Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

The grip looks Impressive on the Quattro, I have sent for the Arca Swiss l bracket which has the grip included in the design after my friend shown me his and I think it is a must as it gives the Merrill a much nicer look and more important hold and feel.

I bumped into a fellow tog today at Leicester Cathedral who was sporting the snazzy Quattro, we had a chat and he let me fondle his wares....absolutely sublime piece of kit, forget the looks it is by far the best single handed shooter I have ever used which is where he had also fell in love with the camera, he couldn't really say IQ wise which was better out of the Quattro and the Merrill(which he also owned) but it was a given that the Quattro was better to handle..

we are meeting up in a week or 2 for a walkabout and he said bring a spare card so I can use the Quattro and take the images home with me, jolly nice chap.

initial feelings are handling wise I prefer the Quattro hand down, but I wouldn't be paying much more if any over the price of a Merrill.
Look forward to seeing some images from it mate..

I bumped into a fellow tog today at Leicester Cathedral who was sporting the snazzy Quattro, we had a chat and he let me fondle his wares.....

I say steady on - this is a family area :D

Sounds good. Will be interested to hear your thoughts after seeing the images. Steve Huff's review goes on about the OOC jpegs being very good which is not my experience with the Merrill, but then I do prefer to squeeze every ounce of goodness out of the raw files even if the SPP software is a bit of a dinosaur!

what do you gain with the Quattro ... seems an expensive option to me

You would not gain anything but will loose a little sharpness and a few quid out your wallet as they are twice the price of a dp merrill .......keep your Merrills is my advise

You would not gain anything but will loose a little sharpness and a few quid out your wallet as they are twice the price of a dp merrill .......keep your Merrills is my advise

Agreed

buy the 3 Merrills

Well, the Quattro is supposed to be better at high iso which is one area the Merrills are not good at. The file size is also smaller so it should be quicker to process in theory. But in simple resolution terms the Quattro can't compete as I believe it uses interpolation for two of the colour channels.

you but Sigma for IQ ......... that's it ........ will they ever improve the UI and processing ........... I think not

The DPM's are now £320 ...... a bargain if you are happy with the UI and processing

The quattro is twice the price

best quote about quattro IQ, its the gateway to bayerifcation

when i tried it i didnt like the grip, or the look of the files, it is somewhere between merril and bayer

i dont know if u can get cheap generic batteries for it either. but the dp0 has some interest from me, because of the lens

I was looking at the Sigma SD1 as the interchangeable lenses appealed to me and it has the same Foveon sensor as the Dp1/2/3, I see the price has dropped quite a lot from it's recommended £4000 to a reasonable £750 on Amazon.

ive pondered the older SD's and using my old manual m42 lenses etc with it but i dont know how efficient that would be, and it would be a mostly gas purchase :/

I only have the DP2 at the moment and my next purchase is definitely the DP3 then the macro adapter.
I have been told the older SD cameras are still very very good and can be had for very little money £80 onwards.

yeah, but ive got a a77ii, and a bunch of film slrs, and 3 dp's and other camera types in film :)

admitidly a sd1 and 180mm macro would be pretty special :)

I was also told that the SD9 was a Awesome camera MF and as stated can be had for buttons or peanuts whichever you have in your pocket at the time :)

Looks good to me Stu, and I still haven't hit the buy now on the DP3.

Hi David, yes seen it and although very tempted another £70 for a Brand New one with Full warranty and I am waiting to see what Sony fetch out next month A6100.I can say the Sony a6000 with the Sigma 60mm F2.8DN was close to the Sigma DP2 I have hence no rush to buy.

Thanks anyway for the heads up appreciated.

I like the white daffodil shot Peter.

I know it's "just" a daffodil but it has that foveon look that wows you and congrats on FlickR

Back