some of the best wildlife shots ever

:eek::eek::eek:

Thats about all I can say to them really.
They are by far, the best captures I have ever seen, I love them.
Some cracking elephant shots, including the first one.

Bookmarked that page for future inspiration (y)
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Yep I'd have to agree :)

Many of these sort of wildlife shots we've all seen hundreds or more times before, but the (huge) amount of processing has brought another dimension to these images over the majority of great wildlife shots I've seen

Thanks for the link (y)

DD

Those are just stunning, thanks for sharing the info ;)

They certainly cancel out any thoughts that wildlife doesn't work in black & white!

Some stunning imagery there :)

His work is an absolute inspiration and I have read quite a few articles about him. What I wouldn't give for a masterclass on processing from him.........if ever he decides to run wildlife courses, book me in.

Sheer genius.

Oh wow!

They are absolutely incredible!!

Trying to pick a favourite and I can't!!

Many thanks to Ste for the OP !!!

Anth

With photos like this it only gives you the hope and ispiration that one day may be one day you might be able to take 1 good shot let alone a whole load like this. (y)

I am absolutely gob smacked and could have them allaround the house.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Stunning! Simply stunning!!!

A great link and certainly something to aspire to but I feel that no matter how much processing, you just cannot make a Robin look quite so dramatic :(

But I do stand to be proved wrong :D

Along with my favourite photographer John Hyde, Nick Brandt is at another level to most mortals and in my humble opinion the best there is working in black and white.
Check out next months BBC Wildlife magazine because they are running a special on Nick's work.

I read an interview with him a couple of months ago - if I remember rightly he shoots on film with an old manual SLR, and does minimum PP after digitizing the results. He basically waits, sometimes weeks at a time, for the shot he has pre-visualized, until the shot materializes for him. Superb wildlife 'tog, very inspirational (y)

You really have to see them printed to appreciate them, the books are superb. By far the best wildlife (nay THE BEST) tog in the world today, and he uses medium format and medium range lenses (upto 200mm in 35mm format).

They are fantastic love the pictures of the elephants saying that thou i do have a soft spot for elephants

Incredebile phtots, thank you for the link

Amazing photos, and amazing talent. I have ZERO doubt that there are people on these very forums capable of this level of work, given time and some commitment.

Top drawer.

G.

stunning amazing photos will bookmark, thanks for the link(y)

WOW! Thanks for the link, truly wonderful wildlife photographer.

just when you think you have taken a good shot,you see a gallery like this and it puts it all into perspective,they are incredible,I love the way he has used mono to bring them to life,especially the windswept lion image,I found myself looking at it for an age.Thanks for sharing.

Very inspiring as I'm off on safari next week! Although having looked at them, I may need to manage my expectations! Some truly amazing shots there!

Last edited:
I had to look at these again,they're better than the first time I viewed them.

thanks for the link...brilliant (i'll have to stop saying i dont like black and white now)
these shots are amazng

Wonderful pictures and all without the use of a telephoto lens. It must take him hours of patience and not a little bravery to get those images.

I've been a fan of his work for a while now, I got his first book at christmas and have the second on back order as amazon uk are out of stock and anyone who has stock wants 4x the price.

Have a read of http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00ERse this thread where the man himself (well it's the internet so we can't be certain) answers some questions.

He uses and old Pentax 6x7 and upto 250mm (ish) lenses. I've got similar focal length lenses for my Bronica and even at the zoo I couldn't get the framing he does. He must get up close and personal (or crop a fair bit). He maintains that although the toning is done in photoshop the tilt-shift/lensbaby look is done in camera by uncoupling the lens slightly and moving it around at the mount. Apparently and understandably this means he has a lot more binners that keepers.

I've looked closely at the photos in the book and I just can't understand how he has got the plane of focus to go where it has with this method. Some of them are mind boggling. Even if he does PS more than he admits, there is no taking away from the end result, some of the most striking wildlife photography I'll ever imagine seeing.

It's photos like these that make you want to give up and quit, lol. I was floored at the very first one. Love it.

It's photos like these that make you want to give up and quit, lol. I was floored at the very first one. Love it.

Nah, it's photos like these that make me by more gear in the pursuit of better photos. Something tells me I'm concentrating on the wrong area of my photography;)

Back