Sigma 50mm 1.4 art..worth the £££

Yeah it's a doddle. A bit of a faff with having to keep putting it on the camera and then plugging it back into the PC but it's worth it.

Just thinking, it maybe a little awkward for you with 2 bodies as they could be quite a bit different. Could be worth having the 35 set to the D750 and the 50 set to the D800.

You can alter the focus at 4 distances which is fab imo.

I thought this lens only had 12 month warranty but been seeing people mention a 3 year extended one on art lenses? How do I get this as warranty sheet in the box which you attach sticker to only mentions 12 months?? Is it just extended automatically when you return paperwork? Sorry for dumb question

I thought this lens only had 12 month warranty but been seeing people mention a 3 year extended one on art lenses? How do I get this as warranty sheet in the box which you attach sticker to only mentions 12 months?? Is it just extended automatically when you return paperwork? Sorry for dumb question

It's often when brought from certain retailers sigma give a longer warranty.

I'm finding my 1.8G just a little too soft, I use it a lot around the house but even at 2.8 its quite average. This lens is £536 on Amazon at the mo, I might get one end of the month.

I still have a stumbling block with sigma though having had my fingers burnt a few times in the past.

Last edited:
I'm finding my 1.8G just a little too soft, I use it a lot around the house but even at 2.8 its quite average. This lens is £536 on Amazon at the mo, I might get one end of the month.

I still have a stumbling block with sigma though having had my fingers burnt a few times in the past.

Don't. It's ace. Also, but the dock for better performance.

Well at least with Amazon I can send back with no quibble if I get an issue. I am shooting an awful a lot at the moment at 50mm which has surprised me. The 1.8G is a toy really and just doesn't ever wow me, probably spoilt. I'd get the dock for sure.

Bugger! Think im suffering a little GAS now, haven't had that for a while!

Well at least with Amazon I can send back with no quibble if I get an issue. I am shooting an awful a lot at the moment at 50mm which has surprised me. The 1.8G is a toy really and just doesn't ever wow me, probably spoilt. I'd get the dock for sure.

Bugger! Think im suffering a little GAS now, haven't had that for a while!

I liked the f1.8g but always stopped it down - f2 usually. The sigma is sharper than sharpy mcsharpface holding a samurai sword. Even wide open!

An old shot - J wasn't too keen at the time and I'll be more careful with the angles for the specs next time......

Stern by NikonSR, on Flickr

Last edited:
I liked the f1.8g but always stopped it down - f2 usually. The sigma is sharper than sharpy mcsharpface holding a samurai sword. Even wide open!

An old shot - J wasn't too keen at the time and I'll be more careful with the angles for the specs next time......

Stern by NikonSR, on Flickr

Nice! I might chop in my 14-24, always wanted one but I really don't shoot that wide. Need a 24-70 for flexibility so the WA could fund that and leave a little over for one of these too...hmmm...

Nice! I might chop in my 14-24, always wanted one but I really don't shoot that wide. Need a 24-70 for flexibility so the WA could fund that and leave a little over for one of these too...hmmm...

Actually looking back at that pic, I had stopped down to f1.8 [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I know we are talking about the 50, but how does the 35 stack up against the 35 f1.4g?

I know we are talking about the 50, but how does the 35 stack up against the 35 f1.4g?

The Sigma is so damn good that I wouldnt even consider paying Nikons price... this is my favourite lens.

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 08.40.49.png

this seems to be a superb lens, what is this like compared to nikon/canon 50mm 1.4
I have owned the 50mm 1.8g the 50mm 1.4g and the 50mm 1.8D also used a sigma 50mm ex dg briefly and this art lens is leagues above them in my opinion.

Interesting comments about the Nikon 50 1.8G - I ended up returning mine because it was so disappointing, even compared to the Minolta 50 1.7 and Sony 50 1.4 on a crop body. Shame the ART lenses are just a little out of my price range.

The Sigma is so damn good that I wouldnt even consider paying Nikons price... this is my favourite lens.

View attachment 66443

I have the 1.4g but still not got round to trying as waiting for camera. I can sell at profit and afford Sigma with plenty of ££ spare for other bits and bobs if I'm not happy with it!

I have the 1.4g but still not got round to trying as waiting for camera. I can sell at profit and afford Sigma with plenty of ££ spare for other bits and bobs if I'm not happy with it!

I think if you got it for a good price it makes the decision more difficult. Its not as if the Nikon sucks.

But the lure of selling it and buying a new Siggy along with a fair bit of change makes it simpler... ;)

Simpler? Probably not, but would be tempting. Guess it depends on how much the OP likes the Nikkor, I know some prefer it over the Sigma.

I think the bokeh is nicer from the Nik but the sharpness won't be. I'd rather have the Siggy and £250 in my pocket.

SIMPLE.

:D

Looking at grey prices of the siggy (£535) and prices of the f1.4g (£900 on ebay for mint one) its more like £400 lol

Errr, thatll be 900 less 14% then. £770 ;)

Im confused lol - I have the f1.4g and could sell at £900 and buy Sigma for £535. Where does £770 come from? lol

EBAY FEES!!! Did you think Ebay and Paypal dont charge?

Oh I know all about fees lol. Advertise on ebay at inflated price with blurb in description saying contact if wish to pay wth aternative payment from paypal.

I would say 90% of my sales on ebay come that way!

Oh I know all about fees lol. Advertise on ebay at inflated price with blurb in description saying contact if wish to pay wth aternative payment from paypal.

I would say 90% of my sales on ebay come that way!

That only really works when you sell at roughly ebay prices less fees otherwise people would just buy the £900 lens and have the safety of Ebay protection. Id be very surprised if you achieve £900 for that lens however you sell it.

Also, watch out for selling stuff via PP without Ebay backing as proof of sale.

Last edited:
Its easy, ebay prices usually so much more that prices on here. Advertise on ebay, people offer an amount. Do deal through paypal, remove ebay listing. Simples!

Its easy, ebay prices usually so much more that prices on here. Advertise on ebay, people offer an amount. Do deal through paypal, remove ebay listing. Simples!

All so simple, till they do a chargeback after theyve received the item or use a hacked PP account. Then youre stuffed.

All so simple, till they do a chargeback after theyve received the item or use a hacked PP account. Then youre stuffed.

Could do exactly the same if bought through ebay or on here or anywhere!

Could do exactly the same if bought through ebay or on here or anywhere!

Wrong, on ebay you have proof of sale, the system works as both parties have relevant shared info through PP/Ebay. On here or elsewhere youre back to people not paying you £900 (ebay money), Id rather buy/sell something here than from a random PP account.

Last edited:
Back