Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Thinking of selling mine and going back to portrait work. I cant get on with wildlife photography.

Thinking of selling mine and going back to portrait work. I cant get on with wildlife photography.

You can use it for a lot more than wildlife :) (including portraits)

Last edited:
Less weight ... I want the lens for airshows mainly and hand holding a 3kg lens plus a gripped 7D all day is a non starter for me these days. I still don't know if the problem was with me or the Sport version (although I do think the OS was suspect on the one I had) but a lighter (and yes, if it does the same job ... cheaper) lens with this range would be a welcome addition to my kit.

I am tempted to get this lens for use at airshows as well. I currently use EF70-300L IS USM which is a great lens. I can not use a canon extender as the rear glass element protrudes into the camera body.
Is the AF tracking good enough for say fast jets ! ?
I am not worried about weight but cost is always an issue,..ha

I am tempted to get this lens for use at airshows as well. I currently use EF70-300L IS USM which is a great lens. I can not use a canon extender as the rear glass element protrudes into the camera body.

You can use a Kenko extender on your 70-300mmL with no issues. I have one for mine and it works well.

It will keep up with jets no problem.

The Kenko DGX 1.4 will work with your 70-300L but it is then very slow to focus. I tried it but gave up after a few attempts.

It will keep up with jets no problem.

The Kenko DGX 1.4 will work with your 70-300L but it is then very slow to focus. I tried it but gave up after a few attempts.

I have read reviews it could damage the cameras circuitry so that is the reason I have not brought one !

I use the Kenko DGX 1.4 with the 70-300mm L lens on a 6D and although it give a max of f8 I've never had a problem with the auto focus. I use the center spot 90% of the time and found that the focus is no different compared to without the extender. It's a great combination.

Garden visitor from yesterday

DSC_2823_zpsenf1mymz.jpg

Putting mine up for sale over the week end. Going back to doing portraits again.

I am 69 and brought one last week. Only played with it so far but looking forward to spending some time in nature reserve hides ( maybe still a bit small on a full frame ) and wildlife parks ( where it will be perfect )

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on this thread. I was wondering whether or not anyone here uses their 150-600C with the Sigma x1.4TC ? If so, how badly doe this influence the AF speed and sharpness ?

In short, I am wondering whether I can get away with using this lens plus x1.4TC on a D810 (or maybe a D850 ?) as opposed to shooting without and using a D500.

FWIW, I owned a D810 a couple of years ago, really liked it, and regularly used it with other long lenses and found it to be a really versatile body giving some great wildlife images. I just do not know how this particular lens plus TC would work on the D810 body, or the D850, which I might go for at a pinch.

Any user-experience would be very much appreciated.

Gary

Bit of a landscape trek round parts of North Wales at the weekend and so so glad I kept the big sigma in the bag when others just had walkabout and wide angles with them :)

This was under the bridge at Betws-y-Coed

Heron at Betws-y-coed by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Just tried my 150-600c on my new to me D700 only to see what sort of quality I will get (pic only to see quality not well composed) and boy am I impressed, VERY impressed, I cant wait to get out at the weekend with this combo and get some stunning shots, the DoF at f14 is just superb as are the focus points, I loved this lens on the D7000 but now its on a FF body..........WOW

DSC_6846_zpsc0ykxwr2.jpg

Back