Sony RX100

Well reluctantly put my MK2 up for sale in the classifieds but if it doesnt sell I wont be too fussed!

The Lighthouse, Glasgow with a Mk IV

DSC00748-Edit_zpszem8bzky.jpg

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of an RX100 to replace my Ricoh GR, and I'm just wondering which one to get. I shoot mainly documentary and street photography. I was wondering if you could help me with some questions. Apologies if this has already been covered.

1. I'm led to believe that the UI improvements of the M3 are worth paying the extra for over the M2. What are your experiences? Has there been any firmware updates to the M2 to make the UI better? I liked the quick menu on the A7 where you had two rows of custom menu items at the click of a button, I believe the M3 is the same setup.
  2. On the ricoh I love the way the Auto-Hi Iso works. Set a desired shutter speed and max iso and the camera raises the iso to maintain the desired shutter speed until it reaches the upper limit you set, then it drops the shutter speed to maintain the correct exposure. Is there anything similar on the RX100? I know when I had an A7 I used manual mode with auto iso to get a similar effect, but once the iso maxed out I'd end up with underexposed shots.
  3. On the M3, does closing the viewfinder still shut the camera down, or has this been fixed in firmware? This seems like it would get annoying pretty quickly as I'd use the LCD most of the time, and only need the viewfinder in bright light - which doesn't occur too often in these parts!
  4. Is there a fast way to toggle between MF and AF? And when you switch from MF to AF and back again, will the camera remember the MF distance or do you need to set it again? If it's anything like the Ricoh then the MF distance gets overridden by the previous AF distance when you switch back.

Matt

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of an RX100 to replace my Ricoh GR, and I'm just wondering which one to get. I shoot mainly documentary and street photography. I was wondering if you could help me with some questions. Apologies if this has already been covered.

1. I'm led to believe that the UI improvements of the M3 are worth paying the extra for over the M2. What are your experiences? Has there been any firmware updates to the M2 to make the UI better? I liked the quick menu on the A7 where you had two rows of custom menu items at the click of a button, I believe the M3 is the same setup.
  2. On the ricoh I love the way the Auto-Hi Iso works. Set a desired shutter speed and max iso and the camera raises the iso to maintain the desired shutter speed until it reaches the upper limit you set, then it drops the shutter speed to maintain the correct exposure. Is there anything similar on the RX100? I know when I had an A7 I used manual mode with auto iso to get a similar effect, but once the iso maxed out I'd end up with underexposed shots.
  3. On the M3, does closing the viewfinder still shut the camera down, or has this been fixed in firmware? This seems like it would get annoying pretty quickly as I'd use the LCD most of the time, and only need the viewfinder in bright light - which doesn't occur too often in these parts!
  4. Is there a fast way to toggle between MF and AF? And when you switch from MF to AF and back again, will the camera remember the MF distance or do you need to set it again? If it's anything like the Ricoh then the MF distance gets overridden by the previous AF distance when you switch back.

Matt
1. Yes it has a similar quick menu button, and you can customise the functions in this menu
2. There is no way (at least that I found) to set the min shutter speed which is a big omission imo. A work around is to just use manual with auto ISO.
3. Yes it does, and yes it's annoying
4. Yes, I set up one of the clickable options on the rear control dial to toggle AF/MF.

Thanks for the fast response, do you know if the M2 has the same quick menu button?

The mk2 has a Fn button that allows quick access to the menus if that's what you mean ?

I meant specifically the quick access menu where there are two rows of icons that allow fast access to settings. On the m3 these can be customised.

Thanks for that. Think the M3 will be the one I go for then unless this has been changed by a firmware update.

Thanks for that. Think the M3 will be the one I go for then unless this has been changed by a firmware update.

I would go for the MK3, simply because it's a faster lens.

I would go for the MK3, simply because it's a faster lens.
Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have recommendations for a thin pocket pouch that doesnt add any bulk to the camera? I'm thinking something like a microfiber drawstring bag, something to keep the dust/lint at bay when it's in my pocket.

Hi all,

Matt
2. I believe the iv version has this capability (at last)
3. I had a iii for a while. With practise you can close the viewfinder and press the on/off button at the same time - this will shut the camera down. Takes a bit of practice but when sussed it works every time.

Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have recommendations for a thin pocket pouch that doesnt add any bulk to the camera? I'm thinking something like a microfiber drawstring bag, something to keep the dust/lint at bay when it's in my pocket.
Not quite what you're looking for as it adds a tiny bit of bulk, but the Loewpro Dashpoint 10 fits the rX100 well and has great attachments.

Dont suppose someone could do me a favour and send me some high ISO raw files? Say 1600, 3200, 6400? I want to see what the noise is like.

Or is JPG the preferred option? I downloaded some sample RAWs and they are a LOT noisier than my Ricoh GR at high iso but it's hard to tell when all I'm seeing is sample shots of a bookcase.

Last edited:
Dont suppose someone could do me a favour and send me some high ISO raw files? Say 1600, 3200, 6400? I want to see what the noise is like.

Or is JPG the preferred option? I downloaded some sample RAWs and they are a LOT noisier than my Ricoh GR at high iso but it's hard to tell when all I'm seeing is sample shots of a bookcase.
The GR will be a lot better at high ISO, it's an APS-C sized sensor vs a 1" type sensor. I found over ISO 1600 on the RX100 noise was getting pretty unbearable, but then I am used to using FF ;)

Here's the RAW of a high ISO (3200) test shot I did (don't expect a great photo, was literally just testing ISO capabilities ;))
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0oe3oyr65wgkom/DSC00015.ARW?dl=0

Thanks @snerkler and @Glenn Surtees for that. They don't look too bad actually, I would use them anyway. I process all my shots with VSCO presets which add a decent amount of grain anyway so I don't mind a bit of noise. It's the dreaded psychedelic colour noise I can't stand.

Some more raws revisited and processed from last years trip, New Zealand. I love going back through the raws and finding stuff, going through my Vietnam raws again now :) ;

39 by Jim, on Flickr

35 by Jim, on Flickr

21 by Jim, on Flickr

29 by Jim, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some lovely scenery there Jim. Would love to go.
Would recommend it, stunning place! Only two countries have blown my mind, NZ and Iceland. I'd love to live in either!

New to the compact stuff and new to Sony, just splashed out on the Rx100 IV as i've got some interesting trips coming up and i dont want to lug my DSLR's around with me.
Its a complicated bugger made even more so by the lack of a decent manual.
What are your opinions on either of these?

https://www.friedmanarchives.com/RX-100MK4/index.htm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographe...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1456247117&sr=8-1

is one worth 4 times the other in digital format?

Cheers for the input

Darren

I bought the Alexander White kindle edition, I find it useful but difficult to navigate on my iPad.

Back