Sony RX100

Name
adrian
Edit My Images
No
I have decided to take the plunge and order the Sony RX100 as a replacement for my FUJI X10. I have managed to get one from Amazon spain delivered to the uk for the price of £372 pounds including delivery. A massive saving on the standard uk price. The price includes two day delivery as well.

It should be here monday or tuesday,i will update with some pictures after i receive it.

link please! I can't find it was it a one off?

Last edited:
Saw this mentioned on dpreview..very good price indeed. Quite tempted by this little camera myself at the mo.

Well...

Firstly everything is based on the high (I feel) UK street price.

Its got a f1.8 lens, great, but it very quickly jumps up in aperture and shooting that wide and so wide a focal length only serves as extra light and could make wide shots look slightly odd. I can't help but to think this was a very good marketing strategy.

Lack of hot shoe.

And those two are more than enough to stop me buying and liking for the price. If it was £150 less (at least)...I would think about it but for now, nothing beats my x10 :)

Have you tried one out yet?..I wouldnt mind having a play.

I have and apart from the aperture which jumps up quite quickly, I think it's a cool piece of kit...just too expensive for the things that are missing IMO.

Is has quick focusing and the lens is very good. For me it didn't feel incredibly comfortably but it is a compact.

It has good ISO performance but you would be shooting at higher ISO’s due to the slow lens.

I'd much prefer worse ISO performance but a faster lens.

X10 all the way ;)

Well...

Firstly everything is based on the high (I feel) UK street price.

Its got a f1.8 lens, great, but it very quickly jumps up in aperture and shooting that wide and so wide a focal length only serves as extra light and could make wide shots look slightly odd. I can't help but to think this was a very good marketing strategy.

Lack of hot shoe.

And those two are more than enough to stop me buying and liking for the price. If it was £150 less (at least)...I would think about it but for now, nothing beats my x10 :)
It's the same high price the x10 was on release. It will soon be down to the same price as the x10 as it must be its biggest competitor.

Over €600 to buy in Dublin stores. Shocking! I had my eye on one as a spare pocket cam too, but not at that price. The Fuji x10 can be got for €439 on amazon.

Can someone list the main pros and cons of both?

Last edited:
Cagey75 said:
Over €600 to buy in Dublin stores. Shocking! I had my eye on one as a spare pocket cam too, but not at that price. The Fuji x10 can be got for €439 on amazon.

Can someone list the main pros and cons of both?

I got mine online from jessops for £330 (jessops).

From me as an x10 owner:

X10 pros:

Manual zoom.
Bright lens throughout zoom.
Incredible quality.
All the main controls you need.
Hot shoe.
Optical VF (albeit very basic)
Top shutter of 1/4000th

X10 cons:
Can't set manual flash power.
Top shutter speed of 1/1000th in aperture priority mode limiting use of wide apertures in bright sunlight.

Cheers. It wouldn't be just for me, thinking on getting either or for the missus so she can come along on shoots with me. And of course I can then rob it for local gigs or when i just don't want to lug the big bag around for street shoots.

The brighter lens throughout the zoom sounds more ideal for gigs. How is the ISO performance? 1600/3200

:LOL: me too...just havent got 500 quid spare unless I sell the dslr..:cautious:

Stuart yes i know what you mean :) i havent told the wife yet either that i have another camera turning up next week. Hopefully a chinese takeaway may smooth things over a little.

todders said:
I have decided to take the plunge and order the Sony RX100 as a replacement for my FUJI X10. I have managed to get one from Amazon spain delivered to the uk for the price of £372 pounds including delivery. A massive saving on the standard uk price. The price includes two day delivery as well.

It should be here monday or tuesday,i will update with some pictures after i receive it.

Wow, what a price, I would have caved in at this price

I like Steve Huff's reviews, although he does seem to love most things so I take it with a pinch of salt.

Likewise his reviews are pretty in depth and enjoyable..could be worse could be Rockwell..:LOL:

Mine should arrive any day. I ordered it from Panamoz and paid £420 with postage. The biggest thing that attracted me was the fast AF (I have a fast moving 4 year old). I had a Canon s100 (Just sold it on ebay) and it was great but the slow AF and crap battery weren't.
No other cameras interest me because it has to fit in my trouser pocket.

Mine should arrive any day. I ordered it from Panamoz and paid £420 with postage. The biggest thing that attracted me was the fast AF (I have a fast moving 4 year old). I had a Canon s100 (Just sold it on ebay) and it was great but the slow AF and crap battery weren't.
No other cameras interest me because it has to fit in my trouser pocket.

That's exactly why I like the RX100 as well (bought one on release), I was using a GF3 and 14-42mm X latterly as my pocket camera as that's the smallest mirrorless zoom combination with IS (I think) but even that's still quite bulky. It's extremely impressive Sony have managed to pack a pretty big sensor (compared to the S100/LX7) etc. into something that will easily fit in a pocket and is still F1.8 at the wide end. I find other cameras like the X10 too large, once it's bigger than pocket sized I prefer taking the D700 if I'm taking a separate bag anyway.

John

Just a quick update apparently it has landed at east midlands Airport this morning and they did honour the original price including two day delivery of £372.00. Iam hoping to get out to cambridge next week and derbyshire to the in laws so hopefully will have an opportunity to test the camera out.

Last edited:
rjbell said:
Strange comment? If the rx100 is over priced so was the x10.

How do you work that one out? Are they exactly the same type of camera?!

Yours is a strange comment.

The rx100 is overpriced (for me) based on what you get and what I'm looking for.

The X10 wouldn't have been (for me) based on what you get and what I'm looking for.

What is this like at f/1.8? A reviewer who is testing it is saying stop it down to f/5.6 to overcome the poor lens performance which I found surprising.

The rx-100 has finally arrived from Amazon es,it seems superbly built and a little heavier than i thought it would be as well. The menus seems very well thought out,especially with all of the available shortcuts. It s going to take me a number of days to read through the online tome of the manual 248 pages in all. Now all i need to do is get out and take some pictures hopefully will be tomorrow as i have a week off from work. :)

Mine arrived today. I've only taken about 40 photos so far but in my short time with it, i'd say the image quality seems pretty similar to the Canon S100 but the AF speed is so much quicker and that was one thing that annoyed me about S100.
I just have to remember to use fill-flash for backlit subjects, otherwise they come out dark. Or maybe change the metering mode?

A few test shots of the sony rx100,the light was not brilliant but seemed to struggle outdoors a little. Iam off to cambridge tomorrow so hopefully i will have more of an idea of it capabilities. No post processing JPEGS straight from camera in aperture only mode.

Test Shots Only Sony RX100 by jones_adrian1, on Flickr

The 4th shot looks like it wasn't metered properly but the lighting differences in the scene are a real test for most cameras metering systems unless they have great dynamic range. Apart from needing a bit of a colour boost, I can't really see anything wrong with the others though and the bokeh in the 3rd is quite nice.

Back