with the Canon. The 50D I had previously gave much better results with moving subjects.
mike i had about a 50% failure rate on these today ,poor light and a wood or the undergrowth affecting the focus didn't help ,when it nailed it it did well but wasn't easy by any stretch ,birds in flight against a clear sky is usually around a 98% success rate so there you see the problem ,canons do not like a messy background ,we can't have it all

Right, little bit of sunshine today so ventured out with camera in tow. D750, Nikon 24-70 and 70-300 plus the Siggy. All this, together with map, drinks and a little food (mars bars) were stuffed into a bog standard 45L rucksack. Clearly, all the components would have been rubing together. This gets me thinking that I need a bag that is more suitable. Trying to keep the price down given how much I have spent on kit recently so what are the recommendations?

a lowepro 400 aw backpack off of e/bay should do there clones but only just over £30 so won't break the bank . personally i rarely put mine in a bag and just carry other stuff as needed in pockets .but its how i work

Clearly my pockets aren't big enough or I carry around too much sh1te or both. Is the 400 really big enough? Looking at the pics it show a 70-200 fitting into the 400. I was looking at the similar 500 series or do you think that is too big?

Thanks for replying

If I remove the hood (I bought a 105mm lens cap) then the tamrac expedition 6x fits my 5d2 with 150-600s attached, there's just about enough room either side for a couple of lenses but I couldn't say if those Nikon ones would fit.

How about a Pro Runner 300AW, holds my gripped 7D MkII, 150-600 sports, 24-70, 70-200, 1.4x & blackrapid strap. Drinks go in the side mesh pockets & front outside pocket holds sandwiches, snack bars etc :)

aw300.jpg

LowePro Flipside 400 AW for me... Holds a D750 and the Sigma with the hood reversed (like Brian's). It'll also hold another couple of smaller lenses, filters etc. :)

It was dry today, not that bright but enough for me to get out to Lanark Loch and use the lens. Couple of photo's below, hopefully it'll be dry and bright tomorrow and I'll be able to get back out again.

1/40th sec, handheld at 600mm.
IMG_9361 resized by Stuart Delaney, on Flickr

Faster shutter speed this time, managed 1/50th!
IMG_4383 resized by Stuart Delaney, on Flickr

Works well at low shutter doesn't it ,quiet unreal but it seems a lot of us are finding the same

Works well at low shutter doesn't it ,quiet unreal but it seems a lot of us are finding the same

I'm looking forward to getting mine and giving it a go...trouble is those birdies won't slow down for you just because you have a slower shutter speed! :D

Haven't been on for a while, glad to see Jeff is still banging out those excellent images... So, I bought the 150-600 to take with me to Canada in the summer. It's mated to my 7D most of the time, but works well on the 6D too. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 7D2 and keep the Mk1 as back up.

Here's a young Bald Eagle, taken handheld @ 600mm, f8, handheld.

Eagle02 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

And this is a 100% crop of a rather large bear walking down the hillside. Just over 300mm @ f5.6, 1/500 handheld.

Test by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

We're planning a trip to Mull & Avimore in the summer, I want some White Tails & Golden Eagles now, the Bald Eagle has got me wanting more :)

I can't help but think that better processing would make these even better. The noise on the 7D shows in the first shot.

I carry mine with an R strap, but when bagged, I use a Flipside 200 AW, which has a bit of room for a spare body or my 300f4 & 1,4TC, or my 70-210 f2.8

Last edited:
one from a few days ago ,camera canon 1Dmkiii ,lens sigma 150-600sport ,kenko 1.4HD.tc = 840mm HAND HELD with the new kenko HD tc ALL FOCUS POINTS are enabled ,this was shot using the ring of fire A/F on the 1d3 ,can't wait till i have saved enough to buy one of these teleconverters myself ..
ring of fire tester.jpg

Ordered mine today, based partly on 'the black Fox's' photos plus other reviews. Guess that was the easy bit, hard bit will be developing the skills to use it. Will be interesting comparing it with my Nikon 200-400. One of them will have to go, but as I usually end up using the nikon with a tc I suspect it will be that.

another shortie fields of gold .jpgwrong way round .jpg

some really good shots here. I received my Sigma last night and had a play today. I have to say I did not get anything as good IQ wise as the shots above from Jeff and Steve or anywhere near what I get with the Nikon. I'm quite aware this is likely to be related to technique (or lack of). Tomorrow (weather and time permitting) I'm going to do some side by side tests with the signa 150 - 600 and the nikon 200-400 using a target and tripod. Hopefully I can prove my copy of the sigma is capable of good IQ and its me that's needs to improve!

You really do need to tune it up with the USB hub Brian ,it changes it completely,also you can't really expect it to beat a lens costing 2k more ?

Last edited:
Hope you're strong lol.

Enjoy it, I'm sure you will and look forward to seeing some images soon

Hi all,
Well have been dipping into this thread for a while and have gone and bought the lens!! I have tweaked with the dock in line with Jeff's recommendations. Today i gave it a run out - different beast to the 400 f5.6 - and more practice required - although initial results were promising. here are a few todays efforts:

IMG_2714 by Guy Anderson, on Flickr

IMG_2730 by Guy Anderson, on Flickr

IMG_2750 by Guy Anderson, on Flickr

IMG_2646 by Guy Anderson, on Flickr

Thanks

Gy

Looks good Guy. I made some adjustments on mine with the dock and it has improved greatly. Looking at your shots above I would say the IQ is really good, hopefully I can get/use mine up to the same standard.

I must have missed the recommended settings, where are they?

I must have missed the recommended settings, where are they?
The two critical ones are ,for medium to long range shots set the focus to focus accuracy ,and set the stabiliser to dynamic .everything else is down to the users needs

A question for those that have done the focus micro adjustment using the dock...

I've got a calibration chart to set out at the different distances, what distance do I place it at for infinity?

A question for those that have done the focus micro adjustment using the dock...

I've got a calibration chart to set out at the different distances, what distance do I place it at for infinity?
having had a sport for longer than most in the u.k i have had ample opportunity to test my lens out on a lot of assorted canon bodies ,i have yet to find one that isn't spot on every time ,barring a 70d that i owned which turned out to be a camera fault .you would be better off doing any M/A IN CAMERA if there is consistent back or front focus problems .but first be totally 100% certain its not down to user error ,as a 600mm lens on a 1.6 crop body is actually at 930mm and it doesnt take much to throw it out of focus .

couple of recent close ups with the siggy NUTZ !!.jpgpurple reign .jpgTesting the waters .jpgTesting the waters .jpg

The two critical ones are ,for medium to long range shots set the focus to focus accuracy ,and set the stabiliser to dynamic .everything else is down to the users needs
OK at home in the application with lens docked I see no options for focus accuracy or stabilisation?

Attachments

• Focus.JPG
    Focus.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 34
I'm not at a PC at the mo, but if I remember correctly you apply these to one of the custom settings.

having had a sport for longer than most in the u.k i have had ample opportunity to test my lens out on a lot of assorted canon bodies ,i have yet to find one that isn't spot on every time ,barring a 70d that i owned which turned out to be a camera fault .you would be better off doing any M/A IN CAMERA if there is consistent back or front focus problems .but first be totally 100% certain its not down to user error ,as a 600mm lens on a 1.6 crop body is actually at 930mm and it doesnt take much to throw it out of focus .

Thanks, @the black fox, it's mounted to a 5D3 and I had it mounted on a tripod. Good point though, I may just use in camera adjustment that way I can change it 'on the fly' without the need for a PC.

Actually yesterday was my 1st time using the lens and my 1st time shooting wildlife, I've so much to learn as it was like starting all over again. That aside I absolutely loved it.

The quality isn't great as the light was blooming dreadful...

3Q5A2735 by Matt Smith, on Flickr

3Q5A2413 by Matt Smith, on Flickr

nothing wrong with either of them matt

OK at home in the application with lens docked I see no options for focus accuracy or stabilisation?
you have to go into custom modes C1 and C2 and set them as wanted ,its a ten minute maximum job ,just remember to save each setting to the lens as you go along .
P.S you can download the usb dock manual from sigma .

Thanks, @the black fox, it's mounted to a 5D3 and I had it mounted on a tripod. Good point though, I may just use in camera adjustment that way I can change it 'on the fly' without the need for a PC.

Actually yesterday was my 1st time using the lens and my 1st time shooting wildlife, I've so much to learn as it was like starting all over again. That aside I absolutely loved it.

Really nice sharp shots, another great advert for the Siggy. Well done!

Well they look super damn sharp to me! Every time I see shots like these I am more and more tempted to get this lens! You have the same camera as me too so its good to see how the lens performs!

The main and only problem with these super lenses is reach ,when I had a 400 I wanted 500 and now I have 600 I want a 1000 ,the trouble is that extending that reach to much does degrade the image ,and simply wastes shutter count .i suppose it's human nature but if you can frame fill by at least 70% then it's a super image .

Back