Sony RX100

" The trick is to lower the EVF and then immediately press the power button - it does work! But there is a knack. Timing is everything."

you can push the viewfinder almost all the way down. then it needs extra pressure to close. this is the place to experiment with the timing.

rx100 iv has a menu item to choose whether to turn the camera off when the viewfinder is closed. sony dont appear overkeen to provide this in a firmware update for the m3 version of the camera.

Well ! I did try this method and succeeded some times. :( unless practice makes perfect (and I doubt that) I cannot see it being a long time workable method. I'm not convinced it is beneficial to the camera as all you are doing is 'fooling' the electronics. I imagine if this was an 'accepted' method Sony would publicise it ?

If this is the case " rx100 iv has a menu item to choose whether to turn the camera off when the viewfinder is closed. " Then someone at Sony must have seen the light and therefore I find it hard to believe Sony will not make this available for the mk3 via a firmware upgrade.

20150904_103018.jpg
Does anyone know what the difference is between the 2 AEL toggle options in this custom key menu?
Thanks in anticipation....

Considering picking up a RX100 MK1 version. Is there much difference in the MK2 apart from the titling screen? Just trying to decide if the MK2 is worth the extra. Thanks.

Also, how do people find video quality on the RX100 and how does it handle IS? Thanks.

I've been trying out our Rx100 mk 1 on a family break in the lakes really pleased with it
Great image quality and easy to use
When I took portrait shots in auto it automatically took a second closer shot which was often better than the original one I had framed:D
I took my full dslr kit around Buttermere and at the end of it my back was killing me
When we went fell walking I couldn't face carrying it all and I took the RX100 so much easier and got some really nice shots :)

Last edited:
Decided im definitely getting a RX100. Initially I was just going to get the MK1, but now im considering the MK3. Has anyone here used both, particularly interested in the differences in video quality of both. Is the MK3 worth the extra over the MK1.

As Ming Thein says, this is a Swiss Army Knife type of camera. Does lots of things but none especially well.
I've got one, I love it.
IQ is not a great leap from the Mk 1 but ithe lens is sharper. It's the other bits that count - wifi, EVF, memory zoom, tilting screen. If you can do without those, get the Mk1 - fantastic camera and noticeably slimmer.
Video? I can't tell the difference but then I'm just shooting the kids.....

As Ming Thein says, this is a Swiss Army Knife type of camera. Does lots of things but none especially well.
I've got one, I love it.
IQ is not a great leap from the Mk 1 but ithe lens is sharper. It's the other bits that count - wifi, EVF, memory zoom, tilting screen. If you can do without those, get the Mk1 - fantastic camera and noticeably slimmer.
Video? I can't tell the difference but then I'm just shooting the kids.....

Thanks for the reply. The tilting screen would be of use to me, wifi, evf im not to worried about. Ive seen some great videos recorded with the MKiii, very smooth. Image Stabilization looks great on it. Mainly just wondering if the MK1 has just as good IS.

Also does the MK1 support XAVC-S video and have the slow mo recording? Thanks.

The mk1 shoots at 50/60fps so technically yes, you can shoot at that speed then playback at 24/25 fps for smooth slo mo at roughly half speed, but it's not super slow mo. Get the mk4 for that, which can shoot at 1000fps which tbh I'm stunned by in such a package!

The mk1 shoots at 50/60fps so technically yes, you can shoot at that speed then playback at 24/25 fps for smooth slo mo at roughly half speed, but it's not super slow mo. Get the mk4 for that, which can shoot at 1000fps which tbh I'm stunned by in such a package!

I'd love the MK4 but its just the price!

Well I've just got me a RX100 III. I was worried that it might be a little small for my large hands but it's perfect and the quality this little thing packs is amazing. A worthy alternative to my 6D when I want to travel light. Can't wait for its first outing!

Well I've just got me a RX100 III. I was worried that it might be a little small for my large hands but it's perfect and the quality this little thing packs is amazing. A worthy alternative to my 6D when I want to travel light. Can't wait for its first outing!

I also was slightly worried about the small size being awkward to use so that is good to know! Look forward to getting one!

I also was slightly worried about the small size being awkward to use so that is good to know! Look forward to getting one!

The camera naked is just a touch too small for me but still acceptable. I'm using it with the official Sony case which makes it the perfect size. I also bought the hand grip but didn't fit it in the end as I like the case and can't use both together unfortunately.

The camera naked is just a touch too small for me but still acceptable. I'm using it with the official Sony case which makes it the perfect size. I also bought the hand grip but didn't fit it in the end as I like the case and can't use both together unfortunately.

Thats good to know. I planned on getting the grip as well, but would have to look at other case alternatives then if I plan to use it.

I've been trying out our Rx100 mk 1 on a family break in the lakes really pleased with it
Great image quality and easy to use
When I took portrait shots in auto it automatically took a second closer shot which was often better than the original one I had framed:D
I took my full dslr kit around Buttermere and at the end of it my back was killing me
When we went fell walking I couldn't face carrying it all and I took the RX100 so much easier and got some really nice shots :)

@LCPete
Not sure if you are joking or is this an actual feature??? :)
The only automatic portrait feature I had read about was the self-portrait timer setting - if this is a feature, where is the setting please?

@LCPete
Not sure if you are joking or is this an actual feature??? :)
The only automatic portrait feature I had read about was the self-portrait timer setting - if this is a feature, where is the setting please?

@LCPete

I just read the manual................... ;)

Its the Automatic Portrait Framing Feature:
When the camera detects and shoots a face, the captured image is automatically "trimmed" into its optimal composition. Both the original and trimmed images are recorded. The trimmed image is recorded in the same size as the original image.

@LCPete

When the camera detects and shoots a face, the captured image is automatically "trimmed" into its optimal composition. Both the original and trimmed images are recorded. The trimmed image is recorded in the same size as the original image.

Thats good to know!

Has anyone who bought one of these in the recent double cashback period actually received their cashback yet?

Submitted my claim on 4 September (along with proof of purchase) and other than the instant automated email from Sony I've heard nothing.

@LCPete

thanks lostsoul it works really well too it got the composition spot on in 3 out of 4 shots which is excellent
I haven't read the manual :D:D

Has anyone who bought one of these in the recent double cashback period actually received their cashback yet?

Submitted my claim on 4 September (along with proof of purchase) and other than the instant automated email from Sony I've heard nothing.

Not to sure, but a lot of cashback promotions usually say 21 days after purchase so maybe youll hear something around the 25th.

thanks lostsoul it works really well too it got the composition spot on in 3 out of 4 shots which is excellent
I haven't read the manual :D:D

Was not as successful in the self portrait timer mode, but can understand that as my arm due to an injury was wavering about.................. because of this I always struggle to take a decent selfie. ;)

I submitted my claim around the beginning of september.

I received my double cashback about a week ago.

Not to sure, but a lot of cashback promotions usually say 21 days after purchase so maybe youll hear something around the 25th.
Yeah, iirc it said it could take up to 28 days, I guess I was just curious as I know another guy who got his nearly immediately and by the sound of it (below) others have waited only a fortnight or so. I'm sure mine will come through soon

I submitted my claim around the beginning of september.

I received my double cashback about a week ago.
Cheers, hopefully mine won't be long

You do only have to press it once don't you?

On mine (the mk1 at least) it's a single press?

Unless I'm doing something wrong and releasing the shutter before it's taken all the frames? Wouldn't surprise me, I'll check later !

Last edited:
Ok, took me a while as the shutter is so quiet but yes, on my mk1 (with no custom function tweaking, so I guess as per straight out of the box?) one press shoots all three frames.

The different versions is a little confusing particularly as some are still on sale against bat the latest mk4.

Is there an easy reference table you can point me to that highlights the differences between the 4 versions?

Back