Stolen cameras

the only downside to the 'lock on drive-off' system is when working in rural areas and my passenger gets out to open a gate, the doors lock when driving through the gateway and I have to remember to unlock the passenger door to let the passenger back in!

That must be annoying, mine doesn't lock until you reach 15mph but you can override that if needs be

That must be annoying, mine doesn't lock until you reach 15mph but you can override that if needs be
I could have it turned off or go at crawling speed through the gate, but pressing a little button on the dashboard isn't much of a payoff hardship... when I remember! ;)

Funny how bad one's memory can get when it's persisting down... ;)

Working away and only just seen this @Lindsay56

This really riles me, if caught they need waterboarding to squeak the info then have their fingers cracked in a vice.

Anyways, until we have a "sensible" punitive system, do have a think on the bike lock solution others have mentioned. I always have a hardened lock (got it here on a GDM gig in the Canaries), yes the more determined scum will have a solution but most just want a quick grab and will leave something that needs a Stihl Saw.

Hope you get sorted bud,

GC

so sorry to read this @Lindsay56. How gutting :confused: I didn't realise this could happen. I'd have thought everything would be safe out of sight in your boot.

I don't have keyless, but in putting my central locking fob away sometimes I've accidentally unlocked my car as I walk away. Now I'm really careful.

I don't have keyless, but in putting my central locking fob away sometimes I've accidentally unlocked my car as I walk away. Now I'm really careful.

Doesn't auto lock itself in a set time if no doors are opened ?
That in itself can be a pain if you get distracted when you are about to get in the car

Doesn't auto lock itself in a set time if no doors are opened ?
That in itself can be a pain if you get distracted when you are about to get in the car

No it doesn’t. It does have a feature where if you hold the button to lock it, it shuts all the windows too, or to open it, it opens all the windows as well as the doors. The other week I came out having spent about 3 hours in a shop/cafe and all the windows were half open with several £k worth of camera gear in the boot. Again I think it was my error with my key getting pressed as I put it away. I have slightly blacked out windows so people might have thought there was a dog in there. I felt shocked and very lucky when I realised it was all still there.

There’s a lot to be said for good old fashioned keys.

If I lock then unlock my car and don't open a door (including the tailgate/boot) within 1 minute then it re-locks itself. As mentioned above, if one of the doors isn't shut fully and I press the lock button then the horn sounds to let me know.

It seems quite street-wise... in fact, If I'd spent about 3 hours in a shop/café then I suspect it would tell me off for not working hard enough to keep it in the manner to which it has become accustomed (no matter how well deserved my break may have been)!

Last edited:
Again I think it was my error with my key getting pressed as I put it away. I have slightly blacked out windows so people might have thought there was a dog in there. I felt shocked and very lucky when I realised it was all still there.

There’s a lot to be said for good old fashioned keys.

On my previous car the key fob didn't work, and that was more of a problem because if you held the key in the lock that would open the windows as you walk away :banghead:
But I do like that feature in the summer when passengers tend to leave the window open and you can easily close it.
I don't have new cars, only time I did it got mysteriously dented in a car park and quite a few chips on the doors, having an older car means I don't worry too about such things. and I do wonder whether because the car is older and often the camera gear was worth more then the car, thieves don't think there will be anything of value in it, but as I said before if there was a load of gear in it it was in a hard padlocked case that was also attached to the loops in the boot, but I don't often have more then one body and a couple of lenses these days

As mentioned above, if one of the doors isn't shut fully and I press the lock button then the horn sounds to let me know.

Mine's not noisy, it just won't lock, so the lights don't flash and you know

Last edited:
Lots of people seem to leave stuff in the car, mines like the day it came out of the garage, totally and utterly empty, except for a paint brush I use to clean the interior (hate dust) someone once said it was a bit OCD, I think that’s what he said, I was hoovering it at the time.

So if there is nowt to steal they can’t steal it, and ghost immobiliser means they better have a big old flatbed and lift the whole thing, even then the app will tell me where it is :). Got to love the technology.

Last edited:
Lots of people seem to leave stuff in the car, mines like the day it came out of the garage, totally and utterly empty, except for a paint brush I use to clean the interior (hate dust) someone once said it was a bit OCD, I think that’s what he said, I was hoovering it at the time.

So if there is nowt to steal they can’t steal it, and ghost immobiliser means they better have a big old flatbed and lift the whole thing, even then the app will tell me where it is :). Got to love the technology.
But if you're on your way to or from doing some photography then you will have gear in it. Sometimes there is no choice, you have to leave something in it.

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions.
I might try the bike lock idea in future, though that won't work with all items (my MacBookPro was in a bag with no handles), but the idea is sound.
The RFID blocker is fine when you aren't using things - all my spare keys etc are in a foil lined box in the kitchen at the back of the house - but the key signal can be cloned as soon as you get it out to be used. I'm going to follow up the suggestion to disable keyless entry when I get its serviced next month, but in the meantime I'm just being more cautious in terms of leaving things in the car and where I leave the car.

Have you had a look on the internet for your cameras on sale sites and pawnbrokers yet? I'd be doing that if I had the serial numbers. That's a reminder to people to note down the serial numbers of their cameras and lenses too, which is also handy in case of an insurance claim.

Back