Sony RX100

Has anyone had any issues with dust on the sensor with the RX100? I have a Ricoh GR which is a lovely size for a pocket and bloody love it, but it's let me down with dust getting into its innards. For me it's pointless having a pocket camera if you can't just chuck it in your pocket. I don't mind keeping it in a thin pocket case, but I don't want to add any bulk and I don't want to have to pay extra care to keeping it free of dust. I have a mate who's got an RX100 and swears by it after being plagued by dust with ricoh and fuji cameras, but I just wanted to get the thoughts of a wider audience.

nope never had any dust whatsoever and its not a reported issue of the rx100 series

No probs with mine either.

A few more with the Mk IV

DSC00240_zpslooqkolr.jpg

DSC00261-Edit-2_zps19ulbvmq.jpg

DSC00522_edited-1_zpsqskc5z6l.jpg

DSC00625_edited-1_zpshrw6g2tr.jpg

Can you reverse the ring and rear wheel settings in Manual mode? I'd like to use the wheel for aperture and the ring for shutter speed, but cannot see how to do that unless I change the ring function to be permanently shutter speed in all modes. I may have missed how to do this in the manual.

Thanks

I'm sort of learning towards a mkiii.

Do they come with a proper separate charger as standard or is it a charge in the camera only? The quoted battery life is a bit on the poor side so I also wondered whether you can charge them from a car accessory socket as you generally can with phones? I've got a usb chargery thing for the car. What charge rate is it and how long does a battery typically take to charge from say 20% to 100%? If it's 1A or under it should be ok for in car charging.

Are there any decent after market chargers? I have had Ex pro ones but they're not much good at all. It needs to be OEM quality really.

Decided against in the end. Best second hand was £429 and battery life is too poor. The lure of the classic chrome with a fuji X30 was too much :)
I get loads of life out of my battery, when I was travelling I didn't have to change them out in the field, even though I had spares, easily 300-400 images per battery.

Decided against in the end. Best second hand was £429 and battery life is too poor. The lure of the classic chrome with a fuji X30 was too much :)

Battery life not that bad, I rarely have to pop my spare in, also surely the classic chrome look can be achieved in post. X30 is a nice camera, I've got an XE2 - my RX100m3 suits another need though, maximum portability with great image quality.

I went off the CIPA guide. It's just a lot fewer shots for the sony. It's probably plenty but I'd rather have spare capacity than be annoyed by batteries going flat.

I don't mind carrying a couple of spare batteries. Although the x30 is a sexy looking camera it's much bigger and has a smaller sensor. If all of your shooting is outdoors this won't be much of an issue. I guess you can always use the flash for indoor shots. To each their own I guess.

Oh dear, my MkIV has suffered a recurrence of the battery drain issue that resulted in a return to Sony in November which took several weeks to fix. It's going back again. Grrrrr.
I would get a refund if it's not too late. If they can't fix it once...

Oh dear, my MkIV has suffered a recurrence of the battery drain issue that resulted in a return to Sony in November which took several weeks to fix. It's going back again. Grrrrr.

Sorry to hear this and i really enjoyed your review of the fuji x100t

I would get a refund if it's not too late. If they can't fix it once...

Because I bought it in the USA they (Sony UK) wont replace it. Grrr...Anyway, they've got it back and their repairs are guaranteed for 90 days so they should just sort it out.

Sorry to hear this and i really enjoyed your review of the fuji x100t

Thanks - lovely little camera the X100T, though now replaced with a Leica M > review here.

i had a similar lunchtime walk except there was nothing to shoot apart from 3 daffs

Can anyone suggest a soft zip up case for the RX100 (mk 1) please? Don;t fancy the official leather one.

Last edited:
Back