Studio Build Thread

I don't know if it's already been posted in here but what are your backgrounds, photography wise? Are you three like minded freelancers who decided to give it a proper go? Kudos and respect either way

I think that would be a good shout Graham. It's on the unbelievably long list of stuff to get organized!

Can't see any point in shelling out over a grand instead of hiring just to get some shots of the studio...unless you intend to try this type of thing! :naughty:

I can see me, personally, using a wide angle like that for wedding stuff, It will be on the list of future purchases! And I'll take any gig going, I really like that kinda lighting/shoot style.

Ah, sorry. I though you were all doing just studio work. In that case I'd buy it, and capex it! Or even better finance it on 0% if you can, always better to keep the capital in your bank account for longer! lol

I think general discussion amongst ourselves tends towards getting involved in the tuition side of things.

Obviously we would really need to get up to speed on the details of things and be able to present that in a way that people could learn from but I reckon its a decent revenue stream.

Will get some pics up tomorrow. There should be a change worth seeing.

I'm tempted to refrain from putting up anymore photos until its complete though. A grand unveiling and all that.

Could really do with a 16-35 to get proper interior shots thought. the 24-70 just isn't wide enough!

Do you want to borrow a 17-35? to document the studio :)

Last edited:
Stevie- said:
I had been thinking of something like a 360 video tour but with everything else haven't really looked into it.

Been following this thread since the start and got to say it's been fascinating.

Why not contact your local Google photographer as they'll do a 360 walk through for you which can go on your Google business page and can also be used on your website. Would really show off what you've got to offer and the work you have put in.

Unfortunately I'm too far away but there are a couple in Glasgow who would be glad to do it for you.

Make sure you put up a link so we can have a good wander round if you do!

Been following this thread since the start and got to say it's been fascinating.

Why not contact your local Google photographer as they'll do a 360 walk through for you which can go on your Google business page and can also be used on your website. Would really show off what you've got to offer and the work you have put in.

Unfortunately I'm too far away but there are a couple in Glasgow who would be glad to do it for you.

Make sure you put up a link so we can have a good wander round if you do!

Good shout! Is there a cost involved in that?

Had a look at the google stuff on your website and its top notch.

Thanks Stevie.

There is a cost involved but it is up to you and the local Google photographer to agree a fee between you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the cost bearing in mind the value that this adds and the improvements that it will make to your Google Places page (please tell me that you have listed the business already!).

We do some still photography as well but reckon you could manage this on your own:D

All the best and please let me know if I can be of any further help,

Jonathan

I had been hoping to get rid of this scaffolding but lights and things haven't arrived on time so its still here for the time being.

7228351258_542f2ce10c_c.jpg

Another 5 of these lights are to be hung in the reception.

7228350378_2646c25308_c.jpg

Details like this internal window ledge really make the place for me. Just using scrap wood. Everything is custom made by hand.

7228349522_082826e427_c.jpg

7228347390_61e9f2e8da_c.jpg

I though I should show you part of the area that we still have to tackle. Room for another studio, viewing room and storage cupboard in this area (currently the workshop!).

7228348144_b9ae8f64f2_c.jpg

I've been entertaining myself by attempting to make a coffee table out of wood reclaimed from the mez.

7228349110_4129f7079c_c.jpg

Heating has started to go in today. Like everything else on site its a massive job as its basically creating a new system from scratch. We've been very lucky that Magic Benny knows the people and has the contacts that he does. Would not have been able to achieve this otherwise!

One of the first things Matt did when we got the keys. Took a while for the wee card to come thought.

I remember when they'd send you a text, so much easier. You're right, takes ages now :(

After about an hour fighting with trying to get a paper roll onto a metal spindle (transfered off the cardboard tube) without it running on squint we ended up with half on and half on the cardboard roll with no way of getting either it all on or all off we were forced to cut it. Its now suitable for headshots but not the length for covering the floor.

There must be an better way of doing it surely? I'd rather not go the whole making a cone out of masking tape as it just seems a really bodged way of doing it but it might be the only real way?

Anyway, plumbing is pretty much all in with the exception of a few Rads which are being delivered soon and fitted next saturday. The surface mounted piping looks great, held in with brass clips and nice bends where possible it looks really good. Its crying out for some old cast style Rads but that'll have to wait.

Loved the pano of the old Nikon room shown above. For a place thats filled with top of the line modern camera tech its got a very steampunk feel to it!

Yup google can take a while, though sometimes quickly. Latest batch of postcards I organised arrived in less than 2 weeks for some reason

Really Gee'ed up today, and not just from the fumes of the wood stain!

Things are starting to come together, almost all the finishings are in, the theater style lights for the reception are in and they are superb wee things. The rest of the main lights should be in tomorrow, plumbing is almost all in - bit of a mess to repair after that but it'll be fine!

Post and run.

Lights
7251146450_c78ef8f560_c.jpg

surface run pipework
7251145754_0c316c0e7a_c.jpg

Gallery has been floored and finished
7251144008_338802ecf2_c.jpg

And a coffee table thats been made out of reclaimed wood from the Mez
7251144780_f63ff093e2_c.jpg

You should think about going into the studio refurb business rather than the studio business.

You should think about going into the studio refurb business rather than the studio business.

Yes it does look fantastic! You've done an amazing job guys.

Some progress shots from today.

There are still another 5 pendants to be hung and these were taken with the outer roller door shut to see what the light was like.

7256810186_d0921303c0_c.jpg

7256809728_cf30529e54_c.jpg

And one with just the side lights!
7256809034_d5b12957db_c.jpg

That wall is just brilliant. Love it.

Just an opinion, but I would have rerouted that copper piping along the bottom of that wall.

That wall would make for an excellent backdrop in itself.

Just an opinion, but I would have rerouted that copper piping along the bottom of that wall.

That wall would make for an excellent backdrop in itself.

It would be nice however it's the reception, we need heating in that space (there will be rads on the wall) and we have not other real option for running the pipe work. we are working in what is essentially an industrial space!

Jim - Thanks, she is pretty! might be needing a loan of that 17mm soon. You'll need to come down and have a look.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Its been a long road but we are almost there!

Last edited:
Jim - Thanks, she is pretty! might be needing a loan of that 17mm soon. You'll need to come down and have a look.

No bother mate - I've been up to my eyes in stuff the last few weeks niot helped by the fact my poor mum has been in hospital for the last two weeks so travelling to Monklands most nights!

I actually drove by one night last week but when I got there it wasn't quite where I thought! I thought you were next to the Tesco but down the hill?

JD

Looks fantastic!!!

The end (or beginning) is now finally in site.

Staring to move gear and stuff into the space what with TV's, computers and junk.

The studio is now set up and we've had a wee chance to play with the lights! its good to have some room but it gets eaten up quickly.

7275486792_271c64d86e_c.jpg

From simple one light set ups

7275486904_6dc4ce4de5_c.jpg

To a little more complex 4 light sets ups.

7275486656_f811d36260_c.jpg

Content(!), framing, processing and all that Jazz not withstanding its good to get to see how the light falls in the studio, get an idea of how well we've controlled the spill etc. Not bad for the time its been since we last got the studio gear out!

Plug points and things all now just seem to be in the logical place, A testament to the thought everyone has put into it!

Back