Sony A6000

I'm sorely tempted by one these. I've got to the point where I cant be bothered to take a DSLR if I'm going out and about, its just too much to lug around.

I've tried mirrorless before (Panasonic G5) and while I really liked the small form factor the autofocus speed was a real let down. I suppose it doesnt help that I've been a bit spoiled in the past having come from a Nikon D200 then Canon 7D. Looking at some of the reviews they do bang on about how good the autofocus speed is, but is it? does it compare with a DSLR?

I've tried mirrorless before (Panasonic G5) and while I really liked the small form factor the autofocus speed was a real let down.

Don't forget that AF speed is a combination of body and lens.

Micro Four Thirds doesn't have to be slow focusing and indeed my first generation Panasonic G1 focuses very quickly with a fast focusing lens. I'm pretty sure there'll be specifications and possibly even youtube videos for whatever combination of body and lens you're looking at.

Im struggling to decide wether to purchase one of these or a Nikon d3300. Pros and cons of both but the cost of the lenses is a big decison for me

Im struggling to decide wether to purchase one of these or a Nikon d3300. Pros and cons of both but the cost of the lenses is a big decison for me

If it were just the camera for me it would be tough as I think the A6k is fantastic, its really going to be down to the lenses though, I can get away with just a couple primes a lot cant.

Heads up people Amazon UK has the 16-70cz F4 at £426 today. Be quick.

It was only £390.00 last Thursday, I bought one ! :)

Wow that's a super price. I think for this lens £450 is about right not at £650. Anyway ordered one even though I don't have the A6000 yet lol. Been shooting with the RX100m3 and really impressed with it so hoping to pick up A6k pretty soon having missed out on the £100 cash back few months ago and hoping Sony will offer it again but now only £50. Not sure to buy the body only or with kit lens for £70 more.

hmm the 16-50 is really small, and does focus very fast at wide to mid angles, ive not used the 16 70 my mum got for 390 too, to compair yet. id recommend looking at second hand prices of the 16 50 to help u decide

Come on A6k users where are your pics? I am still waiting for a deal on the camera body hope price drop soon. Don't know how long I can wait before I pull the trigger. The 16-70 Zeiss is lonely lol.

Playing around with the 50mm Sony lens indoors and using those opaque plastic flash bounce cards. A rare moment of peace from my little tornado....

Sleeping... by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm in Florida at the moment with my A6000 which is proving to be excellent all round. I've brought the 16-50 kit, Sigma 60mm/2.8 and Samyang 12mm/2.0 to cover most of the needs. I'm actually using the 16-50 most because with the excellent light all round the slower aperture isn't a problem and I've had very few problems focussing even in very low light. I'll upload some shots later on when I get chance.

Actually, got a couple I've transferred to my phone.

I've just grabbed this at ISO 6400 F2.8 with the Sigma 60mm

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1446771549.427493.jpg

ISO 6400 (I think) in low light inside the Rainforest cafe with the Samyang 12mm (focussed around 5cm)

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1446773592.151810.jpg

Another one with the Sigma 60mm but I can't remember the ISO/aperture

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1446773647.991234.jpg

Last edited:
I am still abit confused with the Sony FE and E mount lenses. Can the A6k use FE mount lenses without an adaptor? Do they work as normal E mount lenses?

... you can also use APSC E mount lenses on the A7 cameras in crop mode, it just reduces the image size in camera. So A7 is 24MP FF but becomes 10MP.

Come on A6k users where are your pics? I am still waiting for a deal on the camera body hope price drop soon. Don't know how long I can wait before I pull the trigger. The 16-70 Zeiss is lonely lol.

Here are a couple, well three actually.

DSC01756_richmondroofs1_3-X2.jpg

DSC02571_Jess_bench-X2.jpg

This one iso1250

DSC02016_jess-X2.jpg

Excellent, keep them coming guys. Love to contribute too but no camera yet. One quick question if I may. I read somewhere cann't rememeber where though regarding a 'bug' in the EVF display where it is showing the date twice, one at the top and one at the bottom where it should be displaying the shots remaining counter? Are you guys seen this in your cameras? Hope I have explained it properly.

I just love my A6000. Autofocus is fast. Shooting non league football (hobby) i manage far more sharp keepers than i did with my Nikon DSLR. The 11 fps is also a joy.

The dog was running bloody fast !!

Max at Rough Wood by Alan Stokes, on Flickr

..... i was extremely drunk when taking this one !!

Bruce Foxton - From the Jam by Alan Stokes, on Flickr

Steve I use the pixi also suits the a6000 perfectly, we'll built and solid and the bonus it fits in my bag so no extra kit to carry.

My Sony A6000 twin lens kit arrived today :) Just waiting for the Sigma 19mm F2.8 too.. Bought it as a light travel kit as opposed to lugging the D800 around. Any tips to offer to get me started?

Cheers

Simon

Just looked on the John Lewis site. The 6000 now comes with £100 cashback.

Back