So what film camera/bit of kit have you been obsessing about today?

Well you have the ETRs and say your shots will be mainly for web use:-
A low scan ETRs shot about 1771 X 1316 (reduced to 1000 X 763) by filmdev and a crop about 500 X 450 (of the original 1771 X1316 scan) before serious pixel breakup...imagine a high scan result and wouldn't the ETRs be good enough for web use.

R2-04572-0001-500px.JPG

Last edited:
I've currently got a Bronica ETRSi which I think is a fine camera, if I was going to 6x6 (non-TLR) I would want to try a different manufacturer and think it would have to be the 500CM.

Maybe I should find a shop for some hands-on time with one....

Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Hmmm... I wonder what @Carl Hall thinks about this?

The 500cm is a fine camera, don't get me wrong, but it's well over priced IMO. It's given me a lot of great photos but owning it has been far from a smooth ride. It's like owning a classic sports car in a way- it costs more to buy, goes wrong more often, and is expensive to buy parts for (i.e lenses and accessories), but if you can put the time and money in with it then you'll have a decent camera from a well regarded brand with a lot of history, that takes great photos and will be as much fun to look at as it is to use.

I have both an ETRS and a 500cm, and I pick the ETRS up over the Hassie every time because it's easier to use, has a much brighter screen and doesn't have mood swings like the Hassie. I've not used an SQ-A myself, but from what I've read and my experiences with the lovely ETRS, I would buy one over the 500cm.

Another way to look at it-

500cm - £200-400 for body, £80-120 for film back, and £300 for an 80mm lens. ~£700 or so. Oh, and an extra £150 or more if you want to upgrade the dim standard screen
SQ-A - £80 for body, £40 for film back, and £130 for a lens. ~£350.

Carl's right, I managed to get my 500C/M for a decent price because the seller (ebay) described it as being his late father-in-law's kit and he didn't know when it'd last been serviced. I took a punt and ended up being the only bidder. Guess the other watchers were put off by the thought of a big servicing bill but there was nothing wrong with the camera, it'd been looked after properly.

I found a couple of other lenses for reasonable money by setting a limit and not exceeding it; sooner or later something will come up and then it becomes a question of timing. If I remember correctly, one of my lenses was being sold by a chap in Ireland and there wasn't much bidding partly because most folk seemed to be put off by the non-UK address. This was a few years ago now though, I'm not sure if I'd get that lucky again.

The 40mm pancake lens for Pentax K-mount cameras. It's so thin! I read an article praising it a couple of weeks ago, prices on eBay were reasonable then... I should have jumped on it, they're all up around the £80-100 mark now. Too much for a whim!

The 40mm pancake lens for Pentax K-mount cameras. It's so thin! I read an article praising it a couple of weeks ago, prices on eBay were reasonable then... I should have jumped on it, they're all up around the £80-100 mark now. Too much for a whim!

I'd probably also like one... but then I'd almost certainly never use it! Small sounds like a great benefit, but actually everything is too close together. You have to set the aperture and focus with these two tiny rings that of course you can't see because it's the other side of the camera. :(

Snip:
But then I look at my main digital gear (Fuji X-Pro1) and realised that I've hardly used it - fewer than 5k clicks in the last 3 years, I think.

Don't get me wrong, although I love using film cameras to recapture that 'old fashioned' photography experience I grew up with; if I go away or out for the day and want to take some photos as a record of the day (rather than wanting to do some 'photography') then the digi SLR goes with me, particularly if the weather is flat or it's an evening type event. I treated myself to a Canon 6D a couple of years ago and I find it takes lovely looking photos, even in more difficult light, so I wouldn't want to be without the convenience, sure-footedness, and low-light ability that thing has got. It's a case of having my old film cameras as a photography hobby, with the digi SLR there for when I want/need to produce the goods 'no matter what'.

I think Carl Hall's analogy above is quite a good one; owning old film cameras is a bit like owning a classic sports car! Get the right sunny day and you can have some fantastic fun and enjoyment, but when the weather turns bad and you need to arrive at your destination safely and on time, you'd probably want to travel in a warm, dry, reliable, comfortable modern vehicle instead. So perhaps think twice and long and hard before you ditch your digital gear and go totally silver halide! (y)

So perhaps think twice and long and hard before you ditch your digital gear and go totally silver halide! (y)
I'm not thinking of going fully film, only to sell a digital system I hardly use for something I'll hopefully make better use of. I'm going to do some comparisons between my D70 and XP1 for gear photos tomorrow, as long as the images show all the blemishes it's not like I need the latest and greatest kit for that. I'm seriously considering selling the XZ too, which has had even less use than the systems, and getting an X100S or T for my walkabout digital needs, those days when I don't want the faff of reloading film after taking 36 photos.

I bought into the XP system in part because of the easy availability of legacy lens adapters and though I bought a number of lenses and adapters, I've hardly touched them since. I don't have a pressing reason to hold on to a system like that and as I have an F100 and a D70, it makes more sense to build my 'enthusiast' system around those, making sure that this time I get what I really want rather than whatever's shiny and available! :)

Just keep something, but don't use it, s'what I do...lol
I keep it, its useful for ebay pics, that's it, I know I'll never use it for anything that matters, its just a necessary evil......like, insurance you never use..:)

Apart from my iPhone, I'm fully film now. I bought a Fuji X-E1 but never used it, and needed the cash, so it got sold. Luckily the iPhone is pretty capable, even an "older" model like the 6.

A nice combo if I ever went digi would be the full frame A7-II for general use (esp for quick low light shots) and testing old lenses, plus my RB67 and ETRS for the enjoyment of using film. But then I used my son's Canon 400D for about a week and found it boring and didn't like looking through the crappy viewfinder.
Anyway after using a film camera since about 1950 I can't see me changing unless ordinary good film goes up to over £5 per roll, but I might change my mind if it was £7 per roll if the alternative is a very good digi camera kit costing £700-£1000 :eek:

Let me know what Minolta Dave says about upgrades anyway (y)
Minolta Dave replied today to inform me that, "I am very sorry but you will need a software upgrade on the Dynax 9 and we do not have the required software".

I'd asked if the serial number thing was correct but that line is the whole of his reply. I guess it'd be immaterial if a camera had the board because he couldn't do the software anyway.

I've been browsing Fuji Instax cameras today on the evil 'Bay - I'm off to a festival of sorts in May, and thinking of offering people a shot of themselves as I wander about. It seems to be the cheapest way to do instant photos - the Polaroid Zink cameras/printer looks a bit pony, and the older Polaroid cameras, while the hardware is cheap, the film isn't. Anyone have any recommendations?

Minolta Dave replied today to inform me that, "I am very sorry but you will need a software upgrade on the Dynax 9 and we do not have the required software".

I'd asked if the serial number thing was correct but that line is the whole of his reply. I guess it'd be immaterial if a camera had the board because he couldn't do the software anyway.

He tends to prefer to answer over the phone really.

Hopefully I should get a fully working Hi-Matic back tomorrow. It's been converted for 1.5v batteries and apparently the aperture system was bosted so lucky I sent it to him. He did the light seals too.

I've been browsing Fuji Instax cameras today on the evil 'Bay - I'm off to a festival of sorts in May, and thinking of offering people a shot of themselves as I wander about. It seems to be the cheapest way to do instant photos - the Polaroid Zink cameras/printer looks a bit pony, and the older Polaroid cameras, while the hardware is cheap, the film isn't. Anyone have any recommendations?

All of the Instax cameras are essentially the same internals/lenses so you're main decision is between Mini or Wide. The Mini bodies are much more compact that the wide ones and look a little less bulky! One benefit of using Mini is that Fuji have now released B&W Instax film. I've got a box of it on my desk ready to shoot in my InsTLR once I'm happy with the lens alignment.

The new Leica Sofort Instax is just a Fuji Mini Neo 90 with a new skin so unless you need a red dot, save a few hundred £ and buy the Fuji. The Neo 90 is probably the best looking Instax camera (personally) but is also the most expensive. I've seen them go on Gumtree for <£50 but the majority will be around £90. Other Instax bodies are generally £20-£50 second hand.

All of the Instax cameras are essentially the same internals/lenses so you're main decision is between Mini or Wide. The Mini bodies are much more compact that the wide ones and look a little less bulky! One benefit of using Mini is that Fuji have now released B&W Instax film. I've got a box of it on my desk ready to shoot in my InsTLR once I'm happy with the lens alignment.

The new Leica Sofort Instax is just a Fuji Mini Neo 90 with a new skin so unless you need a red dot, save a few hundred £ and buy the Fuji. The Neo 90 is probably the best looking Instax camera (personally) but is also the most expensive. I've seen them go on Gumtree for <£50 but the majority will be around £90. Other Instax bodies are generally £20-£50 second hand.

I bought an instax mini for my daughter at Xmas

Safe to say I've used it more than she has. Also used the mono film too

IMG_1487768086.620362.jpg

@stevelmx5 The Mini 90s seem to be the most popular second-hand - once payday comes around I think I'll pick one of those up! The b/w film looks interesting too, but I imagine for a festival I'll go with colour. Well.... maybe just one pack of b/w too. For testing purposes...

Playing with my D70 and two Yongnuo 560-II flashes last night. Unfortunately it seems the battery in my radio flash trigger is kaput so I had to use the on-board flash to trigger the remotes, which meant that I was limited to 1/500s shutter speed. :(

Still, I was pleased with the results. This was 1/180s at f/8, flashes positioned either side of a light tent. :)

Minolta Hi-Matic 7s
by Strappy, on Flickr

I bought a Mini 90 for use at Christmas. It was a massive hit, really good fun. Not used it since. Grandsons Birthday soon..

I've been looking into building a 35mm film cutter to make my own 9.2mm film after seeing a Minox spy camera locally. Hmmm, it looks cool but do I really need to give myself the headache of 9.2mm film!

Save yourself the time and effort of design and building a film cutter by using a pair of scissors in a changing bag, Steve. (y)

You didn't want all those fingers, did you?

Dusted off my Fed 2 and Zorki 3m the other day and I think they could do with a good service. Now my dilemma is do I service them or do I give in to temptation and begin looking for something a bit nicer like a Canon 7(s) or a newer Voigtlander Bessa R (1, 2 or 3). I certainly don't need a rangefinder alongside my other kit but I can't help but want one to play with. The Russians are good fun and quirky but I'm feeling like an old fart an would appreciate a brighter viewfinder and more contrasty rangefinder patch.

Otherwise I've spotted a couple of Bronica Sq-A for sale at bargain prices and they're calling to me. I was looking for a 6x6 when I bought my ETRSI.

There's a lovely Zorki 4 in the classifieds right now, @mdjchat ... just saying ... :whistle:

ETA: ... and it's taken me 20 minutes to notice that you won't have access to them yet ... :facepalm:

Last edited:
Haha yes I'm still not able to view the classifieds. I appreciate the heads up though. Not sure that another squinty rangefinder is the solution either.

Dusted off my Fed 2 and Zorki 3m the other day and I think they could do with a good service. Now my dilemma is do I service them or do I give in to temptation and begin looking for something a bit nicer like a Canon 7(s) or a newer Voigtlander Bessa R (1, 2 or 3). I certainly don't need a rangefinder alongside my other kit but I can't help but want one to play with. The Russians are good fun and quirky but I'm feeling like an old fart an would appreciate a brighter viewfinder and more contrasty rangefinder patch.

Otherwise I've spotted a couple of Bronica Sq-A for sale at bargain prices and they're calling to me. I was looking for a 6x6 when I bought my ETRSI.

Voigtlander, all day and every day. :D

Lately, I find myself constantly thinking about a Pentacon Six TL, I already have two 6x6 TLR cameras, so the format is more than covered, but the possibility of exchanging lenses and that SLR type of body makes me want it. On the other side, I'm not fully convinced about that big curtain, a huge point of failure and source of vibrations, in addition to speed related problems. But I'm not able to stop thinking about it. :banghead:

Lately, I find myself constantly thinking about a Pentacon Six TL, I already have two 6x6 TLR cameras, so the format is more than covered, but the possibility of exchanging lenses and that SLR type of body makes me want it. On the other side, I'm not fully convinced about that big curtain, a huge point of failure and source of vibrations, in addition to speed related problems. But I'm not able to stop thinking about it. :banghead:

Square format with automatic exposure?? Now you're making me think about one that has the TTL prism...

Watch out for the film counter not working on a Pentacon Six. They're well known for it (the one I had failed) and nobody likes trying to fix them! I contacted Miles Whitehead when mine started playing up and he wasn't keen on even trying to fix it.

I forgot to add, to counter the high risk of film counter issues you could pick up a Kiev 60 for a lower price which is basically the same camera. At least if that one fails you haven't lost as much on it!

Are they generally only available on the bay.

I'm tempted by the red dot......paired with a digital red dot.

When I win the lottery.

Robert White sell them and I think they may have a few new ones but RW are expensive, bit like Grays of Westminster for Nikon.
Ffordes have them sometimes , second hand but always in good nick. If you speak to them they can usually source anything you need given time. And , as you say, there is always the bay of e.

Robert White sell them and I think they may have a few new ones but RW are expensive, bit like Grays of Westminster for Nikon.
Ffordes have them sometimes , second hand but always in good nick. If you speak to them they can usually source anything you need given time. And , as you say, there is always the bay of e.

Is there a digital system you can use the lenses on alongside the film camera?

I forgot to add, to counter the high risk of film counter issues you could pick up a Kiev 60 for a lower price which is basically the same camera. At least if that one fails you haven't lost as much on it!

Can you get a TTL prism for the Kiev 60?

I wonder what fails on the film counter system in the pentaco. Is it electronic or mechanical?

Is there a digital system you can use the lenses on alongside the film camera?
I think nearly all mirrorless digitals can use adapters for manual lenses because the registration distance (from back of the lens to the film plane or sensor) is much shorter without a shutter box in the way. I've got a bunch of adapters for Fuji, cost about £10 each from Amazon for a well-made metal collar.

Can you get a TTL prism for the Kiev 60?

I wonder what fails on the film counter system in the pentaco. Is it electronic or mechanical?

Yup;

http://araxfoto.com/manuals/Brochure_prism.pdf

(looks exactly the same as the Pentacon one)

The film counter and all internals are mechanical (only battery is in the TTL prism) so I think it's a combination of parts availability and the fact the springs all fly out if you open it :0)

Back