SimonTALM's 52 for 2010 pt 1 - Week 13 Quad added

Well a bit of a crowbar job this week. I went through Present = Gift, Present = Stand up and bore people to death with powerpoint, Present = Here and about 30mins ago I realised it was Sunday and had forgotten all about the theme and so I took this.

Things I learned this week

1) Don't let it get to Sunday without knowing what you are going to do for your shot.
2) A hat always makes a ghostly image look much more eerie
3) Crowbars are very handy ;)

Cor! Very spooky that man!

Really like the angles and sepia tones in this one Simon. And totally agree with all of your 'things I learned'!

Keep them coming! (y)

I like that! The processing is very effective and the lighting / shadows work really well :)
The only thing is that I find the dark areas on the ceiling a tad distracting but otherwise it's great :)

Agree with point 1 aswell: I've been guilty of that too :D

:razz: I just hate people who leave it right up until the last minute; spend a few minutes taking the shot and still manage to come up with something brilliant :p

Really well done. Strong composition, good concept and perfectly executed. The PP tinting is spot on for it too.
Not a thing that I would change with this one :clap:

Well it's a ghostly presentsce so fits perfectly into the theme. Great processing on this from the ghost to the colouration. Clicked through to see bigger but no option to on flickr yet. Will wait patiently (y)

Great idea, and the processing certainly adds to the atmosphere.

Clever take on the theme, Silon - and I like it. (y)

Sunday is about the right time to come up with an idea - you know you're not going to get any more ideas and will run out of time, so you just have to go with it. The pressure's good for us!!! :LOL:

And there's no way I'd have guessed it was last minute if you hadn't said! (y)

Jean

Fantastic shot, Simon - and the processing suits it to a T. :clap::clap: And no crowbar required at all.

It works and works very well indeed, lovely processing too. I'm sure we've seen that stairwell before in another ghostly looking shot :D

Cor! Very spooky that man!

Really like the angles and sepia tones in this one Simon. And totally agree with all of your 'things I learned'!

Keep them coming!

Thank you.

I like that! The processing is very effective and the lighting / shadows work really well
The only thing is that I find the dark areas on the ceiling a tad distracting but otherwise it's great

Agree with point 1 aswell: I've been guilty of that too

Cheers, do you mean the dark area to the top left.

ohh, very atmospheric and spooky.. nicely done.. like the sepia finish!

:)

I just hate people who leave it right up until the last minute; spend a few minutes taking the shot and still manage to come up with something brilliant

Really well done. Strong composition, good concept and perfectly executed. The PP tinting is spot on for it too.
Not a thing that I would change with this one

Sorry about that, and thank you for your kind comment

Well it's a ghostly presentsce so fits perfectly into the theme. Great processing on this from the ghost to the colouration. Clicked through to see bigger but no option to on flickr yet. Will wait patiently

It should link through to the flickr photo page from there you can click on the all sizes option to see it larger

Great idea, and the processing certainly adds to the atmosphere.

Cheers

Clever take on the theme, Silon - and I like it.

Sunday is about the right time to come up with an idea - you know you're not going to get any more ideas and will run out of time, so you just have to go with it. The pressure's good for us!!! :LOL:

And there's no way I'd have guessed it was last minute if you hadn't said!

Jean

Thank you

Fantastic shot, Simon - and the processing suits it to a T. And no crowbar required at all.

Thanks, even though I still think it's a crowbar job :LOL:

It works and works very well indeed, lovely processing too. I'm sure we've seen that stairwell before in another ghostly looking shot

Well spotted, the staircase was used last year for "UP", no ghostly additions *** in that one

This week I resorted to going to where the people were. As I left it until Sunday I thought to my self religion - the modern religion of shopping so I went up the road to the dreadful place called the Trafford Centre. To avoid all the hassle of being told to not take photographs I took my little camera and pretended to be a tourist

Things I've learned this week

1) The Trafford centre doesn't open fully until 12:00 on a Sunday so turning up at 11:00 means sitting around waiting for a long time.
2) Using a small camera even one with some form of shutter priority just isn't the same.
3) People never wander where you want them to be in a photo. I would have loved there to be a few more people in the top right section of the image (this feels a little unbalanced to me)

1) The Trafford centre doesn't open fully until 12:00 on a Sunday so turning up at 11:00 means sitting around waiting for a long time.
QUOTE]

:D I've done that same mistake before and it's not nice!!

Really like the angle you have taken this image from and given you shot it with a P&S, the result is not bad at all. Definitely says 'people' to me.

To avoid all the hassle of being told to not take photographs I took my little camera and pretended to be a tourist

Top marks for getting away with using that!

I like that shot. Not sure about the green tint though. :)

you're brave.. the TC on a sunday?!

like how the floor pattern frames the people, nice blur and I kinda like the tone of it.. :)

I quite like this shot Simon. I especially like the way the elevator is feeding people down into the circle. Would have worked better if there was a gaping maw painted on the floor, but you can't have everything.

Like Lee, I'm not too sure about the green tint either. Was there a reason for it?

Ian.

The present shot is a cracker, very spooky.

How did it feel using a small camera and trying to be a tourist in the TC :LOL:. The general public never behave how we want them to. ;) The floor patern makes for a very interesting shot.

(y)

The composition works well Simon. I have to agree with the green tint though. It's on theme

bloody people, they really should learn to go where they are wanted for a shot. :LOL:

I like your thinking on this and the location is good, but I think you could have stood there all day and never got the exact shot that was right. I agree this one feels marginally unbalanced, but my aim would have been to have people only on the escalator and within the 'sun', to see how that worked. Covering the bods right at the bottom of frame already makes it 'feel' better, if that makes sense? (y)

Well done for getting out that early on a Sunday!:)

I like the composition (and really empathise with learning point 2 and 3) and I'm in 2 minds about the green tint - in one mind I think the green reflects the unreality of such places, and the other mind wants to know what colour the patterning on the floor is. :D

So overall - a good Sunday take on the theme, Simon. :)

Jean

OK I know it's a few days late, but the main thing is it's here.

This (for those that might wonder) is the inside of a precision bearing.

Things I learned this week:

1) Leaving it late doesn't mean you have to give up
2) Mechanical items are difficult to find in this modern world
3) Bearings come in different flavours

Nice lighting, curves and shapes. Looks good despite the fact I still have no idea what it is. Nicely done :clap:

That works really well Simon... Good details and well lit. Had you not said what it was, I'd never have guessed.

i'm still no wiser even knowing what it is ;)

like the curves and lighting.. nicely focused love the bit of 'bokeh' up at the top

I do like that. I would never have known what that was! I like close-up shots like this, I think the DOF works well and the lighting's good too :)

The "sun circle" on the floor really makes that people shot for me (y)
Love the angle, love the composition, but in an ideal world I'd like to see just a bit more motion blur on the people. I guess that's one of the limitations of using a compact though and it certainly works just as it is for me.

Mechanical : Lovely macro shot, even though I don't fully understand what it is.
I like the curve in the composition, the DoF is effective and there's some lovely sharp detail.

OK for those that are still confused a Bearing is a mechanical device that helps heavy things move smoothly, usually in a circle.

Nice lighting, curves and shapes. Looks good despite the fact I still have no idea what it is. Nicely done

That works really well Simon... Good details and well lit. Had you not said what it was, I'd never have guessed.

Cheers, I do like close ups sometimes

i'm still no wiser even knowing what it is

like the curves and lighting.. nicely focused love the bit of 'bokeh' up at the top

:D

that's a nice shot simon, i agree it can be difficult to find a truly mechanical object these days

I would have shot one of my fully mechanical one armed bandits but I shot them last year.

I do like that. I would never have known what that was! I like close-up shots like this, I think the DOF works well and the lighting's good too

Thank you :)

The "sun circle" on the floor really makes that people shot for me
Love the angle, love the composition, but in an ideal world I'd like to see just a bit more motion blur on the people. I guess that's one of the limitations of using a compact though and it certainly works just as it is for me.

Mechanical : Lovely macro shot, even though I don't fully understand what it is.
I like the curve in the composition, the DoF is effective and there's some lovely sharp detail.

Cheers

I like the shapes in your mechanical shot

Thanks

:)

OK a bit of a cheat this week, but as I was waiting for my new battery to charge I figured out all I wanted to do was play...

Things I learned this week

1) I get just like a small kid at Christmas when new toys arrive :)
2) I get very frustrated when I'm waiting for batteries to charge
3) D3S's don't have screen protectors in the box (unlike the D300, D700 :shrug:)

Mechanical: Well, you live and learn on the 52 - I had no idea what a precision bearing is, but they do make good photos. I love the composition and dof on this, Simon. The pp suits it, too.

Play: Do you by any chance have a new camera to play with? :D T
here are hours and hours of playtime in that shot, and I'm not in the least, tiniest bit jealous - honest. :( Enjoy. (y)

Jean

Bring on the posts of jealousy :D All that gold is making me drool :notworthy:

Play has thrown up all sorts of nice shots and this shot just shows that photos don't have to be complicated, just plain and simple (not the camera though ) Love it.

I think the trouble I am having with the 52 week challenge is that I am just trying to think of the un-thinkable :bang: and not the obvious:shrug:

New camera eh? I'm expecting great things from week 10!

Congratulations on your new toy!

Ian.

Back