Stevesc's 52 for 2017 - week 32, 33 & 34 added

As already said, very good idea to add the peppercorns Steve . I don't mind looking through the 3 oof's inh the fg to get to the point of focus ... makes the viewer work the image, makes it less ordinary too.

It's a great take on mineral. Well lit, dof (i don't mind the oof pepper corns in the fg) and i like whatever you have used to sit it all on. (y)

As already said, very good idea to add the peppercorns Steve . I don't mind looking through the 3 oof's inh the fg to get to the point of focus ... makes the viewer work the image, makes it less ordinary too.
Looks really nice on that black base. I really like the peppercorns, it definitely adds to the image. Looks like they are bouncing off the base when you just glance at it. Nice.
It's a great take on mineral. Well lit, dof (i don't mind the oof pepper corns in the fg) and i like whatever you have used to sit it all on. (y)

Cheers (y), the base was a slate tablemat, worked better than I thought it would initially.

Great idea and well executed. I agree with those who would put the three OOF peppercorns to the back. I wonder if slightly tighter crop the cuts out the foreground a bit might work even better...

Great idea and well executed. I agree with those who would put the three OOF peppercorns to the back. I wonder if slightly tighter crop the cuts out the foreground a bit might work even better...

Thanks, I have wondered about a tighter crop myself, may give it a go when I'm home.

Tighter crop i feel improves it slightly has a little more detail coming through

Tighter crop i feel improves it slightly has a little more detail coming through
I like the crop better, taking out some of the foreground makes it a stronger shot I think. Great texture on the peppercorns :)

Thanks, I tend to agree that the cropped shot is a bit stronger as it emphasises the detail. I still like the space in the first as well though.

Week 6 - Whole

This weeks shot is not one I'm particularly keen on but I'm short of time as it's half term and kids/family come first and I didn't want to get behind. The idea was a whole puzzle but it was a bit plain with all the pieces in place so settled on this arrangement, maybe the focus should have been on the front misplaced piece but I felt that took even further away from the link to whole.. Anyway, on to next week...

Whole by Steve, on Flickr

Looks good to me Steve. Good choice and I do like the off kilter composition

A good minimal prop ... might look good backlit, cellotapped to a window with the sun behind. I used to collect Autumn leaves and photograph them like that.

Yeah, my patience lasts just about for a 24 piece jigsaw too...

Nice contrasting colours, I maybe would prefer a tad deeper DoF and the first jigsaw piece on the bottom right to be in focus.

i like it. i love the texture on the table, it adds real contrast to the scene and is not too dark to spoil the subject.
Looks good to me Steve. Good choice and I do like the off kilter composition
A good minimal prop ... might look good backlit, cellotapped to a window with the sun behind. I used to collect Autumn leaves and photograph them like that.
Nice contrast there.

Yeah, I tend to prefer the front to be in focus.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated (y)

Nice idea to have the plain side of the jigsaw - no distractions. The dof works for me here and I really like the light fall off.

Thanks, I really had to do it that way up as it was one of the kids Octonauts puzzles so was rather bright!

Yeah, my patience lasts just about for a 24 piece jigsaw too...

Nice contrasting colours, I maybe would prefer a tad deeper DoF and the first jigsaw piece on the bottom right to be in focus.

I could have chosen a 9 piece puzzle or even a couple of 3 piece ones :D.

Good choice for Whole Steve. I like the dof and the lighting is spot on. The contrast in colours and textures works well too.

I have enough trouble with jigsaws with patterns, let alone ones that are all the same colour :D

Nice idea for whole Steve, it certainly works for me :)

Good choice for Whole Steve. I like the dof and the lighting is spot on. The contrast in colours and textures works well too.
Very nice Steve, a different take on this weeks theme. I particularly like the warmth and textures of the table (y)

Cheers, thanks for taking time to comment.

I have enough trouble with jigsaws with patterns, let alone ones that are all the same colour :D

Nice idea for whole Steve, it certainly works for me :)

Thanks, I don't normally do jigsaws but feel I should be able to manage a 24 piece kids one (and I did it the right way round then turned it over :sneaky:) :D

This weeks winner for me, lve the whole thing.

The idea, the compo, the execution....

A little twist on the theme having it upside down, like the last piece waiting to complete the whole jigsaw. (y)

Mineral - fits the theme, like the low point of view and the inclusion of the peppercorns as well, good lighting, I do find the out of focus peppercorns a distraction tho.

Whole - simple, and I actually like the image, good pov.

Last edited:
This weeks winner for me, lve the whole thing.

The idea, the compo, the execution....
Thanks, that's very kind of you.

A little twist on the theme having it upside down, like the last piece waiting to complete the whole jigsaw. (y)
Thanks

Like it and it works for me, well done on getting a shot in :)
Cheers

Mineral - fits the theme, like the low point of view and the inclusion of the peppercorns as well, good lighting, I do find the out of focus peppercorns a distraction tho.

Whole - simple, and I actually like the image, good pov.
Thanks (y)

whole is a nice shot, like the idea and the lighting, but i do find id rather have the jigsaw face up than the plain back.

Thanks. Fair enough comment, it was one of my kids puzzles and is quite bright, I felt it worked better without the distraction of the picture.

When the theme was announced last week I thought great as I was planning an evening trip to London, lots of structures there! Ended up organising it for today so had a decision to make last night, did I do something at home or post something late for this week. With the threat of storm Doris messing up our plans I decided to get something quick last night, so after a think I settled on the kids Jenga set. I had a play with several lighting set ups but ended up with a smallish LED light and a gold reflector, pretty happy with how the shot came out but it's maybe a little bright in the top left, which I would have toned down a bit more in processing if I had noticed it earlier.

Not sure if the London trip will go ahead but if it does I'm hoping for a good theme for this week to maybe get an early shot rather than leaving it to the last minute like I normally do.

Jenga tower by Steve, on Flickr

The gold reflector was a good touch Steve, gives the wooden blocks a lovely warm colour. All looks fairly calm (comparatively) in SE so you should be OK for your London trip.

The gold reflector was a good touch Steve, gives the wooden blocks a lovely warm colour. All looks fairly calm (comparatively) in SE so you should be OK for your London trip.

Thanks Carl, I was pleased with the warmth that the reflector gave. Just 50mph winds here at the moment and forecast to calm down somewhat before we'll be in London so should be ok as long as no trees come down to disrupt the trains.

I like the effect of the gold reflector. Nice warm tones of the wood, but the DoF is a touch too shallow for my taste.

The gold reflector has worked very well with the wood, something melting into the back ground on the right is a little distracting from the focus on the blocks. Maybe a touch more dof and less negative space on the right. (y)

I love the texture and the colour on this image. i have literally just put my jenga image up without seeing this. it makes mine look quite inferior. :) I struggled with how to crop my version, but you have nailed it. nice one.

Good structure shot, like the focus on the few blocks showing some nice grain :)
Thanks

I like the effect of the gold reflector. Nice warm tones of the wood, but the DoF is a touch too shallow for my taste.
Cheers, I tend to quite like a very narrow DOF but I know it's not something everyone likes and it does fade off slightly more than I expected.

The gold reflector has worked very well with the wood, something melting into the back ground on the right is a little distracting from the focus on the blocks. Maybe a touch more dof and less negative space on the right. (y)
Thanks, I agree about the light patch on the right hand side, I had left something on the back of the table which has picked up a bit of light. I have wondered if I have room on the original to crop so that the blocks are on the right with the space on the left. Might have to have a look when I'm home.

I love the texture and the colour on this image. i have literally just put my jenga image up without seeing this. it makes mine look quite inferior. :) I struggled with how to crop my version, but you have nailed it. nice one.
Thanks, I like yours with your daughter playing it, that was a nice touch. I'm not 100% convinced on the crop but pleased you like it.

Can't beat a game of jenga :)

A Closer crop would work as well.

Cheers.

Cheers, I wasn't quite sure on this crop. I'll have to have a play to look at a tighter crop.

Hi Steve.
Mineral - Clever idea and nicely executed. I'm going to disagree with the comments about moving the front peppercorns, I tend to prefer that the focal point is some way into the image, which the oof peppercorns facilitate.
Whole - Reading through the comments I love that you turned it over once completing it, it certainly works.
d00ds idea about sticking it to a window certainly has some merit too, one for a re-shoot maybe.
Structure - Agree, the gold reflector works in that the added warmth is good. How did the London trip go? I know there were a few issues with trains, but a lot had cleared by 5pm (I certainly had no issues getting home, but the train was diverted a few stops after mine).

Hi Steve.
Mineral - Clever idea and nicely executed. I'm going to disagree with the comments about moving the front peppercorns, I tend to prefer that the focal point is some way into the image, which the oof peppercorns facilitate.
Whole - Reading through the comments I love that you turned it over once completing it, it certainly works.
d00ds idea about sticking it to a window certainly has some merit too, one for a re-shoot maybe.
Structure - Agree, the gold reflector works in that the added warmth is good. How did the London trip go? I know there were a few issues with trains, but a lot had cleared by 5pm (I certainly had no issues getting home, but the train was diverted a few stops after mine).

Thanks for the comments. The London trip went ok, took a bit longer getting up to London than normal and once there we decided to spend some of the time around underground stations rather than along the southbank which we had originally planned but it was a good evening.

Back