STOLEN D3s + D300s & more :(

Just to add you can't go straight to the Ombudsman, you have to follow the insurers complaints procedure fully first.

It's also worth going over any documents/forms with a fine-toothed comb for inconsistencies, but I'd imagine by the line of work he's in Ryan knows all about that (y)

One thing I'm wondering about is, if the area where the keys were taken from is not classed as public then someone must have given the miscreants (not the "client" himself) leave to enter them, which you would think would make them (either the DWP or the security firm if there is one involved) partially liable.

Been reading this through Ryan - you have my sympathy. Hey, we live in Chatteris! Scared now.

I know it's semantics, but think on this.

If a woman is raped she definitely feels violated. Violation comes from an act of violence. There is no doubt your personal space - your home - has been violated so, who couldn't argue uninvited visitors are not performing an act of violating your space?

On the subject of forcible entry. How do you get your hands into a coat pocket? The keys didn't leap out of the pocket by an act teleportation did they? In my opinion, a hand needs to be 'forced' into a pocket to retrieve the contents.

As I said, I know it's semantics but, sometimes that's what the law works around.

I hope you get it sorted.

As I said, I know it's semantics but, sometimes that's what the law works around.

The law defines words to avoid such semantics. When a word has not been defined, if it comes up in court it is then up to the court to define it whereupon it will become law under case law.

Also, insurance policies will often set out definitions in the policy book.

Ryan,

I hope the discussions with Loss Adjuster go well.

Just to let you know that I am happy to assist, if required. Just PM me or post a note and I will give you my email and telephone no.

I'm happy to assist anyway I can, but would reiterate "read the full policy wording". From what little info published online the forcible and violent entry clause has limited application.

To those who have questioned why it applies, it is normal for these limitations to apply to commercial contracts. Many businesses invite the public to their premises and some limitations are necessary.

Ken

Today's update.

The loss adjustor called while I was with a client. I said I would call him back and he said fine but "you might like to know that it looks like you ARE covered".

I called him back and he explained that the insurers say I am covered for the items stolen from home but not for the break in to my car for the items in the boot (£600/£700 worth of tripod and a refelector). I can't quite understand why but after the reply I was expecting this is a minor problem.

Apparently he still has to come to my office to see the whole place (& take pictures). He also wants to see the receipts for the stolen items (which I've provided once already) and all the boxes. Which is ok as I have them all. He's coming up from Maidstone in Kent on Thursday.

Right now I am feeling cautiously optimistic for the first time in days.

Will keep you informed......

R

Today's update.

The loss adjustor called while I was with a client. I said I would call him back and he said fine but "you might like to know that it looks like you ARE covered".

I called him back and he explained that the insurers say I am covered for the items stolen from home but not for the break in to my car for the items in the boot (£600/£700 worth of tripod and a refelector). I can't quite understand why but after the reply I was expecting this is a minor problem.

Apparently he still has to come to my office to see the whole place (& take pictures). He also wants to see the receipts for the stolen items (which I've provided once already) and all the boxes. Which is ok as I have them all. He's coming up from Maidstone in Kent on Thursday.

Right now I am feeling cautiously optimistic for the first time in days.

Will keep you informed......

R

(y)

That is great news...

Lets hope for some news about a D700s or something in the next week..!

Ryan,

Good news - hope it continues this way.

As I said before from what limited detail of cover published I could not see how they could get out of paying for the items in the house. Good news.

If you get subsequent problems or need guidance, my offer still stands.

I'm so pleased for you that there is now light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully you will be able to relax a little now.

Good luck,
Ken

That's excellent news Ryan!

Might I say that it's nothing less than you deserve for your honesty too :)

The boot of the car thing is always a tricky one. Some insurers will only cover a saloon car which has no access from inside the car.

I'm not so sure such a thing exists anymore, most cars have some sort of load through facility?

Good luck with the rest of the claim and here's hoping that New Year sees you with some nice shiny replacements :)

Great news Ryan, hope everything continues to go well.

The boot of the car thing is always a tricky one. Some insurers will only cover a saloon car which has no access from inside the car.

I'm not so sure such a thing exists anymore, most cars have some sort of load through facility?

THey are becoming less common, but the boot in may car is totally isolated from the cabin - no load through at all.

Most policies now will cover stuff that was in the boot of a hatchback or estated under the factory fitted shelf/load cover. Ryan - that might be one to take up with the motor insurance company - they often have a personal posessions clause in them.

Great news Ryan, hope everything continues to go well.

THey are becoming less common, but the boot in may car is totally isolated from the cabin - no load through at all.

Most policies now will cover stuff that was in the boot of a hatchback or estated under the factory fitted shelf/load cover. Ryan - that might be one to take up with the motor insurance company - they often have a personal posessions clause in them.

I have been looking at policies and some specifically ask if cover for kit left unattended in a vehicle is required.

You must be breathing again...
Blue doesn't suit you mate...

I'd also like to add that if things for some reason still go pear-shaped, I will definitely be putting something in the kitty - especially after all the support I've had from Members lately...

That's great news mate...hope it turns out to be the case...

As far as losing the stuff from the boot goes, I'd certainly pay £700 to get my other £10K back so you may just have to write that off.

You must be breathing again...
Blue doesn't suit you mate...

I'd also like to add that if things for some reason still go pear-shaped, I will definitely be putting something in the kitty - especially after all the support I've had from Members lately...

Thank you very much - that's so kind of you and everyone else. I couldn't take money from any of you though - although I REALLY DO appreciate such kindness.

Ryan

That's great news mate...hope it turns out to be the case...

As far as losing the stuff from the boot goes, I'd certainly pay £700 to get my other £10K back so you may just have to write that off.

Yeah - that's the way I see it too.

Cheers mate :)

That's excellent news Ryan!

Might I say that it's nothing less than you deserve for your honesty too :)

Good luck with the rest of the claim and here's hoping that New Year sees you with some nice shiny replacements :)

:plus1:

Sounds promising Ryan, fingers crossed for you.

Hmm, some of the policies I looked at, would not cover any items which could be gotten to from the main cabin, even if they were out of site. This also discounted cars which had levers in the cabin which pop the boot open.

The policy I went for (home and contents from Abbey in the end), I explicitly asked, and was told that so long as the items were not visible, they could be under a rug.
Edit:
That said, Abbey have recently changed my home policy, and unless I have dead-bolts on all doors and windows, they will only cover property which is stolen from the house, from a room where there is someone sleeping!

Just managed to get back on here, spare time being a limited comodity in recent times!

Ryan, I've just finished reading through the whole thread and my heart kept sinking until the past page or so. Really pleased things are on the up regarding the claim. Clouds & silver linings spring to mind.

I do hope you get a rightful resolution to this awful & unenvious situation soonest and that if/when the thieving bastids ar caught they get what they truely deserve! (y)

Sounds promising Ryan, fingers crossed for you.

Edit:
That said, Abbey have recently changed my home policy, and unless I have dead-bolts on all doors and windows, they will only cover property which is stolen from the house, from a room where there is someone sleeping!

:D Who makes these clauses up??!! What if there was two people in the room and one was awake and the other asleep?? What if you sleep walk?? Jeez - it's so ridiculous I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :bonk: :bang:

I'm gonna start my own insurance company. I think I'll call it Common Sense Insurance Ltd. Any takers??

Just managed to get back on here, spare time being a limited comodity in recent times!

Ryan, I've just finished reading through the whole thread and my heart kept sinking until the past page or so. Really pleased things are on the up regarding the claim. Clouds & silver linings spring to mind.

I do hope you get a rightful resolution to this awful & unenvious situation soonest and that if/when the thieving bastids ar caught they get what they truely deserve! (y)

Thank you mate. Btw - where are you in Cambs? I think we need to sort out a cambs meet sometime - perhaps Cambridge??

good news, anything from the Bobbies on the deliquents?

Pleased for you Ryan mate. Lets hope it gets sorted asap.

Ryan,

If the insurers fail to pay, would consider a court action against them.

theft by its definition is not necessarily violent or forceful....... definition

The problem you have there is that insurers define the cover in their policy wording and that is what indemnity is based on. It doesn't matter what anyone else defines "theft" as.

OP - do you have your policy wording? Have a look and see if there is any mention of "theft by deception" and what the exceptions are. If there is an online copy of the wording I don't mind having a look at it for you. I'm not an expert but I do work in insurance so I might be able to help. If they do repudiate your claim and you want to take it further you will need to follow the companies complaints procedure to it's limit and then you can take it to the ombudsman:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/default.htm

EDIT - sorry, don't know what page I was looking at but I see you've had a result anyway!

Ooh, I won't assume i've had a result until I have the new kit or money in my hand. But things are looking better than 24hrs ago!

good good.........

as for stuff in the boot will be covered by the car insurance (unless the commercial insurance covers that as an extra)

Generally personal possessions on a car policy are about a £150 limit........... otherwise people would drive around with 20 macbooks, 5 Canon DIIIs's, and a shedload of other stuff in the boot and then stage a rearender........ - well thats the Underwriters /Actuaries theory.....

http://www.gumtree.com/london/31/51268031.html

Thoughts anyone??

I didn't have the case stolen but I guess it's easily replaced?

I would ask for the serial number so you can check the warranty is valid or something. Make it up.

You could ask for close ups and not mention the serial number, and then you might be able to spot any marks or indeed, the serial number...

Gary.

Actually it'd be pretty difficult to get a soft-case for that lens - you'd have to contact Nikon direct as most shops won't have them - it's been a bit soon for that to have happened.
Besides which the robbers, unless they're photographers themselves, won't have a bloody clue about what they've got - to them it's just 'a camera lens'...
They'd be amazed if you told them it was worth £1500...

Most people do a double-take when I tell them how much my kit is worth - most accurately identify it as 'Professional' equipment, but typically estimate the cameras to be worth about £1,000 tops...

Back