So who's going to do a 365 in 2013

It should be i said a month or so ago i am going to be doing it. Will be starting a thread on the 1st with my first picture.

MR MATT!!!! You're letting them get away like a chap holding too many marbles !!!

So, are we meant to open a thread now then? I'm actually away over the New Year, so although I'll have taken my pics, I doubt I'll be able to upload them untill I return :shrug:

So, are we meant to open a thread now then? I'm actually away over the New Year, so although I'll have taken my pics, I doubt I'll be able to upload them untill I return :shrug:

I think you can open a new thread...just so Mr Matt can add a link.. Up to you.

Go on....you know you want too :naughty:

Seriously it's going to be a really quiet part of the forum in 2013 if we don't have some new blood in there :D

LOL, oh I'm sure it will be quiet.... Fear of failure is my biggest fear! I think I've tried twice now and failed after about a 100 pics or so. I just don't know whether I can manage a third time. Going to have to think some more about this :thinking:

Go for it !!! (y)(y)(y) i'm a big supporter of the Crazy Corner(y)

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm sure there's more than enough takers for the nut corner :bang: :LOL:

LOL, oh I'm sure it will be quiet.... Fear of failure is my biggest fear! I think I've tried twice now and failed after about a 100 pics or so. I just don't know whether I can manage a third time. Going to have to think some more about this :thinking:

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm sure there's more than enough takers for the nut corner :bang: :LOL:

Wibbly .... Does Nick bullock have this fear... As a mountain climber he's failed to reach numerous peaks...but he says its mostly down to trying new techniques new routes...that he doesn't make it...so don't fear the unknown... And as yoda (the non Disney sage).. do!..there is no try ...

So...you're going try give it another try....??

Last edited:
I need to start looking at some pictures to get ideas, need plenty of indoor ideas for when i dont want/cant get outside.

I need to start looking at some pictures to get ideas, need plenty of indoor ideas for when i dont want/cant get outside.

I built myself a lightbox for those occasions when like you say you can't get outside... Its just cardboard but does the trick... Then you've got everything from clocks to water drops to smoke trails.. Indoor is the new outdoor..

Got any pics of your lightbox?

I think 365 threads are a bad idea. I cannot think of anything that would make me hate photography more than forcing myself to take a picture of something everyday. Photography should not be forced. You should try to create a photograph when you want to, and when you feel inspired. Trying to do this every day is going to put anyone off it surely? You will become bored of it as your photos tend to deteriorate into boring photos of nothingness. Pictures for the sake of being pictures, to fulfil a meaningless obsession with taking one every day. It does not really show skill to keep taking pictures everyday and keep them interesting. It shows you lead a life which allows you enough time to do so. Why should people be applauded for that fact?

I'd rather produce one stunning picture a year, than 365 mediocre photos from painstakingly forcing myself to take one every day. It's also very easy to cheat and pretend you took one every day.
I have to be honest, the majority of 365 threads I have ever entered have contained a lot of photos that were dead boring and more "snapshots" that could have been taken with a phone camera. Some were in fact taken with a phone.

I also think some people make 365 threads just for the attention, i.e. they experience a "high" from spamming forums all the time having people view their pics. If you genuinely take a picture every day that is worth sharing, why not bundle them up into a group every couple of weeks and then post them in the relative sections. A dedicated thread to yourself just seems a bit arrogant.

That's just my opinion. I do not wish to offend anyone that does these. If you enjoy doing it, that's great. :)

Last edited:
Why post in here then if your not interested, for me its the trying to force myself that will be a good thing, i always find reasons not to do it even when i want to, this im hoping will make me just get up and out with my camera more.

Ok.....first I haven't taken offense. Each to their own... I choose canon..doesn't mean nikon is inferior in anyway... ;)

But..... The 365 is my journey. You look in it by choice.. I've posted in the forums above and got little critique or reply... So feel I'm not suited or in the right click for them.... I don't force myself every day to take a photo as I'm not as anal as the die hards out there in flickr land and beyond... I ENJOY TAKING PHOTOS...and if mine are..in your opinion 'boring' so be it... If arrogance describes me then I wear it like a badge... I've had praise for some of my work but hey..its not gone to my head....

...so for us that have and are about to start 365 projects ... They're our vice .. I can think of worse I could do... :D

...and..id rather hold the dice everyday to give myself that opportunity than to sit there and imagine rolling them...

Why post in here then if your not interested, for me its the trying to force myself that will be a good thing, i always find reasons not to do it even when i want to, this im hoping will make me just get up and out with my camera more.

Just thought I would add an alternative opinion to the mix. I know it is a strong opinion but that shouldn't mean it is not welcome. I wish you all well in your 365 attempts but for me they are a yawn fest. I realize that may sound offensive to all those that do do them, but that's just how it is for me. :)

Ok.....first I haven't taken offense. Each to their own... I choose canon..doesn't mean nikon is inferior in anyway... ;)

But..... The 365 is my journey. You look in it by choice.. I've posted in the forums above and got little critique or reply... So feel I'm not suited or in the right click for them.... I don't force myself every day to take a photo as I'm not as anal as the die hards out there in flickr land and beyond... I ENJOY TAKING PHOTOS...and if mine are..in your opinion 'boring' so be it... If arrogance describes me then I wear it like a badge... I've had praise for some of my work but hey..its not gone to my head....

...so for us that have and are about to start 365 projects ... They're our vice .. I can think of worse I could do... :D

...and..id rather hold the dice everyday to give myself that opportunity than to sit there and imagine rolling them...

Fair play. :clap:

Fair play. :clap:

In fact .... I am Mr arrogant..because I do photo24's ... A whole day of me submitting photos..one every hour... That must be Hell for ***!! Following me on here and on flickr...

I'm going to have to think about this now.......... :(

In fact .... I am Mr arrogant..because I do photo24's ... A whole day of me submitting photos..one every hour... That must be Hell for ***!! Following me on here and on flickr...

I'm going to have to think about this now.......... :(

...and add vain.... As I did a shed load of self portraits... :# :((

...and add vain.... As I did a shed load of self portraits... :# :((

.....and add to that the whole month of self portrait guess the tv show photos I did in the creative forum.... I'm a bad person and deserve the penance of a 365 for a third term at least.... :(

Wibbly .... Does Nick bullock have this fear... As a mountain climber he's failed to reach numerous peaks...but he says its mostly down to trying new techniques new routes...that he doesn't make it...so don't fear the unknown... And as yoga (the non Disney sage).. do!..there is no try ...

So...you're going try give it another try....??

Haha, I can't really argue against that... (y) All I can do is look back at my previous 365 efforts and wonder if I can beat the mundane and banal efforts they fell into!

<still thinking>

I think 365 threads are a bad idea. I cannot think of anything that would make me hate photography more than forcing myself to take a picture of something everyday. Photography should not be forced. You should try to create a photograph when you want to, and when you feel inspired. Trying to do this every day is going to put anyone off it surely? You will become bored of it as your photos tend to deteriorate into boring photos of nothingness. Pictures for the sake of being pictures, to fulfil a meaningless obsession with taking one every day. It does not really show skill to keep taking pictures everyday and keep them interesting. It shows you lead a life which allows you enough time to do so. Why should people be applauded for that fact?

I'd rather produce one stunning picture a year, than 365 mediocre photos from painstakingly forcing myself to take one every day. It's also very easy to cheat and pretend you took one every day.
I have to be honest, the majority of 365 threads I have ever entered have contained a lot of photos that were dead boring and more "snapshots" that could have been taken with a phone camera. Some were in fact taken with a phone.

I also think some people make 365 threads just for the attention, i.e. they experience a "high" from spamming forums all the time having people view their pics. If you genuinely take a picture every day that is worth sharing, why not bundle them up into a group every couple of weeks and then post them in the relative sections. A dedicated thread to yourself just seems a bit arrogant.

That's just my opinion. I do not wish to offend anyone that does these. If you enjoy doing it, that's great. :)

I don't think everyone has suggested there is a skill in taking a photo every day, it's not a skill it's a commitment...no one is forced to do anything and also on the cheating aspect, there is only one person that would be cheated by someone not being honest and that is the persons who's challenge it is :shake:

I'm loathed to call any of my images stunning, but that's because I find it very hard to be self congratulatory however your welcome to check out my thread and you should find quite a few decent images in the thread, I think that your doing most committed POTDers a disservice in the standards of their out put, Kevin for example last year posted a truly inspirational series of self portraits..a POTD thread is no more self absorbed than any other photo thread..

It may not have been you intention to cause offence, but it has had that effect with me, I suggest if you wish to discuss the con's of doing a POTD you start your own thread...

Matt

It may not have been you intention to cause offence, but it has had that effect with me, I suggest if you wish to discuss the con's of doing a POTD you start your own thread...

Matt

:plus1:

if someone doesnt like the idea of 365s and has no wish to do or view them, then that's cetainly their perrogative, but why post to say so ? (or indeed even open a thread if you have no interst in the subject )

Personally I have no interest in doing nude and glamour, but i don't feel the need to interupt a thread in the N&G forum to say so , or to make insulting remarks about the motivations of those that do.

Last edited:
It's a photography forum where people can discuss. What better place to talk about 365 threads in...I know this is radical....a "who's doing a 365 thread". If you can't take my opinion then don't cry about it. Post yours back. Why should I start my own thread just because I raise an alternative opinion? That can't be a realistic suggestion? On that basis people would have to raise new threads each time they disagree with something?

If you find 365 threads great, then big them up here and counter my insane argument if you like. But don't tell me to be silent because this is a forum.

We don't want to counter your argument - this is a thread about whio's doing 365s in the challenges, competitions etc board , none of us have any interest in discussing whether or not they are a good idea in this thread.

this is indeed a forum, with rules, and one of those rules is no hijacking , another is no trolling for an argument - you are currently doing both

clicktor said:
It's a photography forum where people can discuss. What better place to talk about 365 threads in...I know this is radical....a "who's doing a 365 thread". If you can't take my opinion then don't cry about it. Post yours back. Why should I start my own thread just because I raise an alternative opinion? That can't be a realistic suggestion? On that basis people would have to raise new threads each time they disagree with something?

If you find 365 threads great, then big them up here and counter my insane argument if you like. But don't tell me to be silent because this is a forum.

Yes and you've come into this thread and made some sweeping and rather rude comments about the quality and motivation of doing such a challenge, have you ever visited some of the 365's on the forum, or commented on them???

I do a 365 challenge because I want too and I'm enjoying it ""Not because someone wants me too""

Everyone takes their own path(y)

I don't want applauding for living a busy life either

I just love photography as a daily hobby , many other have daily hobbies of a different nature. Nothing wrong with that:thinking:

Be Naughty and save santa a trip (y)

I'm going to give it a shot this year (2013) inspired mainly by the fact I don't have to lug an SLR around and I can just use my X10! Still think its going to be tough though, not sure if I need a theme to work towards....

Ferj said:
I'm going to give it a shot this year (2013) inspired mainly by the fact I don't have to lug an SLR around and I can just use my X10! Still think its going to be tough though, not sure if I need a theme to work towards....

Great (y) themes are something that either work or don't ;) depending on the person

Great (y) themes are something that either work or don't ;) depending on the person

Sounds interesting.... I'm not so much thinking about themes, I quite like the idea of a lens a month to try and really learn the nuances of each lens over the course of a month (if I commit to it that is) :D

Sounds interesting.... I'm not so much thinking about themes, I quite like the idea of a lens a month to try and really learn the nuances of each lens over the course of a month (if I commit to it that is) :D

Sounds like a good idea (y) I did a month of 1 second plus photo's last month and that really was fun (y) but I'm just the type of person that just doesn't like being tied down to a theme it's why I only made it 4 weeks on the 52 :bonk:

I'm intending to give this a go from the 1st January too. Got a shiny new D7000 today and santa is bringing me a samsung tablet for christmas that will let me do basic editing and upload from anywhere so this should help make the challenge a little easier. Will see how it goes.

phil_b said:
I'm intending to give this a go from the 1st January too. Got a shiny new D7000 today and santa is bringing me a samsung tablet for christmas that will let me do basic editing and upload from anywhere so this should help make the challenge a little easier. Will see how it goes.

Well you know you can count on the support of the mad house :D

Sounds like a good idea (y) I did a month of 1 second plus photo's last month and that really was fun (y) but I'm just the type of person that just doesn't like being tied down to a theme it's why I only made it 4 weeks on the 52 :bonk:

A month of 1 second + photos sounds interesting. Maybe I need to add that to my list! :D

A month of 1 second + photos sounds interesting. Maybe I need to add that to my list! :D

I plan on running the challenge again next November :D had quite a number of participants this year (y)

Back