Sony RX100

Hi everyone. This may be just the excuse I needed to upgrade to the MK IV but before i do can anyone help with a stuck lens on my MK I? It switches on as usual but the lens wont extend. Ive tried leaving the battery out for a few hours as someone suggested but no luck unfortunately. Any thing else i can try?

have you tried a reset ?

still amazed by the detail this camera captures - this is a crap photo with fill flash

george by damianmkv, on Flickr

I cant reset using the menu settings as cant see them due to message about needing to power off and power on again.

I have a horrible feeling this camera might have died.

I cant reset using the menu settings as cant see them due to message about needing to power off and power on again.

I have a horrible feeling this camera might have died.

Shame but a good opportunity to get a mk IV:)

Thanks both. Yeah, it was last hope to ask here before placing the order. :) but sad this little camera may have died, its been all over the world.

@Osmo - found this online, might be worth a go if all else is a loss (relating to the same issue you have);

"Put the camera switch in the Off position. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens, the problem should be easy to fix. This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was accidentally turned on while the lens is restricted.

Next, apply gentle pressure down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest. You should hear a "click" as it pops back into place. Try powering the camera on.

If the lens doesn't extend at all or it extends, and then retracts again, do the following. Turn the camera off. Take the camera in one hand and with the other gently take one part of the lens and gently move it round in a circular movement. Do so with both sections of the lens. You will hear a "click" as it pops back in place. Power the camera on.

Next, try to pull and twist on the largest ring of the lens while turning the camera on. Listen for a "click". If at first the focus seems to be off, turn the camera on and off and take lots of pictures, close ups and distance. Focus should slowly start improving."

Thanks odd jim. Gave it a try. Hasn't helped unfortunately. Also now have an error code. E:62:20 which i understand to mean an error with the lens. Gap all looks even between lens and surround. When i turn the camera on you can hear a half hearted servo or motor try to work. Thanks all for help but MK IV here i come! :)

Thanks odd jim. Gave it a try. Hasn't helped unfortunately. Also now have an error code. E:62:20 which i understand to mean an error with the lens. Gap all looks even between lens and surround. When i turn the camera on you can hear a half hearted servo or motor try to work. Thanks all for help but MK IV here i come! :)
Oh well, worth a go :)

Is the MK1 normally a reliable camera, or do some have lens issues? I would like to pick one up soon, as an in pocket carry around camera. Just a little short of cash at the moment, lots of bills :( . Will try and get one when I have some spare cash :)

Is the MK1 normally a reliable camera, or do some have lens issues? I would like to pick one up soon, as an in pocket carry around camera. Just a little short of cash at the moment, lots of bills :( . Will try and get one when I have some spare cash :)
There are no common issues with the mk1 (or others).

It's normally very reliable. Mine travelled the world with me and is still going strong :)

Its a great little camera jonbeeza, i think i was just unlucky with the lens problem. A few reports of this on the internets but shouldn't put you off. I fully intend to replace it with the MK IV.

Went to Jessops with every intention to buy the MK IV, ended up buying the MK III. A new camera, anyone would think it was Christmas soon!! :)

Went to Jessops with every intention to buy the MK IV, ended up buying the MK III. A new camera, anyone would think it was Christmas soon!! :)

Did you compare the two, or did you just decide on the III? I would be interested to know why you went for the one you did (as a IV owner myself)

Hi Glenn. It was a purely personal thing based on what i gave value too. Tried both but it essentially came down to not requiring 4k video and the additional expense associated. The enhanced EVF resolution and 16fps did make it a a very tricky decision but took the sensible route in the end!

Hi Glenn. It was a purely personal thing based on what i gave value too. Tried both but it essentially came down to not requiring 4k video and the additional expense associated. The enhanced EVF resolution and 16fps did make it a a very tricky decision but took the sensible route in the end!

Probably a great choice. I went for the IV because I'm a sucker for the latest stuff but the EVF is astonishing and a joy to use. Enjoy your RX III they are great cameras. Merry Christmas.

Thanks Glenn and a Merry Christmas to you. Almost went for the LX100, so close! :)

I fear that my mkI might be on the way out... Just used it for the first time in about a week and it is making a worrying whirring sound when the shutter is half pressed. Have tried with the stabilisation off and it still makes the same noise so I fear that might be an issue with the AF.

Just checked and there is no noise when set to MF :(

Last edited:
I fear that my mkI might be on the way out... Just used it for the first time in about a week and it is making a worrying whirring sound when the shutter is half pressed. Have tried with the stabilisation off and it still makes the same noise so I fear that might be an issue with the AF.

Just checked and there is no noise when set to MF :(
:( excuse to upgrade though!!

If I could afford to buy a mkIV I would jump at the chance/excuse but I fear any upgrade would only lead to a mkII at best. Might just dig out my Panasonic GM1 and use that while I save up a bit more. It is only slightly larger than the RX100 so is still just about pocketable.

I sold my GM1 because I Found that it wasn't pocketable, unless I used a body cap lens, but the quality of those lenses did no favours to the quality of the GM1 sensor. The RX100 really fits the bill and yes there is little difference in image quality between the mk1 and the mk IV .

DSC05492_zpszoufxvh5.jpg

DSC00085_zpslya079di.jpg

Reactions: WWA
I sold my GM1 because I Found that it wasn't pocketable, unless I used a body cap lens, but the quality of those lenses did no favours to the quality of the GM1 sensor. The RX100 really fits the bill and yes there is little difference in image quality between the mk1 and the mk IV .
Interesting you say that. I've owned a RX100 since it came out but recently GASed out on a Mkiii. On a standard phot I'd agree there is little difference. Where I have noticed a clear difference (and thus justified to myself the extra expense!!(-:) is on interior shots (at higher ISOs) of humans where the Mkiii is definitely much better in terms of skin tone, detail and overall IQ. Still nowhere near as good as m4/3 or APS-C to my eyes though.
I've just bought a Nikon Coolpix A (on a fantastic deal from Amazon) and for me it is better in every respect - and keeps the compact camera size. Well, every respect except video. Ok, and EVF, but I really can't see myself using that too often. It strikes me as being a vastly underrated beast. And now at a very affordable price.

I'm looking for a pocket camera for when the 5D III stays at home, I'm curious as to why the Sony RX100 models are rated so highly? I have been using a Canon G1X MkII which gives good results but still not the best for noise at low ISO's even though it has a 1 1/2 inch sensor and its a heavy beast to have in your jacket pocket.
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...us-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-II___978_941_896
I've been contemplating getting a RX100 maybe version II or III but I've been running comparisons on DXO Mark and it scores lower than a Canon G7X which as more DR and has touch screen as well.

so is it better in the field or is it ergonomics or what is so good about this camera?

I'm looking for a pocket camera for when the 5D III stays at home, I'm curious as to why the Sony RX100 models are rated so highly? I have been using a Canon G1X MkII which gives good results but still not the best for noise at low ISO's even though it has a 1 1/2 inch sensor and its a heavy beast to have in your jacket pocket.
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...us-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-II___978_941_896
I've been contemplating getting a RX100 maybe version II or III but I've been running comparisons on DXO Mark and it scores lower than a Canon G7X which as more DR and has touch screen as well.

so is it better in the field or is it ergonomics or what is so good about this camera?

For me, simply the output, it's stunning for such a small camera. No way would I think the below photos could come from a compact smaller than my phone (I've posted more in this thread).

211 by -Odd Jim-

8 by -Odd Jim-

93 by -Odd Jim-

...and those are from the mk1.

Ignore DXO scores, on the whole they're meaningless b*****ks.

That said if you have a G1xii, you should be getting pretty good results from that?

Last edited:
I'd agree that it is the results from such a small package that make the rx100 such a great camera. I have been through a few cameras and before I had the Sony I had used a couple of Fujis (x20 and xf1) and a Canon G1X but none quite hit the mark for me. My favourite had been the g1x which gave superb image quality but it was clumsy to use and I found it annoying. The RX100 ticked all the boxes, a truly pocketable camera which is easy to use and turns out great images.

Having started to read reviews of the the mkIV I am wishing I hadn't as it sounds like an amazing camera but buying one would wipe out the savings which I had earmarked for a new macro lens. Having compared my RX100 to a friends it seems that the noise I was hearing might well be normal after all. Seems that a few weeks of not using it meant I had forgotten that the focus sound was like it is... Tempted to flog it and upgrade anyway!

I've been reading a little about the RX100's and there's reports about an inherent fault with early versions where they are quite noisy, and the mk II isn't as sharp as the mk I, also there's lots of 2nd hand mk lll's for sale on Amazon & Ebay which makes me think unhappy owners getting rid of them. And the mk iv is over expensive, it's CSC DSLR money.

I've been reading a little about the RX100's and there's reports about an inherent fault with early versions where they are quite noisy, and the mk II isn't as sharp as the mk I, also there's lots of 2nd hand mk lll's for sale on Amazon & Ebay which makes me think unhappy owners getting rid of them. And the mk iv is over expensive, it's CSC DSLR money.
I've not heard of these inherent faults?

My mk1 is pretty silent, all you can hear is the shutter :)

I'm pretty sure there was a recent firmware update for RX100 which reduced the noise of the focus system.......

I'm pretty sure there was a recent firmware update for RX100 which reduced the noise of the focus system.......
Never updated mine!

I should have joined the RX100 club ages ago, this little beast puts my little Fuji X30 to shame. :D

If it is of interest to any RX100 owners, I asked Santa for a case to protect my MkIV, this is it. Its called the Manhattan Portage Small Camera Case and costs about £23. It has a carabiner and a belt loop. It is secured shut with velcro.

casea_zpsoynzuvrv.jpg

caseb_zpsxmqxug9q.jpg

Last edited:
Back