So what film camera/bit of kit have you been obsessing about today?

Shooting, M6 TTL obviously has a meter. Also quicker loading, rewind and I believe 28mm frame lines.

The M2 and M3 feel nicer IMO. More solid and buttery smooth. I had an M6 and sold it for a Hasselblad then had an M2 which I moved on for an M3. Didn't really lose any money either. If anything, film M's creep up in value occasionally.

If you want a meter than the M6 is great. Alternatively you could get a VC2 meter for the hotshoe of an M2 or M3.

The Bessa's are pretty good but I think if you have your eyes set on a Leica then you will always want to scratch that itch.

I think MF is where it's at currently though. I love 6x7 and 6x6. Seeing as this is a film camera lust thread... wouldn't mind some Fuji 6x9 action!

The M2 and M3 feel nicer IMO. More solid and buttery smooth. I had an M6 and sold it for a Hasselblad then had an M2 which I moved on for an M3. Didn't really lose any money either. If anything, film M's creep up in value occasionally.

If you want a meter than the M6 is great. Alternatively you could get a VC2 meter for the hotshoe of an M2 or M3.

The Bessa's are pretty good but I think if you have your eyes set on a Leica then you will always want to scratch that itch.

I think MF is where it's at currently though. I love 6x7 and 6x6. Seeing as this is a film camera lust thread... wouldn't mind some Fuji 6x9 action!

I've currently already got a 6x6 Bronica which I love. I'd love to have a camera with the meter built in - like the idea of travelling a bit lighter so not taking a light meter with me is ace. Obviously that may depend on the number of elements in the equation (for fans of Snatch).

I've currently already got a 6x6 Bronica which I love. I'd love to have a camera with the meter built in - like the idea of travelling a bit lighter so not taking a light meter with me is ace. Obviously that may depend on the number of elements in the equation (for fans of Snatch).

Aaah yes. I've seen your stuff with the Bron on Instagram. Just clocked your username and remembered we follow each other. You're doing great with MF!

If you were to look for a nice M2 with a VC Meter then you'd be close to M6 money(ish) then you need a lens on top.
Alternatively I think you'd be happy with a Bessa R3 or the like. You don't have to go for a Leica lens - if you're say after a 50mm then Voigtlander and Zeiss make some lovely lenses in M mount.

For the past 12 months I've been trying to avoid buying a Contax G1 but its becoming increasingly difficult. They are blinkin' gorgeous.

Will someone please persuade me out of spending my bonus on one. :D Or alternatively has anyone owned / used / fondled one and got an opinion on it?

Worth remembering that they are fully electronic and a circuit board failure could leave you with a very expensive heavy shelf ornament? No, didn't expect it to work! :)

With one of the AE prisms you could have a built in ttl light meter and aperture priority on your Bronica (assuming it's not the SQ-B). But then again I'm sure a handheld light meter is lighter.

For the past few days I've been thinking about a camera I already own. My Rolleicord Va.

When I bought my Bronica etrsi recently I had originally intended to buy one of the SQ series instead. Anyway the yearning for square format hasn't gone away so I decided to send my Rolleicord off to Miles Whitehead for a CLA. Now I can't wait to get it back and take it out, possibly with some Kodak Ektar loaded.

With one of the AE prisms you could have a built in ttl light meter and aperture priority on your Bronica (assuming it's not the SQ-B). But then again I'm sure a handheld light meter is lighter.

With the Bronica, not bothered about taking a light meter with me. Want a smaller rangefinder of good quality with interchangeable lenses to be able to travel "light"

With the Bronica, not bothered about taking a light meter with me. Want a smaller rangefinder of good quality with interchangeable lenses to be able to travel "light"

Bessa R4A or R3A depending what focal lengths you want to use

I really miss my M6. Had two M2's previously, both in good nick, the second was pretty much as god as you could expect from a 60 year old camera. Enjoyed both and great to use but had a hankering for an M6 - as I shoot my kids a fair bit it was a bit of a pain to faff with a meter. The M6 was a dream. Picked up a great sumicron at a decent price too and it was a great combo. I sold as I didn't use it as much as I should and wanted the money for other stuff, but if i was to go back i would get an M6 like a shot.

Fuji X100T. Do I sell my 70D to buy one!

A sudden urge to get a Ricoh GR21 befell me. I forget why. Then I saw the price of them :wideyed: Most are about a grand!

Then the urge switched to Leica. The R series specifically the R5 as they seem reasonable. Can't find any sensible R lenses though. Then I wonder whether it would actually be noticeably better than the hi-matic anyway...

I had a Leica R4 with a Japanese made Leica 35-70 zoom, it was a craking bit of kit but did not use it as much as I thought I would so traded it for something else.

Now you mention it, its got me thinking again :confused: :)

Lusting? HMMMM, have blown the dust of my Nikon F4, just got a 50mm f1.4 for it and now I am thinking about a 300mm f2.8 AF lens :confused::confused: really shouldn't :D

I'm resisting the temptation to get either the E mount Voightlander 15mm or Batis 18mm to fill a wee hole in my prime lineup, I have the CV10mm but the next prime is 28mm.

I thought the Leica Rs were generally thought of as a bit underwhelming... specially for the price? Wasn't that the period when the company started to get into trouble? This page suggests the earlier models were based on Minolta XD and XE, and by the time they had sorted out all the bugs and got to a quality system, the R9 was "Perfection indeed, if you have forearms of steel, don't mind manual focusing cameras, and love R-glass".

I thought the Leica Rs were generally thought of as a bit underwhelming... specially for the price? Wasn't that the period when the company started to get into trouble? This page suggests the earlier models were based on Minolta XD and XE, and by the time they had sorted out all the bugs and got to a quality system, the R9 was "Perfection indeed, if you have forearms of steel, don't mind manual focusing cameras, and love R-glass".

They probably are disappointing. The new leica digitals seem to be more or less re-badged Panasonics as well. They seem to be the Alfa Romeo of the camera world.

Been looking at a spare Pentax body, now I am down to just one... the Pentax P30n has caught my eye, with its dashing 90's looks...

Last edited:
Been looking at a spare Pentax body, now I am down to just one... the Pentax P30n has caught my eye, with its dashing 90's looks...

HMMM! use to sell those new a long time ago, not a bad little camera, fairly simple, I think a little down on the ME Super as I am sure, if failing memory servers me right, you could,nt attach a motor wind to them.

They probably are disappointing. The new leica digitals seem to be more or less re-badged Panasonics as well. They seem to be the Alfa Romeo of the camera world.

Oh I don't know, the Leica R series, 3,4 and 5 I think were built by Minolta, as well as the glass, lots of people would say get the Minolta, however then R4 had was OK, never got a rubbish shot out of it from the little I used it. Viewfinder was bright and had a slight blue tinge to it, which sound worse than it is.

Like all things if it is cheap it is worth ago.

Might be putting my Z-1 in the classifieds soon as I'm not keen on auto film cameras...

Might be putting my Z-1 in the classifieds soon as I'm not keen on auto film cameras...

I'm not hugely keen on them either! The P30n is still manual focus, manual wind, no pop-up flash... Older autofocus lenses do tend to be slow and noisy. I may be slow at focusing but at least I'm quiet!

HMMM! use to sell those new a long time ago, not a bad little camera, fairly simple, I think a little down on the ME Super as I am sure, if failing memory servers me right, you could,nt attach a motor wind to them.

This is to replace an ME Super, funnily enough. Never really have a need for motor winders.

I'm not hugely keen on them either! The P30n is still manual focus, manual wind, no pop-up flash... Older autofocus lenses do tend to be slow and noisy. I may be slow at focusing but at least I'm quiet!

Ah. You can use manual lenses with the Z-1 although the viewfinder is not up to MX standards! As regards noise, I quite liked the little snick it gave as the F 35-105 focuses...

When my sister decided that she would like a film SLR I guided her towards one of these. My first impressions are that it's a nice little camera, still quite solid but not too heavy. Feels comfortable to hold. And they are a steal on eBay at the minute. The only downside is that you can't manually set the film speed.

When my sister decided that she would like a film SLR I guided her towards one of these. My first impressions are that it's a nice little camera, still quite solid but not too heavy. Feels comfortable to hold. And they are a steal on eBay at the minute. The only downside is that you can't manually set the film speed.

Oh really? That's interesting. To be honest, I don't often push film, but it's a minor annoyance not to have the feature!

Oh I don't know, the Leica R series, 3,4 and 5 I think were built by Minolta, as well as the glass, lots of people would say get the Minolta, however then R4 had was OK, never got a rubbish shot out of it from the little I used it. Viewfinder was bright and had a slight blue tinge to it, which sound worse than it is.

Like all things if it is cheap it is worth ago.

The design of the R bodies was a collaboration with Minolta but my R6 and R7 were made in Germany and my R4 in Portugal.
My 28mm and 90mm were made in Germany and my 50mm in Canada. All Leica designs. :)

Seems to be hit and miss if you get a working one. Bought one off the bay which transpired to be duff and now sits in a drawer for spares. Ordered another one from elsewhere and was sent a P30t which is also duff - dispute to be started on that. Then found another P30n on the bay which does appear to work. Bloomin' minefield out there.

Seems to be hit and miss if you get a working one. Bought one off the bay which transpired to be duff and now sits in a drawer for spares. Ordered another one from elsewhere and was sent a P30t which is also duff - dispute to be started on that. Then found another P30n on the bay which does appear to work. Bloomin' minefield out there.
Erk - I was looking at a couple of cheapies, but may be best to go with one from an eBay shop! Cheers for the tip :)

Harrison cameras offer 12 months warranty on all their used gear. Most of the other second hand places offer only 6 months.

My sister paid about £20 for her P30n (I think - the one with aperture priority) from eBay. I think the usual rules apply, make sure the feedback is good and that they aren't using the usual "I know nothing about cameras' spiel. I fell foul of that and took a chance on a cheap Minolta MD 70-210 f4 zoom and it arrived full of fungus [emoji17]. Lesson learnt for next time.

I've been obsessing about large format in general and spending too much time looking on eBay; however I had to laugh at the description of this MPP which is described as "MINT condition" - but look at the bellows:

s-l1600.jpg

The seller says it was was used in the "RANK film organisation" - I'd say the bellows are rank, for sure.

I've been obsessing about large format in general and spending too much time looking on eBay; however I had to laugh at the description of this MPP which is described as "MINT condition" - but look at the bellows:

View attachment 98078

The seller says it was was used in the "RANK film organisation" - I'd say the bellows are rank, for sure.

You'd think the guy would clean it before selling :rolleyes:

You'd think the guy would clean it before selling :rolleyes:
"It's patina, chief. They'd kill for this on that Antiques Roadshow, David Dickinson would have your arm off an' no mistake."

I swear, all my cameras are lovely, exactly as described, previously owned by a little old lady who only put a roll of film through every other Sunday to keep everything working. I promise my real name isn't Arfur ... :oops: :$

Thank God for the MPP, I was glazing over with all this toytown leica/voightland/35mm jibberjabber

:D

Not sure about obsessing, but I did stop off at the Lensbaby stall at TPS17. I had a long discussion trying to figure out if their tilt lens was a proper tilt lens, ie allows you to change the angle of the plane of focus. Thought it would be interesting if it was. However, it seemed to me that the shift lens actually had a line (rather than a plane) of focus that you could move about with the shift function. I did have my camera with me but they didn't have a K mount version so I couldn't try it for myself!

Not sure about obsessing, but I did stop off at the Lensbaby stall at TPS17. I had a long discussion trying to figure out if their tilt lens was a proper tilt lens, ie allows you to change the angle of the plane of focus. Thought it would be interesting if it was. However, it seemed to me that the shift lens actually had a line (rather than a plane) of focus that you could move about with the shift function. I did have my camera with me but they didn't have a K mount version so I couldn't try it for myself!

http://www.tiltshiftphotography.net/tilt-shift-photography-photoshop-tutorial/

Back