Sky Arts ~ Masters of Photography

I don't check the sky channels very often, thanks for the heads up.

Is that a year since the last already?

Interesting, and thanks. But since I've never had a telly (I know, it's not mainstream behaviour), and find anything tainted by connection with the Murdoch empire odious, it's unlikely that I'll be a bum on a seat for this performance.

I'm not a Luddite - I have digital equipment. It's a cultural matter (and a political one).

Last edited:
The last series was an interesting program to see the process and thoughts behind the tasks set to the photographers. It certainly deserved to be on an arts programme. I hope this year they improve the website and put more of the final image submissions on it
http://masterofphotography.tv/

I'm not a Luddite - I have digital equipment. It's a cultural matter (and a political one).
For their final challenge, the contestants were given a manual Leica SLR with 3 rolls of black and white and (as I recall) a 50mm lens.

I quite enjoyed the first series, they mentioned but didn't dwell on equipment choices and it didn't descend into a photography advert for a particular brand (they used Leica throughout but anyone watching who didn't know equipment wouldn't particularly know that). Definitely focused on the images and the thought process.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That's his credability out of the window. Hopefully, they'll send him packing and give someone else a chance to shine although it might be too late now. They may well already have filming in the can.
It is... but they are aware of the situation... http://masterofphotography.tv/photographers/souvid-datta/

Since filming on Master of Photography was completed, Souvid Datta has admitted in an interview with Time that he dishonestly doctored and appropriated images in the past. Souvid was selected to take part in our programme on the basis of a portfolio of work he submitted as his own in October 2016, and our producers are satisfied that these works were original.

However, Master of Photography is a celebration of originality and authenticity in photography, and Souvid’s behaviour is in total opposition the values that the programme seeks to promote. Whilst filming on the series is now complete we are currently looking at how we reflect this matter on the programme.​

Last edited:
I think the correct three shots got the accolades, but personally thought the empty nativity stable shot was the worst of the bunch tonight.

I also thought that some of the shots looked far worse once the post processing was done. It looked a little heavy handed in the shot of the chap in front of the church, and in the street portrait picture.

No Isabella Rosselini this year either, which seems to have lowered the pretentiousness a tad. No offence to Ms Rosselini, but the way she used to appear behind that transparent image mount while the judges deliberated last series was somewhat cringeworthy.

Last edited:
Thanks. How about leaving it more that 30 seconds before you start posting bloody spoilers!

Just wait until the series is within 13 days of ending, Sign up for a 14 day free trial of now TV, catch up on all the episodes and watch the last one when available.
Argos is flogging the Now TV box for £20 at the moment, with a 6 month entertainment pass including Sky Arts (not to mention Twin Peaks and Game of Thrones) thrown in: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4590602 Afterwards the box is still useful for catchup stuff like iPlayer and the ITV/C4/5 equivalents without a subscription.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the first episode although I wasn't overly impressed with some of the photography. I thought the photo of the street (girl in foreground) was excellent.
I like the new format as in no presenter as she added nothing at all to the first series.
Looking forward to the next instalments.[emoji106]

Andy

The first episode did suggest they have picked up on some of the weaker aspects or the first series, and improved on them.

The initial brief seemed better then the first series; rather than just 'a travel shot of scilly' they elaborated on what they were after.
The critique seemed better, but that may have just been editing - some shots were handled very briefly, while others had useful suggestions.
The two they judged as weakest matched my impressions, and the one of them that did't get sent home should consider themselves very lucky to be progressing!

It's a pity they didn't lose the Leicas though, let the contestants use cameras that ordinary people can afford.

It's a pity they didn't lose the Leicas though, let the contestants use cameras that ordinary people can afford.
They've got to be sponsored by someone.
To be honest, they're not exactly gaining an advantage by using overpriced man jewellery.
If anything they're at a disadvantage, the lens choice and other peripherals are miles behind both Nikon and Canon and not even up to the standards of Oly, Pentax, Fuji etc.

And that's instead of banging the drum of 'it's not about the camera, it's about the picture'.

I find it hard to believe any 'photographer' is looking at those images and thinking they could shoot the same if they had the same gear.

Why do you think that?
To reinforce that it's about the photographers skill, not the equipment, there is a misconception that expensive gear makes great photos. Give the contestants entry level kit, this may inspire people and maybe some youngsters to give photography a go.

To reinforce that it's about the photographers skill, not the equipment, there is a misconception that expensive gear makes great photos. Give the contestants entry level kit, this may inspire people and maybe some youngsters to give photography a go.
Look at the specs of the kit they're using.
It's offering them nothing that you wouldn't get from entry level kit.

It's a common misconception amongst newbies that 'pro' kit makes things easier. It's actually the opposite, pro level kit doesn't offer all the 'helpful' modes that entry level kit does. So a newbie might do better with entry level kit, but a pro wouldn't necessarily do worse.

I quite enjoyed it. I think there's one or two personalities there that may grate on me a little through more episodes, but thought it was off to a good start.

Look at the specs of the kit they're using.
It's offering them nothing that you wouldn't get from entry level kit.

It's a common misconception amongst newbies that 'pro' kit makes things easier. It's actually the opposite, pro level kit doesn't offer all the 'helpful' modes that entry level kit does. So a newbie might do better with entry level kit, but a pro wouldn't necessarily do worse.

What it does do, to a limited extent, is provide a 'level playing field'.

If we assume that none of the contestants regularly shoots Leica themselves, then they are all in the same situation - they have decent quality, but unfamiliar, gear.

Re: 'Pro' gear making things easier
While the array of buttons and dials on higher end gear might be confusing for a 'newbie', for a more experienced photographer I would argue they do make things easier
- that's the whole point of putting them there.
If you know you want to change the ISO, for example, it's easier to press an 'ISO' button than go into menus to find the setting - once familiar with a given camera you can make the change while the camera is to your eye as your fingers 'learn' where the button is.

Can you make the same change on a camera without a dedicated button - of course, but it takes longer, so you might miss the shot, or even not bother to try and take the shot at all (if it's just too much effort!).

What it does do, to a limited extent, is provide a 'level playing field'.

If we assume that none of the contestants regularly shoots Leica themselves, then they are all in the same situation - they have decent quality, but unfamiliar, gear.

Re: 'Pro' gear making things easier
While the array of buttons and dials on higher end gear might be confusing for a 'newbie', for a more experienced photographer I would argue they do make things easier
- that's the whole point of putting them there.
If you know you want to change the ISO, for example, it's easier to press an 'ISO' button than go into menus to find the setting - once familiar with a given camera you can make the change while the camera is to your eye as your fingers 'learn' where the button is.

Can you make the same change on a camera without a dedicated button - of course, but it takes longer, so you might miss the shot, or even not bother to try and take the shot at all (if it's just too much effort!).
My point being that with an 'entry level camera' the user may never want or need to change the ISO or even know what that means. Hence the camera is 'easier' to use. :)

What part of sponsorship are you failing to understand?

My point being that with an 'entry level camera' the user may never want or need to change the ISO or even know what that means. Hence the camera is 'easier' to use. :)

Yes, I understand that, and agree.

My point is that 12 months later, when they do understand ISO, etc, and no longer want or need the range of helper modes the entry level camera offers, then a camera with a greater range of buttons to directly access settings may be 'easier' for them.:)

Got it taped, not had a chance to watch it yet. How did Souvid Datta get on. Please tell me he was looking over at the next contestants work like schoolchildren in exams :D

Well, I have just watched the recording of it. I thought it was interesting. Regarding the kit, I don't think it unreasonable for Leica to sponsor and expect their cameras to be used. I would imagine between some of the amateurs and professionals on the show, that there would be a discrepancy in kit anyway so, as has already been pointed out, they are all in the same boat. I found the critique that the guest did give was interested - edited here as a post came in from someone who hadn't seen the show and I had posted a spoiler - I also found it interesting to watch how they went about getting their shot. It seems that those who engaged with their subjects did better - perhaps no surprise there then!

Looking forward to the next episode.

Last edited:
Got it taped, not had a chance to watch it yet. How did Souvid Datta get on. Please tell me he was looking over at the next contestants work like schoolchildren in exams :D

They actually had a scene where the contestants were encouraged to view each others work once they got back to the studio.

Funny we still use floppy disk icons to save stuff - how many people born since the mid 90s have ever used them?

Back