Sony RX100

From my ZV-1 a couple of weeks back.
To be honest I feel it's not quite as good with stills as my RX100v there's often just a bit more smearing NR or soft focus round the edge of the frame and distant objects - most noticeable with trees.
Colours are slightly different too but it's just getting used to it really, you can get nice enough shots like this.

Classic view of Hutton-le-Hole on Flickr

Shameless plug, I have just put a for sale ad in the classifieds if anyone is looking for a mk 4 or a Smallrig cage for their mk 6/7

Just got myself an RX100Va. I'm looking to get a filter adapter and filters, but it looks like the adapter, when fitted, would foul on the base plate of a Gorillapod.

Could anyone confirm if this is the case or not, please?

TIA

Hi - Looking for a Sony RX 100/6. Not sure what they are going for used.
Cheers,
Sean

Hi Sean,

No idea what they go for, but it looks like a number of people have been looking for the RX100 models but no joy. Looking on like both Park Camera and MBP have one. The one at Park is shown as new so not sure if this is any good for you:

Hi Sean,

No idea what they go for, but it looks like a number of people have been looking for the RX100 models but no joy. Looking on like both Park Camera and MBP have one. The one at Park is shown as new so not sure if this is any good for you:

Kev,

Thanks for the reply. Slightly more than than my budget, which is why I’m hoping someone on here is looking to move one on.

There's a firmware update for the ZV-1 dated yesterday ( 2.0 )
There's some new capability to use as a webcam and other unspecified tweaks to help stability of the operating system.
I have done without problems it takes about 5 minutes, not noticed any changes yet.

I’ve just Purchased a MK6 and it’s on its way from MBP, so no longer looking, thanks.

Last edited:
.I’ve just Purchased a MK6 and it’s on its way from MBP, so no longer looking, thanks.

That's a positive "Result" in my book Sean, they're an extremely good bit of kit, congrats & Enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks, George. My only concern is losing the low light ability that my MK4 had. Plus no ND filter.

Low light ability is the only thing I miss really, but you still have f2.8 at 24mm and I found moving from mk4 to mk6 that the extra lens reach and the superb AF more than makes up for it. It will track just about anything.
Which better suits my style of photography as I was getting frustrated at just 70mm focal range

Low light ability is the only thing I miss really, but you still have f2.8 at 24mm and I found moving from mk4 to mk6 that the extra lens reach and the superb AF more than makes up for it. It will track just about anything.
Which better suits my style of photography as I was getting frustrated at just 70mm focal range

Thanks for the reply, Simon. The extra reach is my main reason for upgrading too.

Thanks, George. My only concern is losing the low light ability that my MK4 had. Plus no ND filter.

I too was looking at the RX100, but in the end I opted for the Fuji XF10 but at f2.8 at 28mm it is not ideal for low light indoor photos. But I simply use the Canon G7X for low light indoor photos, f1.8 at 24mm and it does have an ND filter, so it makes it an ideal compact.

Sean, I personally have had no problems with regards to low light shots though in fairness I do like to try and give my snaps a film look to them so a bit of noise doesn't bother me. As for the ND filter I just carry a small one with me and hold it in front of the lens on the few occasions that I have needed one, same with a polarising filter.

A couple of little tips that you may find useful that I also do :- When I first had my M6 I noticed that after a few applications of releasing the EVF to its operating position using the catch on the side of the camera I noticed that the diopter adjustment was drifting out of the my personal setting and needed re-setting, so I checked some reviews and found that this does happen and that Its all to do with the speed that the EVF springs up and into the operating position. So what I did was to put a tiny bit of Blue-Tac each side of the little adjusting lever and it cured the problem. As an added precaution when I use the release catch I also cushion the the EVF with one of my fingers.

The other thing that I found which is a more to my personal way of working is I kept having problems locating the shutter button when the camera was to my eye, so what I did was to get a very small black shirt button and attach it to the shutter button once again using a small amount of Blu-Tac making it much easier to feel where the shutter button is when not looking.

Last edited:
George - Thanks for the reply and listing these workaround, really helpful. I was reading about the diopter movement this morning, but no-one seemed to have used your genius solution. Similarly the shutter button, which I had not considered, so I’ll be digging out my Blu-Tac.
I feel more relaxed about the low light and ND issues now I’ve done some research and read your comment. Most of my video work is indoors, so less of a concern with the ND. Lowlight I’ll increase my ISO, like yourself, I don’t mind a bit of noise.
I am looking forward to having a bit more reach, the quality looks great at 200.

Sean, I didn't know you were into Video as well which is something that I do quite a bit of with my M6 & RX10M4 together with an iPhone I've had some really good results. For the M6 I also use a "Crane M2" gimbal which gives some really good stabilisation under moving conditions and shots that I couldn't possibly get without it.

The optical quality on both of the RX cameras that I have is nothing short of outstanding at any focal length by any standard with the sharpness peaking at around the F4-F5.6 apertures. I guess you've guessed by now that I'm a huge fan of these little M6 cameras and I'm really looking forward to the M8 being released with rumours that two models are possible both with new sensors and one with a new long lens that also operates as wide as 20mm equivalent in FF terms and its also rumoured to have a hot shoe.

I'd be really interested to see some of your shot's etc with your new M6.

If you are using your RX100/ZV-1 for video you might consider this Picture Profile which does a decent imitation of the new s-cinetone option in firmware for the A7Siii and the Sony cine cameras.
Essential it gives you a nice contrasty cinematic look straight from camera so during editing little or no tweaking of colours is required.

If you have Cine4 there's a more recent video with slightly revised settings listed, if you only have Cine2 go with this.
Like the real cinetone just expose at 0.0 or even -0.3/-0.7 there is no need to ETTR it is better to preserve highlights if anything but see what suits you.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxzgMkVjKo4

Last edited:
I'd be really interested to see some of your shot's etc with your new M6.

Hey, George. Sorry for not replying sooner, I didn’t get any notification.
Thanks for the info, really useful. The thing is, I got buyers remorse and returned it to MPB !
it seems crazy, as I had been wanting the 6 for at least a year. The 200 lens was great and the speed was top notch.
But I couldn’t justify the expense, so asked for my 4 to be retuned. I actually missed it. Daft, but it’s bashed up so I’m comfortable
chucking It in my bag and taking it to my studio ( I’m an illustrator, and use lots of messy stuff ).
I‘ll look at my options again later in the year, as I really like these cameras. I wasn’t aware there was an 8 on the way.
probably more info thanyou needed, a good cure for insomnia :)

Just a simple tourist close up type Snapograph taken at Kent UK of a pile of Oyster Shells that have had the Oysters removed.
I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the texture.

Sony-RX, 1/1000th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld.
Oyster Shells-03516 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

Just a simple tourist type Snapograph taken at Canterbury Kent UK of the main gate tower to the Cathedral.
Nothing I could do about the converging verticals as my back was already against buildings opposite, and correcting them in PP would amount to loosing too much of the architecture that I wanted to keep in the snap.

Sony-RX, 1/250th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Wide Angle Attachment, Handheld.
Cathedral Main Gate Tower-03522 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

9CFF4E93-9480-4E98-8518-4B978FFDF314.jpeg

Good morning

Actual sunrise this morning, which is nice. I’ve been busy with projects so not posted much over the last year. Still using a 4 after a brief dabble with the 6.
Will Attempt to post a bit more and really enjoy seeing everyone else’s work.
Have a good weekend.

Afternoon at Hay Bluff.
The foal had the most amazing blue eyes. The shot of the foals head is a big crop as I didn't want to get too close. Having said that it approached me. The ponies were getting to the salt in the green bin and looked like they had kicked a hole in the bin itself.
Hay Bluff by Paul, on Flickr

The last one I thought you had added a starburst over the eye but it has half white lashes from adjacent colouring - very striking and unusual.
Those plastic bins supposed to keep salt dry and not spread about all over (it is toxic to vegetation) soon degrade and go brittle with UV - there are bits of them scattered everywhere round here.

Last edited:
A few of shots from the Brecon Beacons.., Someone's hound photo bombed my shot but is a welcome addition.

Pen Y Fan hike. by Paul, on Flickr
Now that made me smile.....I though s/he was your pooch.

A pity about the cut off paw and I wonder what it would 'look' like if you cloned out all the other walkers on the track, to increase the feeling of 'aloneness' and having the 4 legged companion as company?

Now that made me smile.....I though s/he was your pooch.

A pity about the cut off paw and I wonder what it would 'look' like if you cloned out all the other walkers on the track, to increase the feeling of 'aloneness' and having the 4 legged companion as company?
I woud have taken the time to cone out the other walkers but "cutting" the paw of sort of spoiled it for me.

Last edited:
Back