SimonTALM's 52 for 2010 pt 1 - Week 13 Quad added

SimonTALM

Linford Christie
Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I had my idea for this week when I thought about spoons and their curved surface, I wondered how I could get a spoon more curved Uri Geller but a photo of a bent spoon I thought would be quite dull and my thought process went to a fork with all the tangs curved.

And this is the result

I think if I was to title this image I'd call it "Forked" ;)

So what did I learn this week? Well a few things
1) I forgot what fun :cautious: it was doing the 52s
2) Bending fork tangs isn't easy (obviously my mental powers aren't quite as honed as Mr Geller's). I found that a blow torch and pliers work nicely to soften the metal and then apply the required curve. TBH forget about bending fork tangs unless you have a blow torch.
3) Metal that has been heated and bent looses much of it's finish and no longer looks nice so needs polishing to get it looking metal again and photographable and that takes time especially where you don't have a flat surface.
4) Choosing 2 colours for split toning isn't easy, many combinations just look completely wrong, getting it looking vaguely right is just a nightmare.

Let me know what you guys think :)

Last edited:
Medusa springs to mind with that shot Simon. Thats a lot of time and effort but well worth it.

(y)

I like the light on the tangs, and the pinky colour. Nice start! :)

An image that is well worth the effort expended.

Excellent work! The effort involved sounded like a bit of a nightmare! Result is very interesting though, great idea wel executed (y)

I love it, all the effort paid off I think :)

The colours are great too (y)

Excellent - like the way 2 of the tines point at each other, a bit corkscrew-like. Nicely done.

A lot of effort and a very unique and interesting shot. Good lighting and use of dof and the processing suits. Disappointed the bottom half is a little dull (i.e. not shiny), but no doubt the poor old fork had been torched to death by then.

I hope you have some forks left and didn't spend all day experimenting on them all. Hammer out now to straighten it out again :)

Great shot, I can only imagine the grief I would get from SWMBO if I did this to one of our forks. Also think this would maybe look better in B&W and toned IMHO.

very imaginative.. how many forks were sacrificed to get the shot? ;)

like the colour used!

That's just brilliant! definatly following you! :D

Vi x

I agree with foggy's comment - very medusa-like!
Love it, and I think the colours work well. :)

I really like this Simon - and you obviously put a lot of effort into it (y) It reminds me of Dali's melting clocks.
Your perseverance with the split toning paid off too - I love the pink tone in the highlights.

Part of me almost wants to see a string of spaghetti or noodle hanging off the fork, but I think that might be just a bit too much :thinking:

Last edited:
Blimey - that sounds like hard work! It's resulted in a great shot, though :clap::clap:.

You should blow this up and put in on your wall, though not where it might give you nightmares!

SSS...
Super Shot Simon

Cheers

Medusa springs to mind with that shot Simon. Thats a lot of time and effort but well worth it.

I hadn't made that link but now you've said it I can see what you mean

The first thing I thought of was Uri Geller then I read your post.
A great shot like the lighting
kim

Lighting was just SB900 sat on top of the D700 but with a bit of tilt applied and a bounce card out.

I like the light on the tangs, and the pinky colour. Nice start!

It took ages to pick the colour that works, so thank you

An image that is well worth the effort expended.

Thank you

Excellent work! The effort involved sounded like a bit of a nightmare! Result is very interesting though, great idea wel executed

Not too much of a nightmare, just the dedication I tend to show to the art ;)

Great shot - Very creative

Cheers

I love it, all the effort paid off I think

The colours are great too

I appreciate the comment

Excellent - like the way 2 of the tines point at each other, a bit corkscrew-like. Nicely done.

That's the bit I like least of the image, it's amazing how each person is different

A lot of effort and a very unique and interesting shot. Good lighting and use of dof and the processing suits. Disappointed the bottom half is a little dull (i.e. not shiny), but no doubt the poor old fork had been torched to death by then.

I hope you have some forks left and didn't spend all day experimenting on them all. Hammer out now to straighten it out again

1 shot deal, no other forks were harmed in the taking of this photograph.

Great shot, I can only imagine the grief I would get from SWMBO if I did this to one of our forks. Also think this would maybe look better in B&W and toned IMHO.

err, it is B&W and duo toned :LOL:, as for the fork well it's not mine (nuff said)

very imaginative.. how many forks were sacrificed to get the shot?

like the colour used!

Only this fork suffered for the sake of art

cool idea, i like it

Thank you

Great shot - fantastic spaghetti fork

Hmm, hadn't thought of spaghetti

Looks like a lot of work went in to this, good shot

Cheers,

That's just brilliant! definatly following you!

Vi x

Thank you

smashing shot m8, very creative & i like the lighting..

So do I, I think simple lighting tends to be better

great shot, nice abstract idea and forked up!

Describes me perfectly :LOL:

I agree with foggy's comment - very medusa-like!
Love it, and I think the colours work well.

Cheers, the colours were probably the toughest part of the whole exercise

I really like this Simon - and you obviously put a lot of effort into it. It reminds me of Dali's melting clocks.
Your perseverance with the split toning paid off too - I love the pink tone in the highlights.

Part of me almost wants to see a string of spaghetti or noodle hanging off the fork, but I think that might be just a bit too much

Dali, hadn't thought of that but it does have a kind of surreal tone to the image doesn't it, good spot.

I like the idea of the spaghetti and I may well try that at some point.

Blimey - that sounds like hard work! It's resulted in a great shot, though

You should blow this up and put in on your wall, though not where it might give you nightmares!

Thank you, not sure it's quite wall quality myself but the suggestion is really appreciated

Wow, Simon. A great start to 2010. It sounds as though you had loads of fun with very creative results. I like - very much. (y)

Jean

You posted this as I was typing my mega thank you thread and I didn't want to leave you out.

I'm a man and so using a blowtorch and heating metal up to glowing then bending it really satisfies one of the manly primal urges, so yes I had loads of fun :D

Ops, sorry Simon that will teach me not to read you original post properly and to also read the 52 threads on an iPhone.

Never would have guessed it was toned B&W unless you had said, good job!

Also, wow I love the subject, looks like it's still moving.

Gotta say I wouldn't fancy trying to eat with it though (did you try? hehe)

Fantasticly bendy start simon! Very original! I especially like the imaginative lighting too.

Good luck with your 52! (y)

Very good Simon, a lot of time and effort has obviously gone into the creation of the fork, but it sounds kinda fun all the same. Plenty of curves there, and lighting has worked really well, as has the processing.

Glad to see you posting pics in the 52 again and joining in with the fun, given what you put us all through last year :LOL:

Welcome back Simon :wave:

And now you'll feel our pain too :naughty:

Although with a shot like that I wish you hadn't bothered cos I'm starting 2010 feeling very insecure with what I've seen so far :(

Cracking shot and so creative and the fork is definitely f***ked :LOL:

Welcome back Simon :) Great idea well executed! The lighting you've used adds some zing to it too! Good start :)

Ops, sorry Simon that will teach me not to read you original post properly and to also read the 52 threads on an iPhone.

That's fine, easy to do (y)

Never would have guessed it was toned B&W unless you had said, good job!

Also, wow I love the subject, looks like it's still moving.

Gotta say I wouldn't fancy trying to eat with it though (did you try? hehe)

No I didn't try, I think I would have done my self a bit of damage.

Fantastic. That is one cool image!!

Thank you

Fantasticly bendy start simon! Very original! I especially like the imaginative lighting too.

Good luck with your 52!

I'd love to say I spent ages over the lighting but I didn't just Dedicated flash on the top of the camera with a bit of bounce. I think you are just seeing the effects of the post processing, however, I am sure that the same effect could be done with lighting (and probably look much better too). But thank you for the kind comment.

Very good Simon, a lot of time and effort has obviously gone into the creation of the fork, but it sounds kinda fun all the same. Plenty of curves there, and lighting has worked really well, as has the processing.

Glad to see you posting pics in the 52 again and joining in with the fun, given what you put us all through last year

I didn't put anyone through anything last year, eveyone voluntarily took part and the themes were drawn at random, I don't take any credit or blame for what is drawn :LOL:.

Welcome back Simon

And now you'll feel our pain too

Although with a shot like that I wish you hadn't bothered cos I'm starting 2010 feeling very insecure with what I've seen so far

Cracking shot and so creative and the fork is definitely f***ked :LOL:

:wave: I'm glad to be back. New Year, New Decade so I thought I'd give it another go.

Hey I really like this shot, I love the colours coming off of it! Very orriginal idea and worked out great, you must be very proud of this!

I'm modestly pleased with it. I'm quite convinced that I could do much better with some more time on the photo setup (it only took about 3 mins to photograph)

Welcome back Simon Great idea well executed! The lighting you've used adds some zing to it too! Good start

That will be the PP not the lighting. However, thank you, I agree it does look quite good :D

Really like the depth of field Simon, also the duo tone, the pink tones really set this off.

That pink was a tough colour to pick, I tried many other colours before I settled on that. I knew I didn't want everything in focus nor for it to very shallow so it was quite a difficult compromise. Although in hind sight I should have got the tripod out and tried a few different apertures to see what looked best (I was being a bit lazy on this one ;)).

:LOL: I am amused you spent some time attacking a fork with a blow torch and making pretty patterns then couldn't be bothered getting the tripod out. That sounds just like the sort of thing I would do.

However, despite that, the result is very pleasing and certainly fulfils the theme very well. :clap:

Very creative Simon I really like the train of thought and the effort you have put in :clap:

Foggy has definately got a point - very Medusa!

I need to find the forethought to produce great results such as this - well worth sacrificing a fork or two ;)

DB

:LOL: I am amused you spent some time attacking a fork with a blow torch and making pretty patterns then couldn't be bothered getting the tripod out. That sounds just like the sort of thing I would do.

However, despite that, the result is very pleasing and certainly fulfils the theme very well.

:LOL: I hadn't thought of it that way I suppose that should tell me something, I've just got to figure out what - probably that I'm bored of Photography and should move to a talk|Sculpture forum ;).

Very creative Simon I really like the train of thought and the effort you have put in.

Cheers John :)

Foggy has definately got a point - very Medusa!

I need to find the forethought to produce great results such as this - well worth sacrificing a fork or two

DB

Thank you, I find that along with forethought a slightly warped mind helps :D

Back