Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

How to you find the difference in IQ and AF speed between the two lenses?

There is a lot of difference with AF with the Sigma being a lot slower and searching more even when restricted on distance. This was very noticeable on small fast birds like Hobby's and Swifts this weekend especially with busy backgrounds as I did not get one shot and started to wish I had taken the 500mm out as it has performed well so far.

As for IQ I have seen and taken some pretty sharp images with the Sigma hence getting another one but again the Canon does beat it by a fair bit if you really start zooming in, which is only to be expected It is a prime lens costing quite a considerable amount more even when bought second hand. Pitch any prime lens against the Sigma and they will more likely win. My 300mmf4 is sharper even with a 1.4TC on in my opinion.

The Sigma C has very decent IQ and wins on focal lengths, weight and size by a fair bit and the image OS is probably better than the mark one version of the 500mmf4 but then I rarely use it.

They are two different tools.

Like the pics. Would you recommend a visit to Skokholm? I gather it is a stay only visit but how does it compare with Skomer?
Yes l would recommend it, since going there l have not been back to Skomer as l love the place and now pretty much know the wardens. Photo opportunities are better on Skomer l would say though.

Nice to see some really excellent shots being taken with this lens.
I'll be back on the road with it soon, just bought another of these crackers after to having to sell my 2 previous ones due to personal circumstances which was gutting.
Can't wait to have this gem back in my armoury and and am so looking forward to getting out with it again.

I have just ordered one of these based on the reviews and sample photos. looking forward to getting out and trying it for myself.

Tempted by one of these on the d800. My heart says get the sport but my head says it's not worth the extra for the amount I'd use it. Anybody using teleconverters on them?

Tempted by one of these on the d800. My heart says get the sport but my head says it's not worth the extra for the amount I'd use it. Anybody using teleconverters on them?

The sport is a lot heavier making it less of a walkabout lens. I was tempted with the sport for weather sealing but just got a waterproof cover instead and have still not used it. How often do you go out and take photos in the rain for fun?

The sport is a lot heavier making it less of a walkabout lens. I was tempted with the sport for weather sealing but just got a waterproof cover instead and have still not used it. How often do you go out and take photos in the rain for fun?

Never!!

Does anyone know how many focus points are available using this lens on an 80d?

The reason I ask is I have been reviewing some of my pics and the most I have in focus at anytime is 9 this is using the 45 point automatic selection but with my Canon 18-135 I have many more focus points used.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many focus points are available using this lens on an 80d?

The reason I ask is I have been reviewing some of my pics and the most I have in focus at anytime is 9 this is using the 45 point automatic selection but with my Canon 18-135 I have many more focus points used.

You won't ever have all the focus points active at any one time, it'll target the area around the main subject / movement. You'll never have a completely flat focal plane using all AF points unless you're shooting a flat piece of paper on a rostrum setup!

Back