Sigma 50mm 1.4 art..worth the £££

Money lol

Tbh, at what you're looking to spend on glass you could probably go fx at the cost of one lens. Or even pick up a used d700/600 for less. Both very capable depending on wetter you want fast AF or a better sensor.

Tbh, at what you're looking to spend on glass you could probably go fx at the cost of one lens. Or even pick up a used d700/600 for less. Both very capable depending on wetter you want fast AF or a better sensor.

It's a fair point. The main reason for choosing a fast prime is to create extra background blur (unless it's for very low light work) and there's just more of that on full-frame - a bit over one stop more.

If the plan is to upgrade to FF at a later date, I would say do that now. Format is fundamental, it dictates everything else. With FF, you get the most from those fast lenses while learning. But if you start off on a cropper, when the time comes to change they'll behave completely differently. You'll probably have to sell and swap them to get the right field of view back, and start learning all over again.

It's a great alternative for those who can't afford the 58mm 1.4G.............:whistle:

Anyone tried the 30mm 1.4 art dc lens?..if so how does it stack up against the 35?

Rather hear from people on here and their opinions

I'd be surprised if you do, the 30 is apsc most will be using the 35 on ff so have no experience of both side by side. The 35 art is in a different league to most lenses, I highly doubt the 30 is anywhere near as good.

Yeah the 35 does look exceptional just trying to decide on wether to bite the bullet on one or go for another 18-35mm was only considering the 30mm due to cost.

Yeah appreciate that mate but didn't want to spend almost £600 on a lens and have to fart around doing micro adjustments with the dock at additional cost

Yeah appreciate that mate but didn't want to spend almost £600 on a lens and have to fart around doing micro adjustments with the dock at additional cost

If you have more than one sigma lens, the dock is a no brainer.

not as yet but heard its a bit of a faff to calibrate a zoom on the dock.

not as yet but heard its a bit of a faff to calibrate a zoom on the dock.

One mans faff is another mans perfecting? If you do it via the camera it can't be done at different distances/focal lengths. This way you get to do it to suit your camera.

The dock imho is a marketing bit of genius from sigma to compliment their excellent lens line up

At least you can use the dock with some Sigma lenses but if you have Canon or Nikon or anyone elses lenses there's no dock.

Nice shots mate,had a lot going on here so not really had much chance to get out with any of my stuff.

edit due to duplicate posts for some reason

Last edited:
Nice shots mate,had a lot going on here so not really had much chance to get out with any of my stuff.

The 50 art is a lovely lens but I had persistant af problems !

Well mine arrived today. Technically, it arrived yesterday but held by postie as I was out.

Now that I'm holding it I can certainly confirm it's a beauty of a lens. AF fine tune of +10 (no dock) which seems to get it spot on for all focus distances.

Sadly I have work to do, otherwise I'd get out there and shoot stuff. Might need to get a few studio shots rattled off later tonight...

Silly lens purchase demands a silly photo...

qsYB61Gh.jpg

lens definitely needs the modelling light on for focus lock... and the photographer needs to remember subjects have two eyes and it would be nice to see both properly ;)

Edited to add: I presume that as part of the lens purchase, Sigma send ninjas to watch over your photography, who confiscate the lens if you ever stop down below 1.4??

Last edited:
Silly lens purchase demands a silly photo...

qsYB61Gh.jpg

lens definitely needs the modelling light on for focus lock... and the photographer needs to remember subjects have two eyes and it would be nice to see both properly ;)

Edited to add: I presume that as part of the lens purchase, Sigma send ninjas to watch over your photography, who confiscate the lens if you ever stop down below 1.4??
Same as the Nikon 58... anything other than a 1.4 and you're done. A slip of the finger in aperture priority and you're left in the cold :confused:

I owned the lens for a few months. Beautiful output on par with a 50mm 'lux asph. But so very heavy. The size made me sell it as it didn't balance on my SLR.

Back