Notice Some big changes coming to TP

Nope we have to word to admin guidelines, can you image the "fun" we mods could have
if left alone to make up our own ? (y)

tenor.gif

sounds like you can you just haven't realised it yet :p

Last edited:
Not so sure about that … who watches the watchers? (or The Watch in earlier times) has a nice ring to it :).

That's a common translation, but 'who will guard the guards themselves?' may be more accurate.

That's a common translation, but 'who will guard the guards themselves?' may be more accurate.
And those of you that go back far enough, will remember all those classic spam posts.
Many of you also joined in.
Poacher turned game keeper is more accurate rather than guard ;)

Last edited:
You can only keep, or hang, game for so long. In my experience, game is best roasted or pan-fried rather than poached too.

Or have I finally lost the plot?

You can only keep, or hang, game for so long. In my experience, game is best roasted or pan-fried rather than poached too.

Or have I finally lost the plot?
Ha ha! But I think pheasant with cream, peas etc on the stove top works well, not really poaching but close.

I'm coming to you for dinner Richard!

Best news! Thanks to Marcel, all of the mods who give their time and thanks to the members, whome I have learned plenty from!:ty:

tenor.gif

sounds like you can you just haven't realised it yet :p

not really - the sum total of Moderation "wiggle room" is encapsulated in the final sentence of the rules...

Please note : The spirit of the rules will always overrule the literal wording.

basically, it's there purely for when some barrack-room-lawyer tries to argue semantics about the written rules. Fortunately, my esteemed colleagues on the mod staff were chosen for their common sense and depth of real-life experiences, and generally employ these strengths in their day to day endeavours on here. Me, probably not so much, I'm a grumpy so-and-so.

not really - the sum total of Moderation "wiggle room" is encapsulated in the final sentence of the rules...

basically, it's there purely for when some barrack-room-lawyer tries to argue semantics about the written rules. Fortunately, my esteemed colleagues on the mod staff were chosen for their common sense and depth of real-life experiences, and generally employ these strengths in their day to day endeavours on here. Me, probably not so much, I'm a grumpy so-and-so.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, SNAKES do not have any common sense :D

Just had a read back over the last few pages. Great news. :clap:

I’ve always said it’s important to know the rules and when you break them, do it consciously and for a good reason -- such as when they were never intended to have a particular result. I think an extreme case might be the daft US gun laws based on the constituitonal mention of ”militia” (and no, I’m not anti-gun).

Don’t bother to ask someone if he’s from Yorkshire, ‘cos in 5 mins he’ll tell you — go back in your rhubarb bunker :exit:

Actually from Mid-way between the Rhubarb Triangle and the Liquorice fields... Surprising, with all those purgatives nearby that the local populace is still mainly full of s*** really....

Actually from Mid-way between the Rhubarb Triangle and the Liquorice fields... Surprising, with all those purgatives nearby that the local populace is still mainly full of s*** really....

As an incomer and just north of you, I can honestly say … I don’t mind’em really :).

I’ve always said it’s important to know the rules and when you break them, do it consciously and for a good reason -- such as when they were never intended to have a particular result. I think an extreme case might be the daft US gun laws based on the constituitonal mention of ”militia” (and no, I’m not anti-gun).

To b fair, there's support for the view that the 2nd Amendment is closely linked to the provisions of the English Bill of Rights 1689; and that neither created a right. They merely codified rights that already existed. The UK didn't move towards restricting these rights until Parliament passed the Firearms Act 1920. The justification for this, and the reasoning, were at best questionable.

To b fair, there's support for the view that the 2nd Amendment is closely linked to the provisions of the English Bill of Rights 1689; and that neither created a right. They merely codified rights that already existed. The UK didn't move towards restricting these rights until Parliament passed the Firearms Act 1920. The justification for this, and the reasoning, were at best questionable.
And to be fair we still have that right but it only apples to shotguns of limited capacity and non auto.. Nothing much wrong with the US version if they just made them join a “well formed militia“ :(.

Don’t bother to ask someone if he’s from Yorkshire, ‘cos in 5 mins he’ll tell you — go back in your rhubarb bunker :exit:
More like ... "Never ask someone if they are from Yorkshire, if they are they will already have told you, if not they will be offended"

And to be fair we still have that right but it only apples to shotguns of limited capacity and non auto.. Nothing much wrong with the US version if they just made them join a “well formed militia“ :(.

You can also license rifles for some purposes, but all firearms are subject to licensing. We do not have a right to own them, as commonly understood. Having said that, I get what you're saying.

This is a very complex debate and the issue of what constitutes a 'well regulated militia' or just 'the militia' is undecided, and has been since 1791. There certainly isn't any consensus that it refers to some sort of territorial or part time army that citizens have to join to exercise their rights under the 2nd Amendment.

The leading case on the RKBA and the 2nd Amendment seems to be District of Columbia v Heller (2008). There's a good discussion here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/second_amendment. This references some other cases and Cornell Law School aren't known for taking far right or vigilante positions.

I'm not defending the 2nd Amendment in itself, but it had its origins in English law which remained largely unchanged for another 230 years. The RKBA is part of the US Constitution for good reasons, and is not just 'daft US gun laws'.

Last edited:
Ah well, I've done my share to take it off topic, but I did have some assistance!

I'd be happy to help to get things back on track, but where was the track again ... ? :)

You can also license rifles for some purposes, but all firearms are subject to licensing. We do not have a right to own them, as commonly understood. Having said that, I get what you're saying.

This is a very complex debate and the issue of what constitutes a 'well regulated militia' or just 'the militia' is undecided, and has been since 1791. There certainly isn't any consensus that it refers to some sort of territorial or part time army that citizens have to join to exercise their rights under the 2nd Amendment.

The leading case on the RKBA and the 2nd Amendment seems to be District of Columbia v Heller (2008). There's a good discussion here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/second_amendment. This references some other cases and Cornell Law School aren't known for taking far right or vigilante positions.

I'm not defending the 2nd Amendment in itself, but it had its origins in English law which remained largely unchanged for another 230 years. The RKBA is part of the US Constitution for good reasons, and is not just 'daft US gun laws'.

Not going to take this much further but there is no right to licence a rifle or pistol in England, you can get a licence if you can show a good reason (only ‘right’ exception I can think of was for certain air pistols when pistols generally were banned). You have a right to a shotgun with a certificate (not licence) but the police can object that you are not a proper person etc and confiscate under vario circumstances. Subject the law having changed in any relevant was recently.

It's gone a long way (off topic, as tends to happen) and I've started to not understand what's going on anymore :thinking: :ROFLMAO:

Wha .. what … isn’t this the firearms licensing thread ? :).

This is TP what else were you expecting?
:D

:whistle:

I think your you‘re the main culprit, but the Serpents … it’s alleged that’s what they do :).

Edit typo.

Last edited:
All this talk about gun laws, I think it's a plot to put the mods in turrets with guns to keeps us all in line :exit::LOL:

That was the plot I thought I'd lost!

Back