Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

i keep thinking about buying a dock for my 150-600 only got it last week do you all think i am best getting one then ?
also if so where is best to get one :)

I think you really need one, not only for altering the lens settings but for any future updates Sigma produce for the lens. and the price for the dock is more or less set , so who ever stocks them to be honest.

My 50mm 1.4 art needed a lot of fiddling to get it right it was front focus by a fair bit at all distance so i got the dock and used it which transform the lens into a great performer.

My 150-600 didn't need any adjustment. If at all focal lens you cannot see any front or back focus i wouldn't really bother with a dock.

I think the firmware is still the same as when the lens came out too. Then you get more option with speed of focus vs accuracy and image stabilization but I've not play with these.

I think the firmware is still the same as when the lens came out too. Then you get more option with speed of focus vs accuracy and image stabilization but I've not play with these.

There have been 1 or 2 updates, depending if you shoot Canon or Nikon. The original was V1.01 for both and it is now up to V1.03, dated 27-10-16, for Canon and V1.02, dated 3-6-16, for Nikon.

I got my dock from MPB, about £10 cheaper and it didn't look like it was second hand, perfect condition.

Last edited:
It's worth getting the dock. I've used it to update the firmware and customise the settings.
At £45 it's worth it.

Definitely look better without the heavy crop.

Most of the time i have found this lens works better around the f8 or 7.1 esp at full zoom.

But it will come with practice, not that im an expert just from personally experience.

It is a great lens in good light.

Got out for another go with this lens.Did have a few problems with slow focus issues. learning curve I reckon.

Have you changed the focus settings with the dock? You can set the AF speed a lot quicker.

My 50mm 1.4 art needed a lot of fiddling to get it right it was front focus by a fair bit at all distance so i got the dock and used it which transform the lens into a great performer.

***My 150-600 didn't need any adjustment. If at all focal lens you cannot see any front or back focus i wouldn't really bother with a dock. ****

Bad advice I'd say. The dock is more about tweaking the settings (AF speed, AF accuracy, OS settings and setting up the custom switches for quick changes) and updating the firmware more so than AF micro adjust.

The only thing I've not done with the dock is mess with AF micro adjust.

Tbh mine isnt that great on fast focusing.

Mines very fast and surprisingly accurate set to its fastest setting - good enough for the red arrows and Formula 1, with a great keeper rate :)

And that's on a Canon 6d.

Mines very fast and surprisingly accurate set to its fastest setting - good enough for the red arrows and Formula 1, with a great keeper rate :)

And that's on a Canon 6d.

Lucky you, mine is shocking on the d750 no matter what setting i have it on.

Mind you i do compare it to my 70-200 2.8 vr1, Which is awesome, so perhaps i am expecting too much

Lucky you, mine is shocking on the d750 no matter what setting i have it on.

Mind you i do compare it to my 70-200 2.8 vr1, Which is awesome, so perhaps i am expecting too much

I'd have thought it would be pretty good on a d750?

At its fastest it compares very well to my 70-200.

I 've just brought one of these lenses can anyone recommend a harness suitable for it thanks

I 've just brought one of these lenses can anyone recommend a harness suitable for it thanks

Peak design the way to go [emoji106]

Many thanks for the link, must get round to checking my lens next weekend. :)

If it's fine at the moment, leave it well alone!

Yes that good for short distance but then try putting your 5 battery 15m away.... a battery at 15m distance and 150mm focal lens is not that big! even at 600mm.

I find fine tuning the 50mm was really simple because i could do it inside and do the infinity through a window on a distant object. But the 150-600 was much more of a headache. Hopefully as much as i tried to find tune mine I find it to be spot on all all the way.

Why do you need to do focus tests? Those look fine!

thanks. I think I get very critical of myself because I look at some of the stunning shots on here and know they aren't as clear, close, sharp etc. That is one of the things I like about this forum though - other people give me more inspiration to try and do better :) (as corny as it sounds!)

Back