Silverstone Grand Prix Practice

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking at maybe going to the Friday practice of the British Grand Prix. Only been Silverstone once, but never been to any F1 event.

Do you think it's worth the money (£55) or not?

Andy

For the last couple of years my boss has driven down in his motorhome on the Thursday night. Whichever entrance he goes through (don't know which) he says he normally arrives at the same time as the teams, the stallholders etc and just gets waived in without them checking his tickets (which he does have). just a thought.....

Yes def worth going if you're not doing the race weekend. It's a great atmosphere and unless things change you can walk around a lot more freely on the Friday and even get into some of the stands / terraced areas.

Enjoy it if you decide to go and hope the weather is as good as it was last year for us :)

Does it "start early"? Just wondering whether to stay in a local hotel on the Thursday or just drive up Friday morning.

definately worth the trip. like said before, friday is much easier to move round, and watch from a number of different viewpoints.
its possible to drive there on the day, we did this a couple of years ago, and though it may be an early start, once you hear the noise of the cars, you will wake up easy enough.
I'm looking at getting tickets for sunday at monaco, and in comparison, £55 is a snip!

If you are any sort of motor racing fan you have to go:cool:

I have done the full GP a couple of times and been to Barcelona once ( as a guest of Bridgestone - in the Paddock Club right above the Ferrari garage).

The atmosphere and above all - noise is amazing. Reduced security also means a chance for some half decent shots without press passes!(y)

sorry to intrude but can anyone get tickets to go and take pics? i would love to get some f1 shots.

thanks andrea and andy:)

*edit stupid question removed.*

so what lens (es) would be required for good shots

Last edited:
imustbedreamin said:
thanks andrea:)

so i couldnt gain access like mentioned above without......???

Without paying? Doubt it. Unless you dress up as a member of pit crew. Haha

Anyone can take pics but only from the other side of the barriers, which are very high and some way back from the track.

Luffield was always reasonably close, unfortunately Silverstone like most modern circuits does not encourage it's paying visitors to get close to the action. And they considered Donnington for cripes sake!

I am assuming you would have tele lenses of some sort.

Unlike your part of the world(y) Proper race circuit.

imustbedreamin said:
thanks andrea and andy:)

*edit stupid question removed.*

so what lens (es) would be required for good shots

I tried with an 18-250 last time I went Silverstone and it was just about enough. I'll be taking my 150-500 this time. :)

i would hire any lens required to get good shots. i have a 70-200 but i get the feeling this will be waaayyyy to short.

Last edited:
I used the long end of a 70-200 and a 120-300mm last year and got some shots I'm pleased with, but obviously nothing to compare with the low-down head-on shots the pros can get from their positions. It's well worth going just for the atmosphere and the noise though!

Yes, we can certainly get a heck of a lot closer to the action over here. I wouldn't want to be THAT close to a F1 monster though :LOL:

We are there camping for the 4 days so will be in early Fri/Sat mornings, tickets for the 4 days cost £230 each not sure on Friday price but should be able to book direct with Silverstone

We are there camping for the 4 days so will be in early Fri/Sat mornings, tickets for the 4 days cost £230 each not sure on Friday price but should be able to book direct with Silverstone

£55 direct with Silverstone, but with £6 postage!

Does it "start early"? Just wondering whether to stay in a local hotel on the Thursday or just drive up Friday morning.
If you can find a local hotel this late on, then you'll be doing well.

£55 for official practice day tickets

Friday is a good day to take the camera as the £55 ticket gives you access to the grandstands. Which makes things better for photos as you can look over the top of the catch fencing. The general admission areas are all looking through the mesh.
Good luck. You'll go again. And who knows, I might bump into you at my 51st GP:wacky:

well my ticket is booked, see you there. i'll be the one desperatly trying to look like what im doing:shake:(y)

If you can find a local hotel this late on, then you'll be doing well.

Friday is a good day to take the camera as the £55 ticket gives you access to the grandstands. Which makes things better for photos as you can look over the top of the catch fencing. The general admission areas are all looking through the mesh.
Good luck. You'll go again. And who knows, I might bump into you at my 51st GP:wacky:

51st GP?! Wow, that's mega!
Ticket is booked. £61 well spent I hope!

Back