STOLEN D3s + D300s & more :(

The 24-70 seems to have vanished :(

Is it worth me contacting Gumtree?

Gary - could you double check your link mate. It didnt work just now :cautious:

No longer working. It was a Manfrotto Tripod with a pretty slick looking Manfrotto Carry bag. What I found strange, it linked through to a Cambridge Camera Shop to give info on the tripod, but it looked slightly different than the one he was selling...

he did not indicate a price and was ken on getting it sold "this week".

Gary.

I think so Ryan, or at least the police. Have you kept any screenshots or is anyone here clever enough to recover page from their history?

Gary.

I think so Ryan, or at least the police. Have you kept any screenshots or is anyone here clever enough to recover page from their history?

Gary.

I haven't but the link I quoted first off might be useful - or not :bang:

I have a very strong feeling we found our crook. Now it's a case of working out how to get the police to nab him ??

I would ask for the serial number so you can check the warranty is valid or something. Make it up.
That probably won't work. Last year I had a lens stolen, and a short while later one very like it popped up on eBay. I asked the seller for the serial number, on the grounds that I'd heard there were some batches of lenses with faults in the AF mechanism. 40 minutes later the auction was pulled from eBay. And of course I lost my chance of getting it back. (If it was my lens, which of course it might not have been.)
You could ask for close ups and not mention the serial number, and then you might be able to spot any marks or indeed, the serial number...
That sounds like a much better plan.

Once I get all this **** sorted out we'll have to get together again for a spot of picture taking. Hopefully we'll get better weather than last time.

Best wishes

Ryan

I look forward to it Ryan, and it's great that things are looking up on this issue, i'm keeping fingers crossed mate, it's so true that you only find out how good an insurance company is when you have to make a claim, i really think it's about time the government put a stop to all this small print crap, and made companies be 100% transparent, and not just insurance companies, although i have a bad feeling i'm hoping beyond hope on that one, best of luck with it Ryan (y)

I feel I have to make a comment about small print. There isn't any.

Many years ago many businesses used to put the terms and conditions hidden away in small print. Some companies still do this. Insurance companies have not done this for over forty years but people still feel it's there. Why? Because they don't read the policy or don't understand it and then blame the small print.

There were a few smaller companies who were harsh on the interpretation of the terms but the majority looked at things with an open mind. The aim was to pay the claim. This has led to, again a minority, of people putting in fraudulent or elaborated claims. This in turn has been met by all insurance companies looking more closely at each claim. Nevertheless 100,000's of claims are paid quickly and to the satisfaction of the policyholder every year. A few are the subject of investigations and, in some cases declinature. These are the one's that people remember.

Sorry, rant over.

The key is when you set out to buy insurance apply the same common sense you use when you buy a camera or lens. Investigate, pick it up, fill if it's right for you. Cheaper is not always best. Ask does it do the job you want it to. If you are not sure, what do you do. Ask for advice - that's the Insurance Broker. There should be no surprises when you have a claim if you follw this advice.

Ken

Today's update:-

The Loss Adjustor has been and gone. He's taken pictures of all the boxes, the office, my desk etc. On leaving he said words to the effect "I will be instructing your insurers to make a cash settlement for the full value of your equipment and I would expect you to receive it just after Chrsitmas".

By "full value" he is currently discounting the tripod and reflector in the boot of my car (approx £700) BUT having reread the policy wording many times he thinks I COULD still be covered for this stuff. He admitted that after 30 years in his profession he still finds the policy wording to be very difficult to decipher at times!! No wonder we all get confused.

While I'm at it - a big thanks to Stuart at Digital Depot for all of his help - cheers mate (y)

Will update further as and when.

Ryan

Merry Christmas, sort of.

Glad you got most of it sorted out and fingers crossed for the tripod etc.

Now all you need is your car back and the "persons" responsible given a bloody good.... err talking to by plod.

Thanks everyone. I'm still not counting my chickens but here's the details:-

Photo-Shield policy by Winsover Howden - http://www.winsoverhowden.com/

An old friend of mine who I used to play football with heads up their photographers insurance section. His name is Steve Beveridge and he can be contacted on 01775 714424 - ask for Steve directly or tap in ext 690 at the end of the prompt. Tell him Ryan sent you and you want one of his "specials". Please note though - this insurance is only for pro or semi-pro togs. If you ain't earning part of you living from photography I don't think you'll get covered.

The one thing I didn't know when I took out my policy is that Winsover are only a brokers here. The policy is actually underwritter by Sterling Insurance. And as you may have gathered from the rest of this thread - they will almost certainly get a Loss Adjustor to assess any claim and decide if you're covered or not. I'm sure many other insurers are just the same but it's worth noting.

One thing that I did like about these insurers is they do not insist on burgalr alarms - although they do expect you to have mortis-lock style doors - or double glazed/UPVC as I like to think of them.

Hope this helps guys.

Ryan

Great that the insurance has settled.
I hope you have your house secure.

I feel I have to make a comment about small print. There isn't any.

etc etc

^^^ what he said ^^^

When people buy insurance, all they worry about is the price, I should know I used to have to sell the stuff.

Before you even pick up the phone you should sit down and work out how much you need to insure to replace all your kit as new and what you want it covered for. Take this list and then go shopping for insurance. Do a quick search online, and then call the insurance company to check that everything you want covered under the insurance will be covered. You should do this well in advance of your policy coming up for renewel if you're looking to switch insurers, though typically insurers won't quote if you want the cover to start in more than 30 days time. Narrow your choice down to two or three insurance companies and get them to send you the relevent policy books. Read and compare them thoroughly. Then choose the company that best matches your requirements. If you can only afford the cheapest insurance then be aware of its limitations and do your best to limit your exposure to uninsured risks.

If you think all of the aboce is too much trouble, think about how much stress and trouble you have to go through if you find out that your insurance isn;t what you thought it was and you're not covered.

^^^ what he said ^^^

When people buy insurance, all they worry about is the price, I should know I used to have to sell the stuff.

Before you even pick up the phone you should sit down and work out how much you need to insure to replace all your kit as new and what you want it covered for. Take this list and then go shopping for insurance. Do a quick search online, and then call the insurance company to check that everything you want covered under the insurance will be covered. You should do this well in advance of your policy coming up for renewel if you're looking to switch insurers, though typically insurers won't quote if you want the cover to start in more than 30 days time. Narrow your choice down to two or three insurance companies and get them to send you the relevent policy books. Read and compare them thoroughly. Then choose the company that best matches your requirements. If you can only afford the cheapest insurance then be aware of its limitations and do your best to limit your exposure to uninsured risks.

If you think all of the aboce is too much trouble, think about how much stress and trouble you have to go through if you find out that your insurance isn;t what you thought it was and you're not covered.

:agree:

Working in insurance you wouldn't believe the amount of conversations I have with people who have no idea what they have purchased and what they are (and are not) covered for. Policy wordings are not the most scintilating read but the information is clearly there - and if you don't understand something you can always query it with your broker / insurance company.

I'm not saying insurance companies are always right but they are not always trying to shaft you either...

Thanks everyone. I'm still not counting my chickens but .....................

just read the thread through - very sorry to realize the stress, but glad it is moving to a conclusion..............

nobody has said........if your car was stolen ie No fault on you part...

i used "Help Hire" last year, who provided a free car, providing it was essential for my "travel to work" .. then billed the insurance company

too late for you ..but maybe a "heads-up" for anyone else ?

good luck.....

i used "Help Hire" last year, who provided a free car, providing it was essential for my "travel to work" .. then billed the insurance company

This would only normally work for a NON FAULT RTC if you hired a car and sent the bill to the insurance company following a theft they would just return it. MOST companies do not give a hire car following a theft.

You'll no doubt have an enounter with the insurance company's investigations dept then. From (bitter) personal experience may I suggest you ask for all communications to be in writing, they have a habit of wanting everything to be done over the phone, but unless you record the call you'll have no way of proving what information you've given them and what they've said to you...

This is an excellent piece of advice and it saved me a few thousand pounds when i had £3k worth of camera gear stolen from my van. Any telephone calls i received i took times and names and when the insurance company tried to wriggle out of it i was saved by some information that i was given by someone i had spoken to previously when i first made my claim. I just gave them the time and name of the person that i had spoken to and told them to listen to the recording that they use for training purposes, luckily for me they did and i got paid out.

Sorry to hear what has happened, i have been there and know exactly how gut wrenching it feels. The police in my case were totally not bothered after they had given me a crime number, even though there was cctv of the £$%^&**'s breaking into my van. As others have said i will keep my ears to the ground. Although it has probably been traded for a wrap of smack ( or what ever it is being called this week ).

Keep your chin up

Stew

very sorry to hear this.

you shouldnt of said it was your fault for leaving keys in your pocket, it wasnt.
your employer has a duty of care for you and your belongings and they shouldt have you leave your coat in a area open to the public.
your employer should also be held accountable for security arrangements and your safety.
which has been compramised now your house has beeen burgled

i hope it all comes good for you in the end

That's great news Ryan - finally piece of mind to know you're covered (y)

Now all you need is your car back and the "persons" responsible given a bloody good.... err talking to by plod.

As all the prisons are full to bursting, persons found guilty of non violent offences should be put into stocks in the middle of town and be pelted with rotten fruit as they did in the middle ages, if the humiliation didn't shame them into changing their ways i'm sure it'd do more to lift the spirits of honest people to be the ones doing the throwing.

The police in my case were totally not bothered after they had given me a crime number, even though there was cctv of the £$%^&**'s breaking into my van.

This is what really ****es me off, there's CCTV everywhere now which must have cost millions to put in, on TV a while back it was said there's more CCTV in your average UK market town than there is in Texas.

Why is it there if not to solve crime, what's the point in having a law that says the fine for dropping litter is £50 if nobody is bothered about enforcing it.:shrug: or we could find who stole your camera with CCTV but we can't afford to look for it.

As all the prisons are full to bursting, persons found guilty of non violent offences should be put into stocks in the middle of town and be pelted with rotten fruit as they did in the middle ages, if the humiliation didn't shame them into changing their ways i'm sure it'd do more to lift the spirits of honest people to be the ones doing the throwing.

While we're at it, serious criminals could be pilloried or better yet stuck in small cages at the town marker and allowed to rot...though the smell of decaying child-molester might put people off visiting...

I think outsourcing the Prisons to India or Pakistan would be better...

Do rocks count as rotten fruit??...... ;)

Ryan, my offer in post #58 still stands, the camera (and lenses) will be free after Sunday should you need it to tide you over.

Ryan, my offer in post #58 still stands, the camera (and lenses) will be free after Sunday should you need it to tide you over.

Hacker - you're an absolute gent. I missed you're offer first time around but that is SO kind of you to offer me your kit.

However as of yesterday I now have another new D3s and 24-70. I bought them out of my own pocket and am just waiting (praying) for the the cheque to come from the insurers!!

Obviously I'm still down a body and a couple of lenses (and tripod etc) but I have my baby back and the rest will come in time. :)

For the record I'm not keeping my kit at home anymore. Fortunately I have a couple of places I can keep it away from home that isn't too far away should I need it in a hurry. And they are places where there are people 24/7 (y)

As always - will update further as and when.

Back