Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

All normal 1.4 tc' are designed to be centre point only a/f with canon cameras,HOWEVER there is a way round it ,the latest tc from kenko the 1.4 dgx.HD will give you all focus points active and and all a.f functions ,the I.q is very good to ,I have one I use with my lens and 1D3 so I know it works
What is it called might have a look if I get some spare time

first opportunity to have a play with mine since updating the firmware earlier in the week. Lightning fast AF now ( and it was quick before) Well impressed with the update.

Not a stunning image by any means, but shot using my 7D2 & 1.4EX Mk2.

Focused pretty quickly and I'm impressed with the detail.

516A0452 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

• ƒ/9.0
  • 840.0 mm
  • 1/4000
  • 1600 ISO

And the focussing is even better since the software upgrade. This lens and the 7D2 work very well together...

Last edited:
For those that are interested in a tc here is a sample shot from the Sigma 150-600 'C' plus 1.4x tc at the full 840mm (Sport should be fairly similar). Obviously not up to a big white prime but not too bad for a relatively cheap and lightweight lens IMHO. This is a big crop (less that 20% of the original image). I use a Canon 1.4x tc MkII which works very well with the 'C'. The fact that I only get centre point and 4 point expansion is completely irrelevant to me for birds as I use a single point 99% of the time anyway.

greenfinch at 840mm by Roy Churchill, on Flickr

heres one taken with the sports lens on my 1D3 body and using the kenko 1.4dgx-HD tele-convertor this one allows all focus points to be active on with 1D series bodies .the main drawback of the canon tc is its a fixed centre point which for close ups can be limiting .this comes out at 840mm focal length step back three paces.jpg

Mmmm. Just bought a kenko 1.4dgx-HD convertor (having read about the all focal points ability) but when put between my Siggy and a 7D II it locks the camera up - message comes up about firmware update failed :-(
Tried with a 1DX and doesn't work with that either ... or a Canon 600mm :-( Back to the shop then ...

I have said many times over it doesn't work with a 7d2 for some reason ,no problems on 1D series cameras

If I'm using a Gimbal for BIF. Am I meant to turn off the OS? Sorry if it's a stupid question that's been asked before..

I'm really struggling with BIF, I don't know if it's me, the camera, the lens, the undercrackers that I'm wearing or just poor technique.

in a year of use i have found that using it on a tripod and gimbal leaving the OS turned on makes no visible difference to the pictures ,depends what camera your using and what your camera settings are and also whether the cameras actual a/f can keep up with the birds . personally to stop myself getting rusty with b.i.f i lure seagulls in with food every few weeks and practise on them .in fact in passing the only time i use a tripod/gimbal is if i,m waiting around for specific targets i.e owls

hey guys long time no post, kinda fell out with photography but not intentionally!! time based basically.

Been looking around for a new telephoto lens and this thread grabbed my attention,

has anybody used this lens on a Nikon d7100? if so any pics from it..iv had a search but nothing came up

cheers

After reading through this thread I've pulled the trigger and ordered a 150-600 sport with the dedicated sigma 1.4 tc to replace my trusty sigma 150-500. Since switching to a d750 from my old d7000 I've being struggling for that extra reach. Hopefully it should land tomorrow so I can try it out over the weekend. Cheers all for your sample pictures they've helped me make my choice [emoji106]

Don't forget to get a USB hub as well ,without it it's just a long reach lens ,with it it becomes extra ordinary and can be tuned to your own needs

I did toy with the idea of getting a usb dock but was frightened it would just be another thing to worry about messing with, I struggle enough with micro adjustments of autofocus. May still be worth me getting one for firmware updates I suppose.

The one thing I haven't touched is the micro adjust ,not ever found the need ,but for firmware updates ,focus speed or accuracy adjustments and also type of I.s used it's a must have ,if you don't own and use one then why buy this lens .as its what makes it special

having just been away for a week in scotland and trying to catch the elusive red squirrels in the garden i can say the firmware update has made the world of difference and now its such a better lens

Oaky, I've just read through the whole of this thread and I'm now thinking I need to buy the usb dock. My lens was delivered on Friday is there anyway of checking the firmware without the dock ? Jeff by the way the time you have put in to setting yours up is obvious as the shots have improved throughout the thread [emoji106]. As I purchased this for mainly wildlife shots I will start my adjustments as you suggest.

Thanks for the comment ,yep hopefully the I.q has improved ,there is a learning curve associated with use ,the adjustments help but nothing is written I have in fact just changed mine again to take into account the firmware update ,but not yet tested out .
As for checking firmware version unless you have the USB hub no it can't be done .dont look on it as a £40 purchase to use once and forget ,I probably change my settings once a month or so depending on what I,m shooting and the light/weather conditions ,we are now coming into summer again and speed is the priority .

Jeff, quick question. Once I've set the os to dynamic does the os switch make any difference when in custom settings ?

you can set the o.s switch to mode 1 or 2 mine is set to 2 by default ,but settings just affect how it appears through the viewfinder ,what i have recommended has been worked out to be the best over a year + of trial and error .the recent updates have thrown that a bit awry ,and i,m trying out my distance c2 set to quick a/f as sigma have seemed to improve it with the update .

another from yesterday to whet your whistle
hunkered down by jeff cohen, on Flickr

3 from today ... all pretty heavy crops.

26135034490_6036897b27_c.jpg

26407887335_119439215d_c.jpg

26315542472_e112eb065d_c.jpg

freshly processed ,one thing i have noticed is i have now changed since firmware update to speed priority rather than focus priority in the lens without any loss of i.q this obviously helps with target acquisition to .

in full bloom by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Back