Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

Just bumping this thread up to the top (for a short while :)) as I'm looking to replace the DP3M that I sold some time ago, so if you have one that's just gathering dust or hibernating please let me know, and yes I do have a wanted add running but not many peeps bother to look in there so I thought I'd try this.

Just bumping this thread up to the top (for a short while :)) as I'm looking to replace the DP3M that I sold some time ago, so if you have one that's just gathering dust or hibernating please let me know, and yes I do have a wanted add running but not many peeps bother to look in there so I thought I'd try this.

I've been after a used DP1M Timbut no luck ......... best new deal seems to be src microsystems at £319

as you know, you will need at least 4 batteries and a lens hood

I did contemplate selling my dp2m but think it may be the ricoh that goes tbh..I always tend to grab the sigma out the bag instead of the ricoh.

Hi Bill, yes their offer runs until the end of January so I have a month to try and turn something up on here (y)

I did contemplate selling my dp2m but think it may be the ricoh that goes tbh..I always tend to grab the sigma out the bag instead of the ricoh.

wish I'd not sold the 3 really but you live and learn.

Yes mate really missed my dp2 and dp3 when I sold then but of the 2 the dp2m used to get the most use so brought another off here when one became available. I really love the simplicity of them despite the odd few drawbacks and of course image quality knocks most things out the park.

Yes mate really missed my dp2 and dp3 when I sold then but of the 2 the dp2m used to get the most use so brought another off here when one became available. I really love the simplicity of them despite the odd few drawbacks and of course image quality knocks most things out the park.

Yes image quality is excellent but the file sizes and workflow are a drag but that IQ is worth it, taken me several months to realise that, I'm bidding on one at the moment and if the worst comes to the worst then SRS have them at £319, just need another £30 of batteries lol

I dont do a great deal of photography at present so the extra work load isnt a big issue for me.

yesterday morning - DP3M

DP3M0311.jpg

DP3M0305-2.jpg

Last edited:
I just wonder what comes next for the Sigma merrill .... the quattro just doesn't seem to be popular - £350 is a great deal for what you get, (a magic sensor and a stellar lens) ...... but they are for a limited market and anymore than that £ and they may struggle

Those deer look tiny :eek:
Should have a canvas. Coming soon of a horse pic I look with dp2:)

I have gone for a DP1(original) I found on Amazon, "hardly used boxed complete with 2 hoods 2 batteries screen and lens clear and free of marks) £81

be interesting to see how it fairs, I really should have kept one of the Merrills but too much money invested in them and I had no do it all camera, still I should have kept at least one... ne'er mind not dwelling on the past.

I have gone for a DP1(original) I found on Amazon, "hardly used boxed complete with 2 hoods 2 batteries screen and lens clear and free of marks) £81

be interesting to see how it fairs, I really should have kept one of the Merrills but too much money invested in them and I had no do it all camera, still I should have kept at least one... ne'er mind not dwelling on the past.
Bargain! Must admit regretted selling my merrills so had to get another.

I have the 1 and 2, my 3 is arriving tomorrow :)

Edit: Well with the image quality on offer at under £350 a pop it's hard to resist.

Last edited:
That's a nice looking storage box :D
I like it that they don't look an intimidating camera, very much under the radar.

That's a nice looking storage box :D
I like it that they don't look an intimidating camera, very much under the radar.

yep :), sadly with the rumours of 50mp canon, they wont be sharper than anything released by canon for much longer :(

they are still a great camera, and I do like the generic looks, why I never went for offical lens hoods aswell

They're brilliant that way.

I have found that I feel a lot more discrete carrying my DPMs about in an urban environment. You just don't draw the same attention to yourself.

I used to have all 3 but my very good friend Ricardo decided he liked them too much and took them home with him... Mind you, he did leave me with a very nice lens for my Leica in return. I do miss them and I have banged on at Sigma UK to make one with a changeable lens system

Cant argue with that! Look forward to seeing how it compares to the merrill

They might claim that they have an interchangeable camera system which is a bick quicker but bulkier.

They lent me that thing for a few weeks to test out and to be honest it's a pile of dung to use, I was forewarned before taking it for a spin that I would not like it.. I think they need a small DP Merrill with interchangeable lenses, maybe in Leica mount hahahahaha I wish.

some say it has nicer colours than the merrill, just lower res
flash is nice, but slower to operate

some say it has nicer colours than the merrill, just lower res
flash is nice, but slower to operate

faster to operate, menu is basic so quicker to navigate, I have ISO on a custom button and it cycles through the ISO which is only auto/50/100/200/400/800 so really quick, being lower res raws are only 14-16meg so write time is quicker, detail is edge to edge just as amazing but lower res so no mahoosive printing like you can with the Merrills, battery life is looking better, flash is very usable with better than the normal results but cannot see it being used which is why they shot of it I guess.

cons, it is looking like the superb monochrome options I liked were a Merrill onward implementation in SPP; LCD tech shows its age and does not live preview exposure..

when did Lightroom start supporting .X3F or is just the pre Merrill Sigmas? surely X3F raw is the same?

yep :), sadly with the rumours of 50mp canon, they wont be sharper than anything released by canon for much longer :(

they are still a great camera, and I do like the generic looks, why I never went for offical lens hoods aswell

Maybe but remember it's also a combination of the lens and sensor.
Also I'm not sure I'd want lug around heavyweight gear in deference something as portable as a DPxM ;)

I hate looking at this thread as there is something about these images that I really really like....

Back