Simon's 52 in 2023

Week 36 Urban and Tech (motion blur)

A slight twisting of the rules this week as I’m on a cruise in the med and doing this on an iPhone is a pain ( I do have my RX100 with me but that’s even more of a faff on a cruise!)

This is an iPhone 13 Pro shot using long exposure to get the motion blur of two buses passing near Corfu's busy port

IMG_4881.jpeg

Last edited:
It's clever that iPhone long exposure thing. Tried it today in town but as it was dull the long exposure was TOO long and the people vanished lol.

This one works.

It's clever that iPhone long exposure thing. Tried it today in town but as it was dull the long exposure was TOO long and the people vanished lol.

This one works.
Cheers Dave. It’s cool as long as you don’t overdo it. I deleted a bunch where the cars disappeared People better esp if walking directly to or away from you rather than side to side. These buses were going very slowly so I think that’s the trick

That has worked well, have an iPhone but not tried long exposure thingy.
Was that hand held?

That has worked well, have an iPhone but not tried long exposure thingy.
Was that hand held?
Yep. Live exposure is neat. You can do loop, bounce and long exposure, but I always forget to turn the damn live off and end up with a load of photos looking like the moving paintings in Harry Potter! (You can make them non live)

Reactions: nog
I'd love to see the machine screws turning. I'd like to imagine they fly round with churning water everywhere , but I expect it's a lot more sedate than that.

Pretty is beautiful, and those concentric circles are the perfect shot for the theme.

I'd love to see the machine screws turning. I'd like to imagine they fly round with churning water everywhere , but I expect it's a lot more sedate than that.

Pretty is beautiful, and those concentric circles are the perfect shot for the theme.
Thanks! I’ve been at the weir twice and haven’t seen them turning yet.
The circles are cool but as I noted, not quite as impactful now they’ve faded so much

Week 37 - Hollow

A late entry for last week as I've just got back from my cruise.

The hollow organ pipes of the organ in Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo, Naples, Italy.

Organ Pipes by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Nice take Simon :)

Your Urban shot fits the bills Simon and the shot of the pipes is lovely.

Week 38 - Solid

Another week where time and inspiration are getting away from me! Everything feels a bit rushed at the moment - just back from a cruise and now packing for a 5 night golf trip to Portugal (ah, the joys of being retired!)

This a ia shot of my Mother in Law's wedding ring, bequeathed to my daughter.

DSCF0954 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Ah yes, I like that... almost a riddle. What is hollow, but also solid? A solid gold ring.

Urban. Nice combination of static and motion.
Hollow. Lovely instrument and nicely captured.
Solid. Nice take on the theme.
Have a great trip!

Week 39 - Gate(s)

I've been away in Portugal since last Thursday on a golf trip so photography has been a bit back of the mind, and I only had my iPhone with me. So as a last minute submission for this week I have the following offerings

This is a church in the old town in Lagos, Portugal, not far from where we were staying. Despite looking very dilapidated, it appears to be an active and open church. I liked the combination of the rusty railings and gates, run down building and bright blue sky (we had wall to wall 30 degree plus heat every day of our trip. Lovely, but a bit hot for golf! :LOL:)

Chuck in Lagos, Portugal by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

The next two are the same(ish) shot from a recovery walk this morning, back in Cardiff. The subject is the gate at the entrance to the old Bishop's Palace in Llandaff. The mono was taken with my RX100vi, and the colour with the iPhone 13 Pro. I had to stand in the road to get this composition, so didn't have too much time to fiddle with settings. The Sky's a bit to blown out for me on the mono, even though I probably prefer that to the colour shot.

Bishop's Palace, Llandaff, RX100vi by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Bishop's Palace Llandaff (iPhone) by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Nice chosen shot. I like the pov... makes it even more imposing.
Thanks Helen. Just stumbled into view. Tricky to get the right angle as the street was so narrow, and full wide angle on the iPhone distorted it a bit, but as it was uphill it helped.

Impressive Simon :)

I like that. it has a very Spanish/Portuguese feel to it. But normally when I see these types of church, they're pristine.

Strange to see one looking so dirty, but I think it adds to the interest.

Cheers Kell. I think it was the dilapidated state that drew me to it as much as anything.

Very impressive Church helped with the POV and that blue sky, quite surprising the site is being neglected like that.

Very impressive Church helped with the POV and that blue sky, quite surprising the site is being neglected like that.
Thanks Keith. Yes, shame to see fantastic buildings in a sorry state.

A good set for Gates, Simon, I think that you chose the right one to submit. I prefer he colour version of the second shot.

The memory shot is a good one as well.

Back