Sony RX100

Last edited:
Does anyone here use and external viewfinder with the RX100 early models and if so is it a help framing shots ?

I'm struggling just using the screen on my MK2 and dont have the cash to upgrade at the moment.

Cheers

I got the OH a Sony A5100 for X-mas but it seems to be unloved when going out over her Fuji XF1 that was smaller and went everywhere with her. Would trading it in for a RX100 III/IV be a good move to capture weekly snaps/video of our little one? I have got used to the fast AF, Touch and good video mode over the last month but it's not being used for it's intended purpose by the OH. I wanted to get some primes also but don't want a dual system and hearing complaints on more kit!

I can't speck for the iii/iv but for me moving from a 5D1 + 24-70 2.8 to the mkii, I have taken more photos in the last 4 days on the Sony than I have in the last 4 months on the Canon! If it is size/weight/pocket-ability I would go for it, the image quality out of these things to me is un-real... surprisingly for such a small bit of kit!

@mata.morrison the fast kid shot is impressive given the conditions you mention. I was after something similar to capture those candid moments as they usually play up in-front of bigger kit. Shooting at 1/30 seems to have captured it without major issue. Trying to keep them still is usually impossible. Do you notice any major distortion shooting at the wide angle?

I have just seen a M2 for sale but still debating the M3 and Canon G7x for a little bit more for the same purposes.

Thanks! Yes I think I just caught it if the shutter was any slower I'm sure it would have been a write off. I still haven't figured out all the settings but it seems that 1600 iso is the max unless you manually boost it to 3200. Either way I am well happy with it, especially glad I went with the ii as I will make use of the hotshoe mount with my Yongnuo triggers.

@mata.morrison what mode were you shooting in? I am surprised the max auto iso is 1600. How do the Yongnuo triggers work with the ii? I did see something like this that might work with the ii if wanted to go down that route. I also have a SB-700 for my Nikon.

How good is the video on the ii? Does it capture candid moments well?

I was shooting in aperture priority mode, I'm guessing going my by DSRL settings there must be a max auto ISO function (any ideas guys? I don't have the camera on me) Sorry that link isn't working, I have the YN 602s's linked below, one half attaches to the flash shoe and the other to the camera shoe, take a shot and it triggers the flash, flash settings will be manual through this system as it doesn't have ettl.

I can't be sure of the video, only had the camera a week or so and never used it, from reviews I have heard it is good though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-RF-...432993&sr=8-7&keywords=yongnuo+flash+triggers

Video is very good on the rx100.

Thanks! Yes I think I just caught it if the shutter was any slower I'm sure it would have been a write off. I still haven't figured out all the settings but it seems that 1600 iso is the max unless you manually boost it to 3200. Either way I am well happy with it, especially glad I went with the ii as I will make use of the hotshoe mount with my Yongnuo triggers.

You can set min and max auto ISO on the RX100. It has a max of 12,800 too.

Last edited:
Gr8 cams these was lucky enough to pick up a mkii from local lie a few weeks back v impressive

I'm still trying to decide which high end compact to go for, my choices at the mo are the Sony RX100-III, Canon G7x and Canon G5x, I keep swapping back and forth between them :facepalm: Is it possible to set the RX100-III up for back button focussing, ie set one of the buttons off the back to focus and thus disabling the shutter button from focussing but still controlling exposure lock and the actual shutter release? This could help me to decide.

Cheers.

Sorry, I'm sure this will be covered somewhere in this thread but after a quick skim through I couldn't find any info, but can anyone recommend a case for the RX100-III that adds as little bulk as possible please? I like the look of the LCJ-RXF but I'm not prepared to pay £60.

I asked this on the Mark I thread as I'd not realised there were two RX100 threads running.

I've just bought the Mark III and was wondering which aperture folk find is the sweet spot at 24 and 70mm? Also what do folk tend to use for landscapes? I use f8-11 generally on my D750, and occasionally f16-22 if I want the sunburst/starburst effect, but I imagine I could use much larger apertures on the RX100 so would imagine it'd be in the f4-5.6 range? At what aperture does significant diffraction become an issue?

Back