Street photography - 35mm or nifty fifty

I've always favoured the 35mm myself, and staying with the same lens you start to see the scenes as it sees them.
When I use zooms I'm all over the place.
Using a prime keeps me focussed and produces better results imo.

I think 44mm (FF) is technically what the eye sees if you are really getting into it.

However, the 35mm & 50mm (and equivalents) are great for street photography. I have used both, but really love using a 24mm for street photography.

The 35mm allows you to get more into the frame, but if you are uncomfortable getting close then the 50mm is great.

50mm (film):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132637112@N06/33585906372/in/album-72157679521643742/

24mm (film):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132637112@N06/33437533263/in/album-72157679521643742/

40mm (film):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132637112@N06/33342694300/in/album-72157679521643742/

And a coupe digitals:

35mm (52m equivalent):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132637112@N06/33817104170/in/datetaken-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132637112@N06/34492909325/in/datetaken-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132637112@N06/34492907945/in/datetaken-public/

All photographs are candid :)

For a crop sensor, I usually find I get more dramatic photos using a 50mm than a 35mm, the only thing is you really have to back away from your subject

Tend to find being closer to subject (portrait) gives more dramatic effect 9/10. Nothing worse than when a street photo has been taken from miles away and is just a shot of a head imo - not that it doesn't work, but if someone has a body of work is like that it is off putting for me. 50mm is a cool focal length though (35mm is 50mm eq on APS-C).

Different tastes and all that jazz.

Last edited:
These are FF equivalents, and some cropping may have been involved.

All with strangers, who did not know I took the shot

Personally, I'm currently sticking with the 28mm of my Leica Q for street

21mm

she waits.. by dancook1982, on Flickr

28mm

Rawr by dancook1982, on Flickr

L1070541 by dancook1982, on Flickr

35mm

Nun by dancook1982, on Flickr

_DSC2955 by dancook1982, on Flickr

55mm

Bridget Jones - revisited by dancook1982, on Flickr

90mm

Untitled by dancook1982, on Flickr

DSC03214 by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
It depends on how you want to shoot and what you want the main focus to be. Personally I prefer 35mm (full frame) as I like to have more of the environment, if you were wanting to capture the individuals and a bit of the surroundings then 50mm. However I tend to use 85mm for this

21mm

28mm

35mm

55mm

90mm

Stunning shots Dan, although I think number 2 spotted you . Like the PP too (y)

21mm

28mm

35mm

55mm

90mm

Have to agree with Chris, cracking pictures. I like the last two but the nun one is my favourite and just looks right in B&W.

I just bought a 28mm to try for Street photography, so far most of mine have been with 35 - 80mm kit lens and a couple with zoom 80 - 200mm for distance shots.

I definitely prefer the 28mm focal length for street. Some people say you need a lot of confidence to get in close but, personally I don’t find that. Somehow it feels more natural to me and there’s less need to point the camera directly at the subject. I shoot with the Ricoh GR and the Leica Q, both of which are 28mm (equivalent on the Ricoh). The other great thing is the responsiveness. The Leica has incredibly fast autofocus - which is amazing given its contrast detect only - and the Ricoh has snap focus which is like a really handy way of zone focusing.

When I try shooting with a longer focal length, i.e. 50 mm and even 35mm to a lesser extent, I find I’m having to move the camera about more to get the framing right and that makes me more noticeable.

The only drawback with 28mm is that it can distort straight lines a bit, especially if you’re shooting from an angle. I’d still strongly recommend it though!

I'm sure you'll be shooting these people in a non-exploitative, non-voyeuristic way, but do be careful out there.

Just reading through this thread as it's been bumped, and saw this quote from StreetSnapper.

I'll happily start another thread if someone says so, as I don't want to detract from the OP's thread, but was wondering what this means. I understand to a certain extent, the non-exploitative quote for instance as in making monetary or notoriety gain from the images, but the voyeuristic one?

35mm - MF is too bulky (but a WLF can be more discreet than having a camera to the eye.)

Just reading through this thread as it's been bumped, and saw this quote from StreetSnapper.

I'll happily start another thread if someone says so, as I don't want to detract from the OP's thread, but was wondering what this means. I understand to a certain extent, the non-exploitative quote for instance as in making monetary or notoriety gain from the images, but the voyeuristic one?

I assume he is referring to it not being for some kind of sadistic, weird, curious pleasure? Just a guess, does seem a little random. Many photos are purely for the art/pleasure of it, even if in this instance it is capturing a potentially unpleasant experience.

I don't do much street photography, but when I do, I prefer 28mm over any other focal length, probably because most of my street photography has been with my (now defunct) Ricoh GR. 28mm tends to include more of the background, which can add a lot to a street image imo.

Last edited:
I'd say full frame equivalent of 50mm is best for street photography or 35mm on crop sensor.
However, as always, the best lens is whichever one you will take plenty of photos with and enjoy using!

I think I read an article by Joel M.... who described the benefits of a variety of focal lengths. I will see if I can find it.

Like RobertDC suggests, when you use a wide angle lens you can be quite close to your subject and although they may be aware you are taking photos, they may not realise they are in the frame. I think it's nicer to be close to your subjects. If they really have a problem with being included in a photo you will be able to tell. With a long lens it does sometimes feel a bit unfair and 'stealing' pictures of people. Supertele grab shots of people rarely look good IMHO as you don't feel immersed in the scene with the subject. Sometimes I see those shots and think it would be more ethical (and better in terms of results) if the photographer found a model to shoot.

When I shot on Canon FF my fast prime was always a 50mm, now I am looking to get a fast prime for my Fuji system I am torn between 35mm (50mm equivalent) and 23mm (35mm equivalent). It will be mainly used for street and the odd landscape when I am travelling light, so leaning towards the 23mm.

I tend to like the 23mm / 35mm equivalent field of view of my X100F and use this focal length with my other ASPC camera, which I recently switched to an XT3. Having said that, I occasionally take a 35mm (50 equiv) and 50mm (75mm equiv ff) if I can't be bothered engaging people as much and want to stand back a bit.

My primary is the 35mm Sigma 1.4 ART lens because it allows me to get the whole range of shot, be it a big shot or a portrait shot.

I find that I much prefer shots from 50mm to 35mm in general, so much so that I sold my 35mm Zeiss FE f2.8 lens because I never wanted to use it.

I find that I much prefer shots from 50mm to 35mm in general, so much so that I sold my 35mm Zeiss FE f2.8 lens because I never wanted to use it.
If using a fixed lens rather than a zoom, have you tried 40mm? I find this is a good compromise between 35mm (which can sometimes look a bit 'remote') and 50mm, which I find can often be a bit too tight in its field of view. If you use a Canon DLSR you could perhaps try the 40mm pancake lens, which is a lot more low-profile and discrete than using a zoom or even a 50mm.

Back