Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

the first thing i have to ask in both cases is were the lenses tuned up with the usb hub/dock and if so to what ,and were the firmware upgrades done ,as i really can't fault mine in over a year of use on targets near and far and stationary and in motion ,the only variable i could possibly think of is atmospherics on a sunny day would affect i.q but thats usually on ground level targets .and as stated my only real problem was with a faulty 70d that was proved to be the problem by trial and error ,no such problems with the 80d

Hi Jeff, I purchased a dock with the lens and followed the go to settings that pretty much everyone in this thread uses.

The latest firmware was installed and still made no difference.

Mine is found was a little soft I was using with the teleconverter and maybe my focusing was a little out but when used without the teleconverter it seemed better I have used the lens once since update once and is much better especially in focusing

Hi Jeff, I purchased a dock with the lens and followed the go to settings that pretty much everyone in this thread uses.

The latest firmware was installed and still made no difference.
that does sound dodgy matt ,i use mine hand held 98%of the time and you have seen the results ,and getting even better from the 80d ,ship back to sigma is the best bet or contact your retailer i assume its still under warranty .mine came with the 3 year warranty deal so i have just under 2 years left

Quick question. Shooting hand held at a small bird on a branch what:-
a) shutter speed
b) distance from subject
generally would you use? Trying to work out whether my softness is actually movement

Still not perfect but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of the lens (good weather helps as well ;)

wren.jpg

warble.jpg

heron.jpg

Last edited:
i have a few bags including the mini trekker and my gripped 7D with 150-600mm sport just fits with the hood reversed.
I can fit the camera/lens, 100mm macro, 24-105mm and a flash in there.
Well I tried the lens in the mini trekker on the D810 today and it was a very tight squeeze. Time to go shopping for a new bag methinks [emoji2]

Well I tried the lens in the mini trekker on the D810 today and it was a very tight squeeze. Time to go shopping for a new bag methinks [emoji2]
just treated myself to a new bag as it happens .got the think tank glass limo ,it holds the sigma 150-600 sport with camera and lens hood extended perfect fit ,i can also get in the other sleaves a wide angle and a 70-200mm L ,the beauty of this bag is empty it only weighs 1.5kilo .the only others that come near are the big tamrac bags but there heavier and more expensive .

Quick question. Shooting hand held at a small bird on a branch what:-
a) shutter speed
b) distance from subject
generally would you use? Trying to work out whether my softness is actually movement
a) as a general rule over 1/1000th sec but theres something weird with this lens as if it drops below 1/500th sec down as low as 1/160th something seems to kick in on the o.s and make it work better ,other users have reported the same .
b) as close as possible is the general rule if you can fill the frame its great but not always possible ,as you say the further the distance the more any movement on your part will show ,the smaller the sensor the worse it becomes to ,and remember at the focal length of this lens with a 1.6 crop sensor atmospherics comes into play to as i discovered myself today with sea mist playing me up .
c) when i first got this lens carrying it around used to tire my arms i now use a black rapid harness so the camera is by my side ready to shoot at a moments notice and my arms are fresh ,and also please note i'm no spring chicken on my way to 71 now

Last edited:
a) as a general rule over 1/100th sec but theres something weird with this lens as if it drops below 1/500th sec down as low as 1/160th something seems to kick in on the o.s and make it work better ,other users have reported the same .
b) as close as possible is the general rule if you can fill the frame its great but not always possible ,as you say the further the distance the more any movement on your part will show ,the smaller the sensor the worse it becomes to ,and remember at the focal length of this lens with a 1.6 crop sensor atmospherics comes into play to as i discovered myself today with sea mist playing me up .
c) when i first got this lens carrying it around used to tire my arms i now use a black rapid harness so the camera is by my side ready to shoot at a moments notice and my arms are fresh ,and also please note i'm no spring chicken on my way to 71 now
Thanks for providing me with some settings. I've been playing with the shutter speed and trying to get is as high as possible. I've now set the camera for Manual but then let the camera decide on the ISO (so not really manual!). Fill the frame. Yeah, right. If I were to fill the frame I'd be so close with some of these critters that the lens wouldn't focus (I know what you mean though). I'm using FF (D750) so hopefully I'm not plagued by atmospherics. I'm been trying to shoot birds from the back garden (I'm amazed the police haven't been round considering I'm surrounded by houses!) and I've also started to use a tripod (only because my arm is aching).
Back to my perceived problem. I can't work out whether I am expecting too much, whether I have set my camera up incorrrectly or I am still such a beginner and if I am, I think I will sell up!!! What I am thinking is that I am expecting too much from what I am doing or at least how I am going about it - yes, with birds I am still learning. I am getting hacked off with some of the pictures that are being posted here compared with what I am achieving - the detail on the feathers and overall quality etc. (hacked off in a good way). Am I expecting too much because I shooting the subject from too far away - 30-40 metres. Should I be expecting a sharp image when I do a biggesh crop. Or is it my usage of PP that ruining my image?

Better post some examples.

Bird In a Tree by Skiking37, on Flickr

Incoming bee, behind you by Skiking37, on Flickr

Maggie distirbing the flies by Skiking37, on Flickr

Bombs away by Skiking37, on Flickr

Common Buzzard by Skiking37, on Flickr

Singing Robin by Skiking37, on Flickr

What you lookin' at? by Skiking37, on Flickr

I've just created a Flickr account (why do I have to give 'em my mobile number!!) and they look a little better than I first thought. One or two look soft but I suspect I am expecting something that isn't really possible. Looking for your views and guidance, so thanks if you choose to reply

5 and 7 are good and could be cropped further in ,the rest unfortunately are to far away ,and there lies your problem not the camera not the lens it's purely a lack of field craft ,this takes time to aquire and even then is fifty percent luck .you could start by making a spot in the garden that is suitable for the pics ,that you can get close to and has the sun behind you as you take the shot ,then seed it either on a bird table or feeder once the birds know it's there they won't take any notice of you .i always carry a bag of mixed seed with me ,some of my best shots come from a local reserve where I put a stick in the ground for them to perch on ,throw seed on the ground and the sit at a picnic table twelve feet away ,never fails to bring them in close ,just make no sudden movements noises won't bother them even machine gun shutters

Thanks for the advice.

12 foot away!!, most of these were 30-50 meters away. I wouldn't even guess how far the buzzards were. Does explain a few things!

Theres nothing wrong with your camera or lens as Jeff states you are way too far away and even an 800mm lens wouldnt help you,when you look a some of the shots what percentage of the sensor actually has the bird on it my guess is around 5% or there abouts so 95% is being wasted, Jeff is an expereienced bird/wildlife photographer and what he says is absolutely spot on, if you cant get to the birds make them come to you, get a bird feeder put some seed out and watch for them, once they know food is available regularly they will keep coming back and before you start shooting find a few twigs fasten them to the feeder or if long enough stick a few at an angle in the ground this will give you a nice perch as opposed to the feeder in the frame .... then you'll be 12 feet away

If you link to my Flickr stream there's a few thousand images on there to peruse ,most over the last year taken with the sigma .i don't hide the exif data so you can get the distance to target from each shot .
I note you use a D 750 isn't that full frame ,so even more distance lost ,also now summer is coming try using the lens for close ups of butterflies and insects it works well on them .for bird in flight practise a few slices of bread always brings in seagulls and/ or ducks

Thanks for the advice.

12 foot away!!, most of these were 30-50 meters away. I wouldn't even guess how far the buzzards were. Does explain a few things!

To give you an idea of setting up some perches in the garden have a look at some of the pics below. What I have done is got some copper tube and tied perches to them and placed feeders on them. With the copper tube they are easier to move around if needed. I also have some wood perches but need to get some larger moss branches / logs for a more pleasing perch. I also have some squirrel proof feeders hanging form heavy duty string/cord this feeder is to attract the birds to the garden and a further away from the house the birds don't mind me now and come to the closer perch which is about 3.5meteres from the back door. I have my tripod set-up at the back door and take the photos through the glass so there is probably a little loos of IQ.

I have recently changed to the D810 from the D750 and both camera will allow for some excellent cropping and as mentioned you could probably crop a bit tighter on your photos. The Red Kite is a very large crop. The longest lens I have had is the Nikon 300mm f4 prime and paired with a 1.4TC. You will get better results with your 600mm.

I have disabilities and this way of capturing nature in the garden helps keep me sane:eek:, and it's been a great learning curve for me in the last 18months or so, of taking an interest in wildlife photography.

Thought the post may help and give you some ideas on the D750 and set-up and Jeff and the more experience users of the lens will help you with that!

Loads of tits at the feeder! by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Loads of Tits! by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Long Tail Tit in some winter sun by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Coal Tit in winter sun. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Red Kite over House this morning. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

a good way of creating a mobile perch is to carry a pair of secateurs with you for any nice branches you spot on walk about ,and a couple of bank rods from a angling shop will give you something to stick them in

To give you an idea of setting up some perches in the garden have a look at some of the pics below. What I have done is got some copper tube and tied perches to them and placed feeders on them. With the copper tube they are easier to move around if needed. I also have some wood perches but need to get some larger moss branches / logs for a more pleasing perch. I also have some squirrel proof feeders hanging form heavy duty string/cord this feeder is to attract the birds to the garden and a further away from the house the birds don't mind me now and come to the closer perch which is about 3.5meteres from the back door. I have my tripod set-up at the back door and take the photos through the glass so there is probably a little loos of IQ.

I have recently changed to the D810 from the D750 and both camera will allow for some excellent cropping and as mentioned you could probably crop a bit tighter on your photos. The Red Kite is a very large crop. The longest lens I have had is the Nikon 300mm f4 prime and paired with a 1.4TC. You will get better results with your 600mm.

I have disabilities and this way of capturing nature in the garden helps keep me sane:eek:, and it's been a great learning curve for me in the last 18months or so, of taking an interest in wildlife photography.

Thought the post may help and give you some ideas on the D750 and set-up and Jeff and the more experience users of the lens will help you with that!

Loads of tits at the feeder! by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Loads of Tits! by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Long Tail Tit in some winter sun by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Coal Tit in winter sun. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Red Kite over House this morning. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr
Brilliant. The forum at its best, thank you.

Yep typo error on the I.pad :love:

Yep typo error on the I.pad :love:
That confused me too. Here's me up in my shutter speed (1/1600) at the expense of and your saying 1/100th. The this point I was getting concerned about my ability. This now makes sense although I have a lot to work on!

A lot of it is about field craft and knowing your subject start with your garden birds as advised then you'll understand they arent that elusive as when flying about in the sky, they need to feed so tempting them with regular food will draw them to you instead of trying to chase them at long distances, they will keep coming back as long as you top up the food regularly another trick is to take some seed with you on a woodland walk and put it on a wall or large bough and hang around and see what turns up,

Is that really 1/100th? Hand held at 600mm I would have expected 1/1000th.

The head-on shot of the C-130 Hercules I posted a few days ago was shot at 1/160 at 600mm so it's perfectly feasible to get good results at slow speeds. :)

just treated myself to a new bag as it happens .got the think tank glass limo ,it holds the sigma 150-600 sport with camera and lens hood extended perfect fit ,i can also get in the other sleaves a wide angle and a 70-200mm L ,the beauty of this bag is empty it only weighs 1.5kilo .the only others that come near are the big tamrac bags but there heavier and more expensive .

Thanks for the info, its looks like a really useful bag. Not cheap mind :runaway:

Thanks for the info, its looks like a really useful bag. Not cheap mind :runaway:
heres a pic of the lens with hood fitted ,on my 80d which is fitted with a battery grip ,as you can see there is still room for a 70-200 L lens ,and i could also squeeze in my wide angle if i was going away ,it looks like it bulges a bit in the pic but shuts up a treat IMG_3631.jpg

Last edited:
posted in the bird section but i'll post here to ,hand held on walkabout .still learning my way round this camera but its starting to gel the last post .jpg

Super set there Simon

I'm closely looking at this lens, presently selling my Nikkor 300mm f4 PF as the reach isn't long enough for my needs (even with a 1.4 TC). I fancy shooting wildlife and sports photography with the Sigma 150-600mm sports lens, the build quality looks superb! Any tips on where to pick one up from?
I'm using a D810 body.

Is there much difference over the 'contemporary' version?

Last edited:
I'm closely looking at this lens, presently selling my Nikkor 300mm f4 PF as the reach isn't long enough for my needs (even with a 1.4 TC)...

It's funny you should say that... I've been thinking about going the other way 'cos the Nikkor would be more use to me for weddings etc. :)

Back