weekly StuartPearson 52 for 2020 - Week 51 - Decor(ate)

Definitely liquid.. again, no idea what it is. Reminds me of those multi-coloured glass ornaments from the 70s.

Interesting liquid image Stuart
Liquefy tool?

I like the spiral shape and the orange/red streak running through it.

That is very cool - liquify tool? Either way - the colours and shapes are wonderful.
Love all the different colours that you've caught.
What is it? I've no idea.
That's a super liquid abstract. Tell us what and how!
Great stuff - don't know how you did it but certainly a liquid theme.
Definitely liquid.. again, no idea what it is. Reminds me of those multi-coloured glass ornaments from the 70s.
Interesting liquid image Stuart
Liquefy tool?
Nice Image, great colours however you did it.

Pete
I like the spiral shape and the orange/red streak running through it.
Very Creative and colourful What is it/how was it done?
Cracker jack of a liquid shot, love it.
Very liquid looking , would like to know how you did it!
Fantastic photo. Spill the beans.

I have been meaning to respond sooner, was not an attempt to build up the anticipation!!!

The setup of the image starting as me blowing food colouring through a tube with a black background behind. The tube (piece of telephone cable) in mounted in an upside down plastic bowl (shop bought trifle! packaging) with a broken pipette on the end which I am adding the liquid to.

a816111c092b581b4fcf3fe599acff5f.jpg

As you can see this is very messy, when using the red food colouring it looked like something out of a horror movie!!

Unfortunately due to not having a one way valve in my tube I wasn't getting great images as the majority of the liquid was going back down.

That's when I introduced bubble liquid in addition to the food colouring and I ended up with this, lets define it as an "interesting shape" :cautious:

2e3c4e09d39bdde0dadd0b66cef7a16f.jpg

After I processed the "image" in the Affinity Photo ipad app to enhance the colours it became even more "interesting" :cautious::cautious:

2e3c4e09d39bdde0dadd0b66cef7a16f(1).jpg

After I achieved this look I used a Twirl filter in the app, I no longer had the original so I have recreated the image this morning, here is link to a screen recording video (edited in Luma Fusion ipad app) that shows the twirl filter in action.
Twirl Filter in Affinity Photo App (YouTube)

In case anyone is interested, for a limited time all Affinity apps are 50% off, this makes the ipad app £10 and fantastic value.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining last week's shot.
Is the current one a crystal ball with a laser shone through/at it? (That would seem to make sense, though not sure how it was convinced to refract to the star shape.

Thanks for explaining last week's shot.
Is the current one a crystal ball with a laser shone through/at it? (That would seem to make sense, though not sure how it was convinced to refract to the star shape.

No, a bit more complex, the points where the lines converge are tiny mirrors stuck inside the biscuit barrel. The green laser fires at the first one then is reflected. Was a nightmare trying to align them, the slightest movement would knock it off. Probably readjusted the mirrors at least 10 times, as always a BTS image helps to show the setup so here it is:

IMG_0418.jpg

I lit a candle and then extinguished it followed by moving it about the barrel to get the smoke particles to show the laser beams. A long time in the making, only 10 minutes for the taking!!
I have used the impainting tool on Affinity Photo to remove the incoming beam and cloned one of the other mirrors where it would touch the edge.

Last edited:
A Household Item
What a great idea nicely executed too :)

Second recent shot on "Bubbles" There was a film an Alien type thing that had a "creature" just like that, the name of the film escapes me though.

household item - very clever idea, thank you for showing the outside the frame too!

Household item
That's a really interesting shot and I'm glad you showed how it is done, as I wouldn't have a clue.

Hidden
I'm guessing it's something in ice? It's certainly obscured from view, so yes it's Hidden.

Thanks, it's a decaying rose in clear ice with a separate green ice layer above (food colouring), here is the initial setup, I used card to get the positioning right as I only had a limited time until the ice melted!! I ending up changing from the torch underneath to positioning around the edges until I was happy with the results

D8E52CBA-BB4D-4C07-A853-ABBC60D2CA82.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah a Buddha (Ficus ginseng) tree (y)
Well caught on the passing bird too.

Ah a Buddha (Ficus ginseng) tree (y)
Well caught on the passing bird too.

Thanks, it was the best bird I managed to catch, my fingers were getting cramp on my trigger waiting for one passing through the frame! Surprised my bonsai is still alive, I was managing to burnt it to a crisp at a sun trap window, since moving away from direct sunlight the leaves have returned.

since moving away from direct sunlight the leaves have returned.
They are pretty hardy TBH In this weather / heat they are fine outside ( but not in direct sunlight as you now know) but bring it in if its going to fall below 15oC at night.

Nice silhouette with the bonus of the passing bird - worth the wait. You must have been lying down?

Thanks, the bonsai is on the window sill, the camera is on a tripod just below the window level pointing upwards,. I was sitting on the floor to see the camera screen and the view out, the window was fully open.

I think this is a stunning picture, looks even better on Flckr.

I must admit, I'm sure what this is or what you were aiming for Stuart?

I must admit, I'm sure what this is or what you were aiming for Stuart?

Our camera club is following the TP themes as part of our virtual meetings we have continued with past the end of our season. As this week was snappers choice we chose ICM as our theme, This is water running over a spoon whilst the zoom is moved.

Back