weekly SimonB 52 for 2023 - Weeks 50, 51 and 52!

It is another trip to the beach, this is a gas rig off the coast of Ainsdale Beach (in the distance ;)) I believe it is an unmanned platform. It was a very hazy day when I took the picture so it required a little bit of tweaking here and there.

Gas Rig
by Simon Brown

Nice one Simon!

Fits the theme perfectly, the colour of the sea compared to where I live is startling.

I came up with an idea for this theme quite quickly but it was then just getting around to actually taking the shot. That is what I did this morning once I had made breakfast. I couldn't quite get the whole shell in focus and I didn't really have the time to get the tripod out or play with the camera settings any further but I think it ticks the box!

Eggs
by Simon Brown

The predictable shot - but very well done. Eggcellent even :)

Works well for the theme, nice shot.

Now you'll have to shell out for some more eggs.

Liquid: Simply a terrific shot. Well thought out and executed.
Distant: The lighting really puts the emphasis on the distant structure.
Fragile: Nicely composed and well on theme.

I like the dof... I don't mind images that aren't pin sharp right the way through. Also a nice play of light and shadow.

Wow, I have neglected this challenge this year! So it looks like I have some catching up to do, seven themes missed!

Here goes my catch-up, starting with Robust and Nearby:

My very robust Henry Hoover, despite my very best efforts of trying (accidentally) to kill it. It just keeps on going and going!

Robust
by Simon Brown

My phone (very old I know) is usually found close by to me most days, yet nearly always on charge. I think the battery needs replacing or maybe I just need to use it less!

Nearby
by Simon Brown

Some really good shots. Would help perhaps if you gave each one the subject title you are responding to.
I understand its Robust and Nearby but could easily be missed.

Last edited:
Good start on the catch-ups - seven behind though! Good Luck.

Henry is a perfect subject for the theme of robust!

A huge update incoming! Funny how life takes over and other things get pushed to one side. I have to say though despite realising that I am 21 themes behind :oops: :$ I have quite enjoyed thinking about what pictures to take and getting back into the swing of things. I hope everyone is keeping well and I'm looking forward to seeing what pictures you have all been taking. Any way without delay here come the pictures!

Week 22 - Irregular

Quite a simple one of the pebbles on my driveway.

Week 22 Irregular
by Simon Brown

Week 23 - Rubbish

I'm sure when most people think of rubbish they think of the bins!

Week 23 Rubbish
by Simon Brown

Week 24 - Sound

I was born with some hearing loss, so this little guy helps me hear the world a bit better. It's nice to take out when it gets too loud or when someone won't be quiet!

Week 24 Sound
by Simon Brown

Week 25 - Snappers

This was taken in the Isle of Man and the weather was unusually good enough to have the roof down. Taken with the drone and PhotoShop used to remove some people and road furniture.

Week 25 Snappers
by Simon Brown

Week 26 - Watching - COMPOSITE

A CCTV camera keeping watch, I edited an eyeball into the lens of the camera with the hope of meeting the technique.

Week 26 Watching
by Simon Brown

Week 27 - Ripped

My jeans have been ripped to shreds with all the DIY I have been doing this year but they still do the job.

Week 27 Ripped
by Simon Brown

Week 28 - Unsightly

Quite enjoy going for the odd walk, but I'll never understand why folk don't take the dog mess away with them. You went through the effort of bagging the damn thing up!

Week 28 Unsightly
by Simon Brown

Week 29 - Pretty

Well, flowers are always pretty, a nice gift to give to the wife every now and then.

Week 29 Pretty
by Simon Brown

Week 30 - Windows

The windows of my old school, after I left it was closed down by the council. I hope I wasn't the reason! I tried to make use of negative space in this shot.

Week 30 Windows by Simon Brown

Week 31 - Abandoned

A once local pub, which has been abandoned by its owners and has been sitting empty for some time now, I hope someone will invest in it soon and make use of the space.

Week 31 Abandoned by Simon Brown

Week 32 - Possessions

My mobile makes an appearance once again with my wallet, they generally don't leave my side.

Week 32 Possessions by Simon Brown

Week 33 - Machine - MACRO

A really fun and quite dangerous machine for me to weld! The close-up shot of the teeth of a chainsaw, I think the narrow depth of field works well for this one.

Week 33 Machine by Simon Brown

Week 34 - Circles

Not a lot of thought went into this picture, but they are still circles!

Week 34 Circles by Simon Brown

Week 35 - Snappers

This is my face when I wake up in the morning for another day of work!

Week 35 Snappers
by Simon Brown

Week 36 - Urban

I think the drone is perfect for this type of picture, it helps capture the theme with all the houses from above. Some tweaking was needed here and there to make the colours right.

Week 36 Urban by Simon Brown

Week 37 - Hollow

A hollow biscuit tin is never good! My wife says I eat too many but I counter-argued that we shouldn't buy very tasty biscuits then!

Week 37 Hollow by Simon Brown

Last edited:
Week 38 - Solid

Nothing like a solid heavy hammer to get the job done!

Week 38 Solid by Simon Brown

Week 39 - Gates - MOTION BLUR

This was my attempt at motion blur on the spur of the moment. I heard the train coming and thought it would work well with the warning signs. I just needed to slow down my shutter speed more. Oh well, maybe next time.

Week 39 Gates by Simon Brown

Week 40 - Memory

I quite often write down a list of jobs to do to help me remember to complete them. Soon I'll have another one to tick off!

Week 40 Memory by Simon Brown

Week 41 - Upright

This is a bit of a cheat as I took this photo a long time ago but I thought it worked well for the theme. Taken with my drone as you can imagine, it always makes me slightly nervous flying over water. The "Crosby men" stand upright on a very very long pole buried in the sand.

Week 41 Upright by Simon Brown

Week 42 - Forgotten

Well in this case not forgotten, a memorial in my village paying tribute to those who have served in the country's wars.

Week 42 Forrgotten by Simon Brown

Last edited:
Good catch up, I got one coming up :)

Goos catch up, really like the Marine Drive drone pic

Thanks, I really enjoy using the drone, it is a nice combination of two hobbies.

Well that's a bit of a catch up then :) Moved off of the wall now !
Liking the gates shot because... Train
The Watching shot could also have worked from spooky. That's quite a disconcerting camera.

Thanks, great to be off the wall!

It was the kick up the bum that I needed. Yeah, the train shot was taken in the spur of the moment, I would have loved the train to be just a little bit more blurred.

Reactions: LC2
Spooky times! My preferred time of the year over Christmas...humbug! :ROFLMAO:

A quick snap of my neighbour's decorations, they had loads of visitors. I was almost tempted to knock and ask for some sweets for me!

Spooky
by Simon Brown

A very happy set of pumpkins. Nicely exposed too.

Thank you!

I'm intrigued. Are they inflatable pumpkins? The way the light shines through indicates that the skin is very thing.
Works well for the theme.

You're right they are inflatable pumpkins, my neighbour also has multiple large inflatable Christmas-themed ones too.

I chose to do a picture of the creatures held captive in my fish tank, these are called red cherry shrimp and they do a great job of keeping algae at bay. There are other fish in the tank but the buggers won't stay still for long enough.

Captive Shrimps
by Simon Brown

Don't think I've ever seen such a mammoth catch up! All perfectly fitting for the themes and good images.

The IOM car shot and the Abandoned building really stand out for me.

The Red Cherry shrimps stand out wonderfully with the green and the black BG sets them off nicely.

The run to the finish should be a breeze for you now!!

Fab Shrimps Simon. Reminds me of our local football team :)

Don't think I've ever seen such a mammoth catch up! All perfectly fitting for the themes and good images.

The IOM car shot and the Abandoned building really stand out for me.

The Red Cherry shrimps stand out wonderfully with the green and the black BG sets them off nicely.

The run to the finish should be a breeze for you now!!

I know! I think the phrase a stitch in time, saves nine works well here!

I quite like the IOM car shot too, tempted to have it printed out and framed.

Fab Shrimps Simon. Reminds me of our local football team :)

Ha excellent

Great shot of the shrimps... they are an amazing colour!

Thanks!

Back