Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

Speaking of the moon mine fails to work with a Canon 1.4 TC II, camera reports "communication error, both camera and lens have current firmware. TC works fine with my 70-200. Any ideas?

one from last week lookout bird.jpg

Just ordered one of these after coming into some money for my birthday :) Should get it on Monday, can't wait!!

Just ordered one of these after coming into some money for my birthday :) Should get it on Monday, can't wait!!

Even if you are unsure about it's abilities when you first get it stick with the lens for a few weeks. I find the pictures taken with the Sigma need quite a bit more sharpening and contrast than I'm used to normally applying but they seem to take it pretty well and it makes a big difference.

Quick question. When fine tuning the focus on camera, do you tend to do this at 600mm, or somewhere like 400mm. I do tend to use mine at the full 600mm most of the time, so I guess it's best to do it at this point ?

I always do mine at the length I most use the lens (in this case 600mm)

You can do multiple corrections with the dock ... personally I don't have the patience for that and lose the will to live after about 5 minutes messing around trying to work out the settings.

Quick question. When fine tuning the focus on camera, do you tend to do this at 600mm, or somewhere like 400mm. I do tend to use mine at the full 600mm most of the time, so I guess it's best to do it at this point ?
I have had my lens for a year now ,and during that time used it on a variety of bodies ,so far I have not found one where ANY micro adjustment was needed,play around with m.a at your own peril.
However you will need the USB hub to do firmware and fine tuning adjustments to the general way you want the lens to perform .the next round of updates in a couple of weeks should be interesting if they do what's claimed

and mebert on full alert .jpg

I recently purchased the Contemporary version of this lens and am really pleased with it; fast auto-focus, hand-holding is possible with stabilisation enabled. Didn't buy the USB dock but from this thread sounds like I might need to to get the best out of it. It is a heavy lens and the zoom ring needs a hefty turn to go from min to max length, but I wanted the range so .....

Guys, can we please concentrate on Sigma 150-600mm S version in this thread. If you want to discuss Contemporary version please make another thread. Thanks :)
Is there a separate thread for the C version? I was going to post some shots from my newly acquired C version here but wont if they're not welcome :sorry: (and what a great lens it is too!)

Edit - just found the C thread, I'm off!

Last edited:
New firmware for the lens is available today, just flashed it but we've got thick fog here so can't really give it a test :(

Is that for both lenses? Hope so, my USB dock arrived yesterday :)

just done mine and its definitely faster ,near instant a/f at 600mm ,will give it a thorough testing later .quiet a lengthy update to

Do you need to re do your custom settings after the update?

Ok, my firmware update seems to have frozen halfway through, the LED on the dock has gone out and the updated is "not responding" (all connections are fine). It's been like that for 10 minutes. I'm a bit worried I might be left with a paperweight..... (C variant).

Last edited:
Well, that was scary! The software was completely unresponsive halfway through and wouldn't come back, I had no choice to end the programme. I took the lens off the dock and mounted it on the camera and it was dead. Nothing. No AF, OS and when attempting to shoot, error messages on my camera screen. It was indeed a paperweight, and brand new expensive paperweight.

Luckily re connecting it. it seemed to recognise a partial update and it reapplied it and now works fine!

Very relieved.......

Last edited:
Now if you'd wanted a paperweight you should have bought the Sports....Much heavier :)

Just spent 3 hours trying to get Focal Pro installed on the PC to calibrate the lens, what a waste of ******* time !!!!!!!

Just spent 3 hours trying to get Focal Pro installed on the PC to calibrate the lens, what a waste of ******* time !!!!!!!

What's focal pro?

...not that I'm looking to get it, mine is fine straight out the box :)

Focal pro is automatic software that controls the camera and sets the MFA for us lazy people :)

to update ,been down the local estuary over high tide to test it ,and i,m more than happy ,its not only a lot faster to lock on it also seems more accurate ,any discards have been down to user error on my part .canon 1d3 and sigma sport hand held shots .lens update 1.jpglens update 2.jpglens update 3.jpg

Still getting "Err 01, Communication between lens and camer is faulty" when attaching a Canon TC 1.4 III post Sigma firmware update. Anyone else having any sucess using with a TC?

Still getting "Err 01, Communication between lens and camer is faulty" when attaching a Canon TC 1.4 III post Sigma firmware update. Anyone else having any sucess using with a TC?
It works with my Sigma TC , does the TC work OK with other lenses ?

Weird, I had the same error when I tried my mates last weekend.

I use a Canon 5D3

Back