Sony RX100

How much sharper is say the RX100 IV lens over the Sony 16-50 kit lens? Would it perform better than the kit lens at higher ISO and something like F4? I know one is on a 1" sensor vs a larger sensor but thought I'd ask anyway.

A few snaps with my RX100i from a trip to London earlier this week

Hotel Corridor by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Week # 49 by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Lit Church by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Skyline Pano 2 by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Perspective by Jon Parry, on Flickr

River Buildings 2 by Jon Parry, on Flickr
Shame but a good opportunity to get a mk IV:)
I should have joined the RX100 club ages ago, this little beast puts my little Fuji X30 to shame. :D

That's interesting as I did look at a RX100 before I got my Fuji X30 but went for the Fuji due to viewfinder (I could not afford later RX100's ) and the Fuji does brilliant macro..... And I am very happy with the X30

So how does the RX100 put the X30 to shame out of interest

Just a lowly mk1 here mate - can't give any constructive argument as never owned the other camera
But sure someone will :)

Happy new year !

Thanks it was Tizer I was asking as he had said his RX100 put his X30 to shame..... I may well do but just curious how exactly. Maybe low light or something due to sensor size difference but my X30 does remarkable well for such a small sensor and its a lovely camera to use

:pint: Just grabbed a used rx100 M2 from av...really shouldnt have as mrs will kill me as just got an apple watch also!:jawdrop:

I got mine for £175 as there were couple of marks on screen seller hadnt noticed so kindly sent me partial refund and threw in some extra chargers etc.Bargain really.

Nice shot Jon and yes a very good price..well I thought it was lol. I believe he still has a mk1 for £120 although its got fair few marks on it still a bargain.

Not sure if it sold but someone was interested in it..maybe worth dropping the seller a pm on av to see if it sold.

Well made my mind up, I'm buying a Sony! After trawling through flicker I seen some amazing stuff captures with these beasts!

Now it's going to be either a second hand mk2 when one pops up or finance a mk3 and pay more than I should...

Thanks jon not much to follow at present as not had a camera for a while!..Hoping to add fair few images with the sony as i loved my last rx100

my wife got hers last week she is in love with it for casual shooting she even loves the video never thought she would but shes glued to the thing lol

Hello Sony RX100 I/II/III/IV owners,

I wonder how the RX100 II compares with the three other versions. What are its advantages and disadvantages. I have found an offer for it and am deciding whether to buy it or not.

I was in the same position as you the other day and went for it (mkii that is) My reasoning being it has the newer sensor than the 1, the 3 was around £200 more and to me the one big diference for going for that would be the EVF. Yes it is great and I would like to have the EVF but I couldn't justify the extra £££. Yes the 3 also has other benefits too but again I just couldn't justify the extra.

Either way you will be getting a great compact and I'm sure someone with more info on the 3 will be here to help you a bit more :)

Over the mk2, the 3 gains a quicker 1.8-2.8 lens but loses 30mm reach, gains EVF, gains built in nd filter, gains size and weight, loses a little battery life

The mk2 over the 1 gets wifi and a tilty screen, an extra 40g and a backside illuminated sensor for better low light performance

I have the 2 and it's extremely capable

I was in the same position as you the other day and went for it (mkii that is) My reasoning being it has the newer sensor than the 1, the 3 was around £200 more and to me the one big diference for going for that would be the EVF. Yes it is great and I would like to have the EVF but I couldn't justify the extra £££. Yes the 3 also has other benefits too but again I just couldn't justify the extra.

Either way you will be getting a great compact and I'm sure someone with more info on the 3 will be here to help you a bit more :)
My thoughts exactly

The other most obvious upgrade I knew I would forget, the Len has been upgraded. To be fair I would say this would be my biggest pull to the 3, having 1.8-2.8, again I just couldn't justify the cash just now.

Who knows I may end up with a 3 down the line depending on how I get on with my 2.

Back