Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

Heading for Minsmere this weekend with the Sport strapped to my 7d2, hopefully not everything will have blown away :)

Just took my for a first go with it.... Wow I'm impressed with it. Takes a little getting used to, but I love it already.
The weight ain't too bad with a strap taking the load off. Tho I will notice the lifting tomorrow :)

Well worth the money for it.

Attachments

• 1449240849865.jpg
    1449240849865.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 1449240882286.jpg
    1449240882286.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1449240985004.jpg
    1449240985004.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 1449241013663.jpg
    1449241013663.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 60
Just trying to justify to my self if I can have the sports over the contemporary. Looking like it's going to be a tough argument

one from a couple of weeks ago or more ,the last time i saw a blue sky up here the heralds of winter.jpg

a couple from today ,hand held @ 600mm ,and both at f6.3 wide open sandy shores.jpgsandy jaws.jpg

Jeff they are looking very slightly soft to me compared to your previous shots! I'm planning to get this lens but shots like this make me wonder if I'm making the correct decision as I'm always unhappy with the sharpness I get! Admittedly this is 600mm wide open, I just wondered if you had any idea why it was less sharp than previous shots I've seen from you with this lens?

chris i think its pretty obvious ,both shots are wide open at f6.3 ,i don't think theres a lens made that performs at optimum sharpness without being stopped down ,and also the fact that i shot wide open should tell you about the light on that particular day .there also shot hand held at close range so any problems will show up more .and also cropped in from the full image .
if i had used a tripod i would more than likely got the focus point dead on the birds eye ,but looking at the raw files shows it to be middle of the breast in both shots

chris i think its pretty obvious ,both shots are wide open at f6.3 ,i don't think theres a lens made that performs at optimum sharpness without being stopped down ,and also the fact that i shot wide open should tell you about the light on that particular day .there also shot hand held at close range so any problems will show up more .and also cropped in from the full image .
if i had used a tripod i would more than likely got the focus point dead on the birds eye ,but looking at the raw files shows it to be middle of the breast in both shots

Do you know if this was taken wide open then, because this seems a lot sharper (albeit downsized more?) so that's why I wondered: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...orts-owners-thread.577088/page-4#post-6778023

I can't seem to find online where the lens changes f stop. Can anybody tell me at what focal length it changes from f5 please?

Do you know if this was taken wide open then, because this seems a lot sharper (albeit downsized more?) so that's why I wondered: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...orts-owners-thread.577088/page-4#post-6778023
I can't really see what your trying to say ,yes the linked one was taken at f8. but also at different times of the year and different light ,the shots from the other day where taken in dull sunlight and I played with the settings to see if it was sharp wide open if needed ,it worked for me .
I personally love my lens it does a job that equals imho lenses that cost many thousands of pounds more .not much else to say but that it works for me

I can't really see what your trying to say ,yes the linked one was taken at f8. but also at different times of the year and different light ,the shots from the other day where taken in dull sunlight and I played with the settings to see if it was sharp wide open if needed ,it worked for me .
I personally love my lens it does a job that equals imho lenses that cost many thousands of pounds more .not much else to say but that it works for me

That's fine :) I just need to convince myself that I'll be happy with this lens and I'm basically using the images in this thread as my basis. Your previous shot was pin sharp and I was 100% convinced that I was going to get the lens. But then you posted the starling and I started to doubt my decision. I was just trying to acertain if for example the starlings were shot on a lower quality body and the previous shot was on a really high end body with many more MP. I wasn't critising your shot/technique so I apologise if it sounded like that.

Interestingly, when I posted about the starlings being slightly soft, I was viewing on my decent calibrated screen. I'm now viewing at home and it looks sharp and I can't see the softness I was seeing at work!. The strange thing is that it's the exact same screen! So basically ignore everything I said - I'm now 100% sure about this lens again! :)

That's fine :) I just need to convince myself that I'll be happy with this lens and I'm basically using the images in this thread as my basis. Your previous shot was pin sharp and I was 100% convinced that I was going to get the lens. But then you posted the starling and I started to doubt my decision. I was just trying to acertain if for example the starlings were shot on a lower quality body and the previous shot was on a really high end body with many more MP. I wasn't critising your shot/technique so I apologise if it sounded like that.

Interestingly, when I posted about the starlings being slightly soft, I was viewing on my decent calibrated screen. I'm now viewing at home and it looks sharp and I can't see the softness I was seeing at work!. The strange thing is that it's the exact same screen! So basically ignore everything I said - I'm now 100% sure about this lens again! :)
no problem ,as i said you have to take everything into account ,even my own stress levels and interest levels at the time of processing ,if my memory serves me rightly the linnet was shot using a bean bag support and the starling was hand held ,but saying that one was f8 and the other f6.3 .heres one from yesterday taken in gale force winds at a marine lake open to the full force of wind blowing in off the irish sea ,large whitecaps on the sea etc hand held shot once again .rythm of the dancer .jpg

Reactions: ST4
Wow that's handheld at 6.3? Very impressive! You must have pretty strong arms or the IS in the lens is brilliant haha.

Hi Chris and Jeff - i can fully understand the question of f5 vf6.3 and the isdue of sharpness. The higher the f stop does not mean the sharper the pucture unless the shutter speed is sufficiently high to reduce the effects of shake.

I have read through this, and the contemporary, thread over a number of weeks and bought a lens which I am now desperate to use. If it helps, Chris, I went for the contemporary lens as It was less weight so better to handle. I know others will argue against this but I wanted it for wildlife and some sport which does not involve lougging around tripods to bean bags, etc. As Jeff has already said the performance of the lens is equal to some mant thousands of pounds more so, in my opinion, represents excellent value for money.

Interestingly enough I have just bought a polarising filter for holiday use as the range makes it ideal for taking shots off cruise ships when comming into port or catching passing vessels.

I must say thanks to Jeff for his help in sorting out the custom settings on the lens which will make life easier.

Fred, of course higher shutter speed is necessary to capture fast movement, but Jeff's point was that a lens is slightly sharper (generally) stopped down a bit from wide open.

I too have been reading the C and S threads and reading lots of comparisons between the two lenses. Overall the S looks slightly sharper to me. Yes it's heavier but is also weather sealed which I think is useful as I plan on taking this on safaris and the better sealed, the less likely sand is getting in there! :) Still, if you'rehappy with the C, you've saved yourself some money!

Chris as I have stated before I rarely use a tripod or monopod ,preferring to grab shots as they appear ,I do use a Beanbag when shooting from the car ,mainly to rest the lens on between shots . And yes I,m a big bloke but saying that I,m just a few weeks shy of 70 ,back to the camera lens combo I love my 1D3 it's still capable of turning out good shots and it works well with the lens ,the main fault in all of this is the same for all of us I think with wildlife ,you set your camera for the average shot and when something presents itself you haven't got time to faff about changing things so it's usually a case of spray and pray .
The thing that has proved to be a pleasant surprise though is the fact that the lens seems to still pull a good shot out even when I have messed up /forgotten to change settings etc .so yes I do think the image stabiliser is right up there with the best of them .
The weight I'd not a issue either ,it was initially and for the first few weeks I walked around cradling the lens like a baby ,but that left my arms tired and since adopting a black rapid sport harness it just hangs at my side till ready .

I'm only 31 but certainly not the biggest built person around! I think a black rapid will be a wise investment for me (along with starting to lift some weights!). My biggest worry is that I get migraines which i think is down to my neck muscles being tight and carrying round my current setup sometimes causes one. This lens will take me from 1.9kg to 2.9kg so I hope I'm not forever getting migraines and that the black rapid helps with that. Does it put any pressure on your neck?

none whatsoever chris it sits across the outer bit of your shoulder and mine the B.R. sport is moulded for a proper fit and also has a retaining strap which fits under your arm to stop it moving to close to your neck .dont forget if buying either lens the USB dock is needed !!!!! as well

Yes I know. I'm really hoping for a decent Christmas bonus because as it stands, my current shopping list is:
  • This lens
  • D810 for the ability to get higher ISO when the d7200 isn't up to it
  • USB dock
  • Black rapid strap
  • Wimberly or similar head
Fingers crossed I can afford it all and still have some cash to put towards a house deposit!

Guys, the reason I ended up going for the C was due to having had 3 operations on one arm and one on the other not to mention permanent op scarring from a shoulder op as well as compression in my neck! I am geting a neoprene cover for the lens as I found this great for my spitting scope which solves the weather proofing. I wil look at the the strap though.

another couple from frjust popped up to say hello .jpg iday hand held again in gale force winds watching you'watching me .jpg

Last edited:
Hi jeff are you still happy with the sigma and are glad you passed on your canon 400mm 5.6 Prime
oh yes most definitely ,although you do have to be a bit more careful with available light ,raising the iso levels is not a real issue ,its more flexible than the 400 prime ,focuses a lot closer ,is hand holdable on walkabout as long as you use a black rapid or similar shoulder strap ,the image stabiliser is to die for (check out shutter speeds on some of my pics )i very rarely use a tripod and its a hefty weight with a 1d3 so work it out for yourself .
the main advantage of this lens is the USB hub as you can alter the parameters to suit how you shoot ,and as i have recently found out its still sharp even wide open

oh yes most definitely ,although you do have to be a bit more careful with available light ,raising the iso levels is not a real issue ,its more flexible than the 400 prime ,focuses a lot closer ,is hand holdable on walkabout as long as you use a black rapid or similar shoulder strap ,the image stabiliser is to die for (check out shutter speeds on some of my pics )i very rarely use a tripod and its a hefty weight with a 1d3 so work it out for yourself .
the main advantage of this lens is the USB hub as you can alter the parameters to suit how you shoot ,and as i have recently found out its still sharp even wide open

Thanks for the quick response! Gorgeous images by the way

from time to time i have been asked how i manage a heavy lens like this and still hand hold ,i have told you all before i use a black rapid sport strap to support the camera on walk about ,utilising a long arca type plate ,and while this has been satisfactory the downside has been the lens hangs at a downward angle while walking like this / ,so basically its been a matter of gravity .
a few weeks ago i spotted a arca type plate on e/bay with larger than normal base slots these would accommodate either the large D type rings or the folding type in case i wanted to use the tripod/monopod ,it arrived this morning after 3 weeks and i,m suitably impressed for £4-27 delivered .
heres a few pictures to show it works the wife is holding the camera and lens which now suspends from its C of G and close ups of the plate and folding D ring i have also now fitted a OPTECH leash in case of accidents hope this helps with ideas ,i can supply the item number if anyones interested IMG_3436.jpgIMG_3437.jpgIMG_3438.jpgIMG_3440.jpg

I don't think anybody gave an answer to my previous question: at what focal length does the lens change from f5? Does it go directly from f5 to 6.3 or are there steps inbetween and if so, at what focal length does it change? Thanks :)

I don't think anybody gave an answer to my previous question: at what focal length does the lens change from f5? Does it go directly from f5 to 6.3 or are there steps inbetween and if so, at what focal length does it change? Thanks :)
just tried it for you ,at just over 300mm ,there is short phase from f5 to f5.6 then f6.3

Any suggestions for a camera bag to hold this lens, mounted on a 5d2/7d and with the hood fitted ?
My tamrac 6x and kata 3n1 33pl are too short.

Any suggestions for a camera bag to hold this lens, mounted on a 5d2/7d and with the hood fitted ?
My tamrac 6x and kata 3n1 33pl are too short.
not yet managed to find one though I believe the think tank glass limousine will do the job

Thanks. Looks like it would be s good fit from the specs. I found a lowepro lens trekker 600 that looks plenty big enough too. Think I'll make do with reversing the hood or just getting a clip on 105mm cap for a bit though as I don't want to push my wifes Christmas spirit too much.....

I hav been looking for a bag, as well. With the lens hoid reversed I think I am down to the Tamrac Avil 15 slim or the Manfrotto pl bug 203. I cannot find any proper reviews to compare the 2 or help me de ude which one to go for.

I use a Lowepro Pro runner aw 300 when I'm out and about . Gripped 7D Mk2 + 150-600 sport down the center & other stuff along the side :)

There's two things I want from a bag ,one is the ability to put the camera in with the hood attached and the ability to take a 1d size body ,the next thing is it's got to be lightweight ,.

on full alert.jpg

I can just fit the Sports lens attached to a gripped 5D2 in my Lowepro Flipside 400, but only if the lens hood is reversed first. There is room to re-atach the Sigma lens cover. I can also fit the 24-105 and a few accessories in the bag, but wouldn't want to squeeze in another lens.

I eventually went for the Tamrac bag as, I think, I will get my kit in it. Ended up with a good price in the sales. It arrives either tomorrow or Thursday so not long to wait.

I found the lowepro lens trekker 600 aw iii (sheesh, who names these things) for under £130 which is great vs the rrp but it just seems too big overall. The Thinktank Glass limo does look like an almost ideal match.

Back