Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

Pretty scene :)

Thanks, it's close to where I work, I'd already missed a few photo opportunities on route that morning so this was the last straw, the church yard was begging for a few shots with the fresh snow and all :)

Just bagged myself a DP2 from the classifieds and looking forward to receiving it and using it as all the images I have seen have the Woe factor about them and I like that I like it a lot.

Just bagged myself a DP2 from the classifieds and looking forward to receiving it and using it as all the images I have seen have the Woe factor about them and I like that I like it a lot.

2m was my least fave out of the three, personal pref of course.. the 3m was out of this world astonishing, 1m was great to see edge to edge detial from a 28mm.. the 2m was middle ground meh IMO but still excellent images but just wasn't worth the effort for me... should have never sold the 3m that's fer sure.

I have a 3 which is great, it's so special!! - I'm looking for a "mint" 1 - anybody?

Looking forward to start using it :)......weather permitting!

I have a 2m and a 3m as well as an old original DP1. They're all rather special although I think the 3m is my favourite (sorry strumstrum - you can't have it back yet !)

are you running the ver 2.0 firmware which opens up iso 50, custom assign, faster af etc...? it pretty much made it a whole new camera compared to the older firmware..

I am thinking it maybe worth holding onto seeing as I am only going to see £80-89 for it...

Yes it's got v2 firmware. Must admit since getting the Merrills I've hardly used the DP1, but maybe I'll give it an outing :)

No camera lens combo can come close to the merrills and the amazing foveon sensor

No camera lens combo can come close to the merrills and the amazing foveon sensor

Certainly if you use them in their sweet spot, nothing comes close, particularly at the current price point.
The DPxMERRILLS are capable of conveying images with a very special feel as well as amazing pixel level detail.

You missed a bit, just tag this onto the end of what you typed ->......when shooting certain subjects under appropriate conditions. :)
While I really like my DP3 Merrill I've tended to use it for macro work and using it (instead of my far heavier/costly 5d2/100L/mr-14) can sometimes feel like a form of self punishment. However it is worth it as the results from it can be great for such a compact camera. I need to get a flash for it, as I could really have been doing with one on a few occassions.

Here is a test for the DP2 pitch black and windy good job my Bembo 1 tripod did :)

100% crop

Last edited:
You missed a bit, just tag this onto the end of what you typed ->......when shooting certain subjects under appropriate conditions. :)
While I really like my DP3 Merrill I've tended to use it for macro work and using it (instead of my far heavier/costly 5d2/100L/mr-14) can sometimes feel like a form of self punishment. However it is worth it as the results from it can be great for such a compact camera. I need to get a flash for it, as I could really have been doing with one on a few occassions.

the main challenge is low light, focus, colour quality all go quite bad
ive taken some macro with led ring light, and off camera metz c 20? i had some bad exposures but not sure why, i might of covered the sensor on flash...

i used a yn canon ttl lead, sigma uses same pin layout :). ill try with my 140 baby ttl flash next time

Great shots Andy.no other camera will get that level of detail..even the new canon 50 mega pixel.bayer sensor can't get that detail even with the best Zeus lenses

Nice Camera :)

Just put a wanted ad in the classifieds for a DP3 :) for Macro use.

Last edited:
Just got a Marumi Achromat Macro 200, (+5) screw in for my DP3M so will give macros a try when I can get some good outside light - needed a step down ring from 52mm to 49mm

still looking for a used DP1M for about £230 …… looks like I will have to buy a new one

Last edited:
Where is the cheapest place for a new DP3 now?.................I got the Merrill bug!

Where is the cheapest place for a new DP3 now?.................I got the Merrill bug!

AFAIK - srmicrosystems - google them - they are in Watford, but also advertised on Ebay -- £320 if I remember correctly

Personally I'v found myself using my DP1M mostly for B&W, you don't need to deal with the colour issues and the graduation has a unique look to it.

J1scedU.jpg

HCFngR7.jpg

I am amazed how the DP2 copes at night the detail is staggering.

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread for a while really like the images on here.
So how good is the image quality on these compared to Nikon D810, Olypus OMD EM-1 and the Fuji X-Pro 1. Really fancy a lightweight quality option.

For what is a compact camera (DP1,2 or 3M) the images are just amazing, really stunning IMHO.
I'll qualify that by saying when using them in their sweet spot which isn't that different at all to 35 mm film. It was never really a problem then.
That qualification is a veiled way of saying that they're not a camera to be rushed.

So I have an E-M1 and E-M5 which are just great as a general purpose tools, the Pro lenses are stunning and image quality is really very good, the m4/3rds format is a great size/quality balance.
But in optimum conditions the Merrills' tonality, resolution and general look/impression is up at the top of the next division.
That's why I have ended up with all three (Merrills).

Example DP2M shot from lunch time today (full size image available on FLICKR)
River Lambourn by huw.prosser, on Flickr

Last edited:
For what is a compact camera (DP1,2 or 3M) the images are just amazing, really stunning IMHO.
I'll qualify that by saying when using them in their sweet spot which isn't that different at all to 35 mm film. It was never really a problem then.
That qualification is a veiled way of saying that they're not a camera to be rushed.

So I have an E-M1 and E-M5 which are just great as a general purpose tools, the Pro lenses are stunning and image quality is really very good, the m4/3rds format is a great size/quality balance.
But in optimum conditions the Merrills' tonality, resolution and general look/impression is up at the top of the next division.
That's why I have ended up with all three (Merrills).

Thanks Huw have a D810 and a E-M1, the 810 is a lovey tool but a weight to carry about when walking was thinking of getting a DP1 to carry along with the E-M1, im more than happy to take my time when using one.
Out of interest whats the DR like.

Thanks Huw have a D810 and a E-M1, the 810 is a lovey tool but a weight to carry about when walking was thinking of getting a DP1 to carry along with the E-M1, im more than happy to take my time when using one.
Out of interest whats the DR like.

Not too bad really, it's not as good as the E-M1 or 5 but workable.
I often pull back highlights expecting not to totally recover them but end up being pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Not too bad really, it's not as good as the E-M1 or 5 but workable.
I often pull back highlights expecting not to totally recover them but end up being pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for the info, think im going to get one but after reading about them fancy a DP3 as well :D

What is peoples normal workflow with raws? Just use the sigma software to convert them to tiffs and then use LT/PS?

SPP6.2 for exposure, highlight recovery and white balance adjustments.
Export 16Bit TIFF and all other tweaks/adjustments in Capture One Pro (my favourite RAW converter).
You might also take a look at Helicon Filter which can can open and edit X3F files directly. Although it doesn't deal with highlight or shadow recovery as well as SPP.

Last edited:
the main bug bear for me is write speed if you want to review pic or show someone the pic, highlight recovery is normally good, bumping shadows not so much, but it does mostly preview exposure well so its not a big issue

speed of operation is fine otherwise, just set auto is to 100 to 500 range or about that, and use apature proity mode, center focus. so if you understand the exposure triangle and can hold the camera steady ish (leaf shutter is great), use the scrolly wheel to get what you want. easy and one handed operation:)

exp comp on left right arrow keys, which my dad seems to press and get over exposed shots...

Cheers guys just ordered a DP1 be intresting to see how I get on with it. Any 3rd party battery recommendations?

I've just bought a 16 35mm f4 so that blow my budget for a couple of months, (along with the D750)

hope they don't run out!!!

Back