Here goes... critique welcome

untitled-3430.jpg by paul bevan, on Flickr
untitled-3105.jpg by paul bevan, on Flickr
untitled-1214.jpg by paul bevan, on Flickr
untitled-0172.jpg by paul bevan, on Flickr
untitled-0011.jpg by paul bevan, on Flickr
untitled-8472.jpg by paul bevan, on Flickr
untitled-7537.jpg by paul bevan, on Flickr

They're all very good Paul! As been said the heron if you'd quite got all the reflection would be an absolutely amazing shot. But still a very good image on its own. Nothing to hideaway there.

Thanks all, Camera bag has been gathering dust this year so look forward to getting out more and bagging that heron!

I really REALLY want one of these lens, every one raves about the IQ so i hope to pick up one a photography show, however looking at this thread i am a little underwhelmed with a majority of the images shown here, grainy images due to higher iso i guess is a play off of achieving faster shutter speeds with the relative slow aperture, many images seem quite soft and lacking in detail and possible out of or missed focus, now i dont wanna nit pick on peoples images and as long as the photographer is happy thats all that matters, but the samples posted here are not giving me much faith on what to expect if i get one & for my photography..........Maybe i am expecting to much from this lens ?

Last edited:
I really REALLY want on of these lens, ever one raves about the IQ so i hope to pick up one a photography show, however looking at this thread i am a little underwhelmed with a majority of the images shown here, grainy images due to higher iso i guess is a play off of achieving faster shutter speeds with the relative slow aperture, many images seem quite soft and lacking in detail and possible out of or missed focus, now i dont wanna nit pick on peoples images and as long as the photographer is happy thats all that matters, am i expecting to much from this lens ?

As ive said before to get tack sharp images you need good light to get the best out of the lens. But if you way up the price you would have to pay to get iq from a 600mm prime i think that slightly outways it

I really REALLY want on of these lens, ever one raves about the IQ so i hope to pick up one a photography show, however looking at this thread i am a little underwhelmed with a majority of the images shown here, grainy images due to higher iso i guess is a play off of achieving faster shutter speeds with the relative slow aperture, many images seem quite soft and lacking in detail and possible out of or missed focus, now i dont wanna nit pick on peoples images and as long as the photographer is happy thats all that matters, but the samples posted here are not giving me much faith on what to expect if i get one & for my photography..........Maybe i am expecting to much from this lens ?

Really?

Most shots posted here are very good IMO.

And you don't even need to use that high an ISO in reality, for most of my action stuff I'm at ISO 200-800 which on a Canon 6d doesn't affect IQ at all, as it is with pretty much all modern bodies now (though the 6d is good in this regard). In normal conditions on average (for example), ISO 200 at f/9 gives me a shutter speed of 1/800, so the whole 'slow lens' thing is a bit of scaremongering when it comes to real world shooting. Its only when conditions are really tough a faster lens would be needed.

fin with the wind in his hair :) by Jim, on Flickr

Storm Doris, off the coast of Freshwater,, IOW, UK by Jim, on Flickr

11 by Jim, on Flickr

Hamilton 3 by Jim, on Flickr

10 by Jim, on Flickr

Apart from the last one, those were all shot in less than ideal light and conditions. Its a truly brilliant, versatile and very sharp lens, any issues will be down to the user, not the lens.

Last edited:
I really REALLY want one of these lens, every one raves about the IQ so i hope to pick up one a photography show, however looking at this thread i am a little underwhelmed with a majority of the images shown here, grainy images due to higher iso i guess is a play off of achieving faster shutter speeds with the relative slow aperture, many images seem quite soft and lacking in detail and possible out of or missed focus, now i dont wanna nit pick on peoples images and as long as the photographer is happy thats all that matters, but the samples posted here are not giving me much faith on what to expect if i get one & for my photography..........Maybe i am expecting to much from this lens ?
You need to spend £10k on a Nikon 600 f4 :)
I've seen and taken plenty of clean sharp images with this lens.
I have posted a few taken at high iso but they were taken in very dull conditions and my D7000 has limitations at high iso

Last edited:
Yes, I need to learn how to do that. And thanks by the way!

Below the picture in flickr on the right hand side there is an arrow, click that, click BBcode, chose a size 800x or if large 1024x, copy link and paste in forum. It helps to have 2 tabs open.

I like your landscape with the tree on the left, shows that this lens can be used for all sorts of things.

Below the picture in flickr on the right hand side there is an arrow, click that, click BBcode, chose a size 800x or if large 1024x, copy link and paste in forum. It helps to have 2 tabs open.

I like your landscape with the tree on the left, shows that this lens can be used for all sorts of things.
i think he has sussed it ;)

Is anyone using this lens in conjunction with the Nikon D500, if so how do you find the combination works, especially in relation to bird photography?

I have the combo and I'm very pleased with the performance of both. AF is excellent after coming from a D750, and a D810 which I still have. I'm more than impressed with the ISO performance compared to my last DX camera the D7100 and find the files clean up nice. I have disabilities, so any limitations would be down to me, but for my bird photography I'm more than impressed. I have had a couple of 300mm F4 AFS primes along with the 1.4TC and I much prefer this combo.

Some bird photos with the combo.

Coal Tit

Coal tit by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Goldfinch portrait

Goldfinch Portrait by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Long Tail Tit

Long Tail Tit by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

I don't understand why you "really REALLY want" a lens that you are underwhelmed with the images of. Seems like a bit of a contradiction. There are other choices, I know, I tried most of them before buying my contemporary. IMO there are plenty of excellent images on here that show how good this lens is but I also agree there are a few I think have perhaps been over cropped or not edited as good as they could have been. But overall the standard is very high, especially when you weigh up using a 600mm lens is not that easy and what the subject matter people are taking photos of.

You need to spend £10k on a Nikon 600 f4 :)

There is also the new Sigma 500mmf4 Sport which is only £5000. It is only 500mm and weighs well over a kilo more but apart from that it looks good on paper and even better in the bare metal. I would love one but £5000 is a lot of wedge and I also don't have a big enough cupboard to hide it from my wife in. :(

I got this lens mainly for wildlife in particular owls which unfortunately don't come out to play until the light drops but I still quite like my grainy, soft and lacking in detail ISO 12800 shots.

Barn Owl
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

I fully understand that its cheap for the range compared to 500 & 600mm Nikon primes, of which in IQ it cant really compete, but some images here just dont do the lens justice & dont make me as a future purchaser of this lens convinced it can produce great results :-( saying that i dont know what my end results from my ability will produce :)

@PINNACLE & @Swanseajack Thank for posting these, IMO are pretty dam fine images, the kinda that do impress me very much and make me want this lens even more.

I guess this proves mine & others theory that the end result is more down the the photographers ability, lighting conditions rather than just lens capability

I fully understand that its cheap for the range compared to 500 & 600mm Nikon primes, of which in IQ it cant really compete, but some images here just dont do the lens justice & dont make me as a future purchaser of this lens convinced it can produce great results :-( saying that i dont know what my end results from my ability will produce :)

@PINNACLE & @Swanseajack Thank for posting these, IMO are pretty dam fine images, the kinda that do impress me very much and make me want this lens even more.

I guess this proves mine & others theory that the end result is more down the the photographers ability, lighting conditions rather than just lens capability
The lens is more than capable, are you?

My first ever Stoat today :)

Hello Sweetie by David Ore, on Flickr

Very nice picture. They are beautiful creatures really and very talented predators. I see them very often crossing the road specially in the summer months. We get a lot of these guy up here in Orkney and here they are considered a pest. They are very recent arrival on the island and they are being a bit too successful and are putting the already declining native species in danger. A program of extermination will be carried out in the future but there's fear that it is already too late.

Anyone with one of these also had Nikon 200-500 love hear your views between them. Cheers

Firmware update problem.
Ok, my dock arrived yesterday, I downloaded the software from Sigma and connected it up, first it checked the firmware version of the dock(which I presume was up to date) it then said there was a later firmware for the lens did I want to up date, after reading all the warnings I clicked yes, the update started and the green bar was progressing along, about a third of the way it stopped, the software greyed out and I got "SIGMA Optimization Pro is not responding" the green light on the dock was permanently lit up at this point so I waited.... and waited.... half an hour passed and still nothing happened so very reluctantly I terminated SIGMA Optimization Pro via task manager.
I restarted the software to be greeted with the message "firmware update failed would you like to try again" to which I pressed yes, everything then went smoothly the firmware updated and the lens works fine.
I had all sorts of visions of having to send the lens back to Sigma or it was ruined for good, but fortunately all ended well (I think).
It could only happen to me.......

Firmware update problem.
Ok, my dock arrived yesterday, I downloaded the software from Sigma and connected it up, first it checked the firmware version of the dock(which I presume was up to date) it then said there was a later firmware for the lens did I want to up date, after reading all the warnings I clicked yes, the update started and the green bar was progressing along, about a third of the way it stopped, the software greyed out and I got "SIGMA Optimization Pro is not responding" the green light on the dock was permanently lit up at this point so I waited.... and waited.... half an hour passed and still nothing happened so very reluctantly I terminated SIGMA Optimization Pro via task manager.
I restarted the software to be greeted with the message "firmware update failed would you like to try again" to which I pressed yes, everything then went smoothly the firmware updated and the lens works fine.
I had all sorts of visions of having to send the lens back to Sigma or it was ruined for good, but fortunately all ended well (I think).

I seem to vaguely remember mine took two attempts at the firmware update when I first had it, but it's absolutely fine.

Firmware update problem.

I had that once as my internet connection blipped but you just start again with no issues. I even tested the lens as I rebooted and it was utterly dead which caused me some worry, but a quick reload and it was all in order!

I don't understand why you "really REALLY want" a lens that you are underwhelmed with the images of. Seems like a bit of a contradiction. There are other choices, I know, I tried most of them before buying my contemporary. IMO there are plenty of excellent images on here that show how good this lens is but I also agree there are a few I think have perhaps been over cropped or not edited as good as they could have been. But overall the standard is very high, especially when you weigh up using a 600mm lens is not that easy and what the subject matter people are taking photos of.

There is also the new Sigma 500mmf4 Sport which is only £5000. It is only 500mm and weighs well over a kilo more but apart from that it looks good on paper and even better in the bare metal. I would love one but £5000 is a lot of wedge and I also don't have a big enough cupboard to hide it from my wife in. :(

I got this lens mainly for wildlife in particular owls which unfortunately don't come out to play until the light drops but I still quite like my grainy, soft and lacking in detail ISO 12800 shots.

Barn Owl

Did you apply much noise reduction in post? I have a 7D ii but rarely go to 12,800.

Did you apply much noise reduction in post? I have a 7D ii but rarely go to 12,800.
I edit in Lightroom 5 will go to +60-70 Luminance and if still noisy I use Dfine2 add in which was a free download. I have been out a bit earlier the last couple of days and had ISO 2500 to 8000 and I much prefer getting rid of noise at 12,800, the specks are much smaller. I will have a proper try over the next few weeks and report back.

One of my favourite owl shots to date

Barny shot I really like

And a mate taking video

Barn Owl being videoed

was just going to bed and noticed we had no clouds in the sky so grabbed this, my first moon shot :)

would love some opinions about the shot, good or bad, not enough shutter speed?, under exposed ?... do I need to up the brightness / exposure

moon shot 2.jpg

was just going to bed and noticed we had no clouds in the sky so grabbed this, my first moon shot :)

would love some opinions about the shot, good or bad, not enough shutter speed?, under exposed ?... do I need to up the brightness / exposure

Really nice. What settings did you use? Keep thinking about using mine for some moon shots and then forget to do it!

Back